12 Posts

The Godfather: Corleone's Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Is it actually similar to "Sons of Anarchy"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lev Dukhovny
msg tools
mb
So, kinda hyped for this one. Looks interesting. The thing i don't get is why so many people compare this one with SoA. I mean i get why they are getting compared but i don't see how having one in the collection can stop you from getting another one.

Gameplaywise we have Worker-Placement vs. Giving orders. It's already quite a difference and i don't think it will feel the same.

The main idea behind SoA is controlling right locations to create point-pumping engine and at the same time not giving another players a chance to create their engine. There is no profit in contolling some territory at the end of the round if it's not giving resources which you or your opponent need. In Godfather you actually must control as much territory as you can cause it's profitable by itself.

Hand-managment, Card play, no-dice combat , and little things like the fact that you don't need to hire new goons because they'll come to you themselves in my opinion give us a game that's something unique and totally can be placed on the same shelf as SoA without any worries about one getting all the love.

Of course to be 100% about this i should play Godfather first but that's how i feel after watching playthroughs. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played tonight, really really awesome game actually. Lords of waterdeep meets sons of anarchy, sprinkled in with a bit of champions of midgard.

But it is distinctly different than its predecessors, and does a lot of things right. This went from a 'buy, cause, you know it's Eric Lang' to buy and own and keep forever and play a lot'.

Easy to understand, low set up time (which I've come to admire in game design) yet deep game play. I especially liked:

-discarding down to X cards at end of round. Tough choices!!!
- kill workers. Imagine if lords of waterdeep let you assassinate workers!
- area control adds a really cool Langesque element here that works very well.
- not too much content that you get lost in Too Much Stuff (another reason I enjoy Inis as well).

My one and only concern I had with the game is the msrp. $80 seems steep and I fear that's going to keep some folks from at least trying it to discover the excellent game play. If I had my druthers I'd have replaced the tins with envelopes and reduced the msrp by that cost.

Home run here guys, very great gameplay, excellent design. Here's to hoping people discover this gem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People are comparing it to Sons of Anarchy? I've only watched the videos, but I din't see anything that reminded me of SoA. There's no grouping up in gangs and holding territories, no getting into brawls to take over territory. No random events. Godfather seems much more like a measured Worker Placement game with a neat Area Control scoring overlayed on top and quests kind of like Lords of Waterdeep that actually have dramatic effect on the board state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
...sprinkled in with a bit of champions of midgard.
This I don't see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
zenmazster wrote:
...sprinkled in with a bit of champions of midgard.
This I don't see.

Maybe this wasn't the best analogy. Highly thematic Euro, also you get points at game end for greatest stack of certain colors, which reminded me of champs a bit.

Another great design choice was the concept of money. It kinda turns your conventional thinking of money on its toes. You don't spend money in this game, you have to launder it. So you actually don't want it in your hands at all, you want to get it and hide it fast, plus bogs down your hand size. Just really cool mechanism

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Sons of Anarchy, so I can't comment specifically about that. Having watched all the available stuff for this new game, what I see is:

--the worker placement, quest fulfillment, & variable building spaces (& benefits of owning those spaces) of Lords of Waterdeep

--the area control, benefits of area control, & board-space-scaling-per-player of Tammany Hall (this last is also found in Blood Rage)

--killing/respawning minions, variable resource-providing spaces, miniature quality, many other little bits & the overall vibe of Blood Rage

I LOVE Lords of Waterdeep, Tammany Hall, & Blood Rage. In addition, I ADORE the Godfather movies. It seems almost mathmatically impossible for me to NOT love this game. I'm very excited about it. Seems pretty much like an auto-buy for me personally.

They've made me an offer I can't refuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought going in that it would be somewhat similar to Sons of Anarchy but it's not, they're distinctly different.

This feels much more worker placement-ish than SOA and actions are broken down into smaller chunks. You don't have stuff like riding a huge gang from place to place. The direct conflict here is also only accomplished through completing job cards that require you have resources, you can't simply fight someone. There's no dice and it's not as dramatic, much more of a Euro-game with nice thematic touches. Very fun though and solid theme integration.

I also didn't really get a Blood Rage feel as some have described this. Blood Rage is much more dynamic where as this is more thoughtful and incremental.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superman829 wrote:
I LOVE Lords of Waterdeep, Tammany Hall, & Blood Rage. In addition, I ADORE the Godfather movies. It seems almost mathmatically impossible for me to NOT love this game. I'm very excited about it. Seems pretty much like an auto-buy for me personally.

Haha, that's pretty much my thoughts. Probably my favorite theme, one of my favorite designers, CMoN does great production value. I'm a bit tired on Worker Placement, but I do enjoy Lords of Waterdeep and LOVE Area Control mechanisms and Hand management. From what I've seen there is pretty much no way this game could be less than an 8, 8.5 for me.

That said, the price, and the fact that nothing seems particularly ground-breaking, I'm holding off. I think this will be tops of my Christmas wish list, I'm not in a huge rush to get it like I thought I would be, but I'm definitely looking forward to getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
superman829 wrote:

Haha, that's pretty much my thoughts. Probably my favorite theme, one of my favorite designers, CMoN does great production value. I'm a bit tired on Worker Placement, but I do enjoy Lords of Waterdeep and LOVE Area Control mechanisms and Hand management. From what I've seen there is pretty much no way this game could be less than an 8, 8.5 for me.

That said, the price, and the fact that nothing seems particularly ground-breaking, I'm holding off. I think this will be tops of my Christmas wish list, I'm not in a huge rush to get it like I thought I would be, but I'm definitely looking forward to getting it.

Same.

I'm keen, but think I'll wait for the price to drop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raaj Simran
msg tools
I saw some mechanics from Blood Rage and some Scythe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
This is actually similar to Lancaster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Santa Cruz
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
I see shades of Pitchcar and Don't Wake Daddy, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.