GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

We have Part 1 of a new InsideGMT article series up today to give you a peek inside the newest version of Mr. President. Here's the link:

Three Presidents for the Price of One: A Look Inside the New Version of Mr. President

Feel free to post any questions/thoughts you have. I'll be happy to answer/clarify as needed.

Enjoy!

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks Gene.

I'm looking forward to reading about the newest version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible that improving alliances with some countries will hurt your relationship with others? Or effect your public approval rating? Example, if you're getting too buddy buddy with Saudi Arabia that might hurt your relationship with Western Europe or Israel.

Also do you need to worry about appeasing your donors so you've got funding for your reelection bid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jimmy! There is a crisis card that has Israel and Saudi Arabia at odds. If you're Very Close with both allies, you have to choose one to lose a level with. If one is closer than the other to begin with, your relationship with the lower one gets worse.

There's nothing systemic with donors per se, but having to please the public is definitely in there in a bunch of ways.

Hope this helps.

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just wanted to say that this is an instabuy when it finally comes out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pares101 wrote:

Thanks Geromino! I really appreciate your support!

Gene

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
pares101 wrote:

Hear, hear! This is my first GMT/P500 game. I'm intrigued by the story and possibilities (and also the failures) of trying to (mis)manage the Government. Looks like fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kristopher! Thanks for making Mr President your first P500 game! I'll do my best to deliver for you!

Yeah, we fail a lot when playing this game. There's so much going on, and you don't have control of, well, much of anything really, especially overseas. So you pick your spots and try to make a difference where you can, but success does not come easily.

Our last two playtests ended in auto-losses, one because of too many Lingering Domestic Issues (LDIs) and one because we let things get too hot between NATO and Russia, and before we knew it, they were at war and escalated to strategic conflict. Auto loss.

So, armed with knowledge of the past two defeats, and fixing lots of things in our approach and awareness of those areas in our current game, what should happen but that the world and the game are proceeding on a course that is radically different from those other two games! That's really the thing that draws me so deeply into the game, personally. It's just such a different experience and story each time I play, each bringing it's own challenges. But it's all inside the framework of a game system that I don't have to relearn to get those wildly different experiences. With 170 cards and so many inter-related game systems with lots of varied results, you just never know what's coming next - either on the event side, or in terms of the consequences of your choices and actions. And I'm still working to make those cards and varied results even better.

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
Loving you is like loving the dead
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I know playtest stats can be goofy, but what approximately do you see your win rate in this iteration of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
I know playtest stats can be goofy, but what approximately do you see your win rate in this iteration of the game?

Hi Sean! I don't have enough playthroughs to know yet. We just got this new version stable and running at the end of May. Since then, we have one full game that we restarted midway due to making some design changes that made us want to restart, and two auto losses (remember, about the only time we get to play is on Fridays). So I don't feel like I can accurately answer your question yet.

What I'm aiming for is about 60/40, with the 40 being how many times you auto lose, and the 60 being completing an entire game. Now once you complete it, there are still "levels" of victory (think Civilization digital) - where you are compared to great and not-so-great Presidents. So, in a way, just surviving a term is a win - just maybe not much of one, in terms of your legacy. On the other hand, you could find out that you're Lincoln!

I hope this helps.

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geraint & Rhyannon
Wales
Briton Ferry
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to this game. I only own Twilight Struggle by GMT as war/politics are not normally themes that draw me in, but there's something about the thought of this game that scratches an itch I didn't know I had! Will read this article with great interest.

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for the next installment! This is probably my most highly anticipated P500 ever. (Space Empires and Fields of Fire come close)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely this will be my first GMT, although I do not know if it's still due to P500 (problems with fees, customs, etc ...) or wait for it to be in stores in my country.

A few questions:

a) How many different candidates to form our cabinet is approximately in the game?

b) There will be "Great Crisis", such as the Cuban Missile Crisis?

c) The game will have the possibility of important decisions, such as the creation of the State of Israel, support the independence of certain countries (Scotland, Catalonia), etc ... ?

e) There is possibility of Impeachment?

f) Possibility during the game to change cabinet, dismiss members, reassign functions of them, choose new members ...

g) It contemplates the game the possibility of a second mandate, given certain conditions of victory, to govern during 4 years more (for the purpose of the game, to start new game with the same conditions that finished the previous game) [with my experience of game tester (board & pc), the campaign option is very fun and increases the "narrative arc"]

h)I do not see in the game appointment or assignment of management of important agencies of the United States (CIA, FBI, ...)

I have many more questions, but for now there are many.

Many thanks in advance for the answers, what you have been indicating I liked it a lot and I look forward to having more news of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.