Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

I'd love to understand how the game scales down to 1vs1 and if the Marie side can play with just one Marie? Or two? What do the rules say for playing with 1 or 2: do they get buffs or extra turns / cards in the initiative?

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Justin.

Yes, the game can be played from 2-5 players. You always need 1 player as the "Invader", controlling the demons but you can have from 1-4 Marines on the opposing team. The game has rules that scale based on the number of Marines you have. The fewer Marines there are on the team, the more powerful those Marines get (additional cards/actions/turns/etc.). A player could control more than one Marine if they wanted to but it isn't required.

To give some fair warning, I've heard a lot of people here describe how playing the game with a solo Marine feels quite a bit overpowered. This is in-part because of all the advantages a solo Marine gets. I can't speak directly to that experience but I will say a few toward that end:

1) The first 2 scenarios (particularly the 1st scenario) if strictly played as suggested in the scenario set-up do seem to be on the easy side in general. The maps are confining and the demons are weaker. I think they're still worth playing...but they aren't all that challenging. Some of the later scenarios feel much tougher for the Marines and more balanced in general, so I suggest you look at all of them.

2) Even when you have only a single Marine-player, I usually suggest playing with 2 Marines, if only because it offers a bit more variety (weapon load-outs, skill cards, positioning, etc.).

That said, if you ever have a chance, give a solo Marine a try. They can really wreck the board from what I've heard, so try playing it against one of the maps that brings some of the heavier demons to the table. The opening scenario of the 2nd "Operation" has been one of my favorites thus far. Last game, the Marines won by a hair. One more demon activation and they would have been toast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.