8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Quick thematic game for 3+ players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artur S
msg tools
Hi,
I need some help. I play in a small team, 3-4 people (but usually it ends at 3) and we are looking for game which will let us play a few times in a row during one session. We have expierience with SW: Imperial Assault, Level 7 omega Protocol, Exodus Proxima Centauri, AVP 2nd ed; all of them are great games but takes us so much time to play. In our case there is a weird time collapse where the playing time described in instructions has nothing to do with reality. For example: one mission in AVp should take up to 2h - our last game took 6h.
We like sci-fi theme (but it's not obligatory); will be nice to have minatures.
I would appreciate your suggestions of games that you think I will work for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to tell us how long a 'session' is.

If you are in the 'Gosh it would be nice to play 3 games that each take 2 hours or less' camp you are in a different category than the 'Gosh it would be nice to play 3 games that each play 45 minutes or less' camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mock
United States
Satellite Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Artur. I'm a heavy game fan myself, but I'll try to give you suggestions that would fit your requirements. First off, there is
Trieste
which is a neat 3-player only quick card game. The 3 factions feed off each other and are very asymmetric.
Dominion
is a quick card game that has a lot of variety and strategic playstyle options, if you add a couple of expansions to it. I kind of burned out on it, myself, but I'm sure I played well over 100 times, if not 200 times, before that happened.
I think the best 3-player game is
Troyes
but it is one of my favorite games, to be fair. One of the reasons it is one of my favorite games is that I think it's great at all player counts. I've expounded in many, many threads about why, so I'll stick to your original question and keep it quick. With 3 players, half (3 of 6) possible scoring conditions are in play. This makes for a very unique experience, because about half of what you are doing isn't going to be scored. However, all scoring conditions are secret, with each player knowing exactly one of them, so the suspense really keys up as you try to figure out what everyone else is scoring, which lends itself to a real sidestep/bluff situation among the players as they try to mislead everyone while still trying to score the one they know about. The dice mechanisms are exceptional and the game should be playable in an hour to an hour and a half after a couple plays, no matter how AP prone your group is. This one is bit crunchier than the aforementioned 2 games, and it is a little tough for new players to really get what is going on, but it is well worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur S
msg tools
Session takes around 6-8h of pure gameplay. I think 3 games, 2h each will be perfect.

Don't get me wrong the games which I mentioned, we really enjoy them and we will play them again; the catch is that when the game ends we feel like having another round with it would be great (to get 'revenge' or sth ) but we don't have time for that. Another problem is that because of work, studies etc. we play only once per 2 weeks and during this time that feeling goes away.

Eric, thanks for recomendation, I forgot to mention that pure card games are not what we are looking for but Troyes look nice and I think we could get it a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Gloomhaven and Zombicide: Black Plague both are campaign/ scenario driving and take about 2 hours per scenario. Both play great with 2-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really mean around 2 hours that there are plenty of thematic games out there. Maybe you could check out some dudes on a map kind of game like Blood Rage or Kemet, both should fit into your given timeframe, are thematic (though they are mythological rather than sci-fi) and they do have miniatures, which you said would be a bonus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse has been good for me to get the 'Let's play it again, I want my revenge back!' experience. (Also the, 'All right, I'll beat you _twice_ experience (bwa-ha-ha!).)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Bossaert
Belgium
Langemark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight-Minute Empire—Legends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.