Subject: Core Set Noob rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snake The Sniper
msg tools
badge
mbmb
What's the curved arrow meaning? I can't find in on the manual

edit: also how does the health of support card works?
Like, on my first turn I used Doctor Milan to gain +1 knowledge. Now it's in play forever I guess? But it can be killed? How?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean the reaction symbol? It should be in the manual and on the player aid cards.

When you suffer damage or horror you may assign it to your support (unless it's direct damage/horror, in this case you have to assign it to your character).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Refer to the rules reference, page 3, under "Triggered Abilities"

Ally cards and some asset cards have printed health/sanity value. They function as buffer for your investigator apart from the effects they offer when in play. You may assign damage/horror dealt to your investigator to an ally in play and as long as you don't hit either of the printed threshold, you may leave that ally in play.

For example, Dr. Milan Christopher has one printed health and two sanity. In order to keep him in play, you can only assign one sanity to him at most to keep him in play. You may not assign both damage AND horror to an ally's printed value (i.e. assigning one damage and two horror to Dr. Christopher). As long as one of the threshold is met, you must discard that ally.

On a related note, if a card deals direct damage/horror to your investigator, that damage/horror must go to your investigator; it may not be placed on your ally/asset.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snake The Sniper
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks everyone!
Another question about actions. When I'm enganged with an enemy, it says that only action with a specific tag don't trigger the reaction attack.
But, for example, gaining a resource trigger it?

edit: also question about Prey. It says that it doesn't count when a monster is generated. I drawed it during the mythos phase, so I guess I simply engage the investigator that drawed it. It's not a hunter, so it doesn't move. Does prey not apply then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are referring to attack of opportunity.
When you are engaged with an enemy, the enemy will make an attack of opportunity when you:
1. take a resource
2. draw a card
3. play a card (that does not have the fast key word)
4. move to a different location
5. trigger a card ability that requires an action

Conversely, the enemy will not make that attack of opportunity when you:

1. play a card that has the fast key word
2. trigger a free action that does not require an action
3. fight that enemy
4. evade that enemy
5. perform a "parley" action at specific locations
6. resign from that scenario

When in doubt, check the Round Sequence card that comes with your core set. The rule set is really quite straight forward once you get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snake The Sniper
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks, I'm checking the rules but sometimes I miss something.
I'll paste my edit here:
also question about Prey. It says that it doesn't count when a monster is generated. I drawed it during the mythos phase, so I guess I simply engage the investigator that drawed it. It's not a hunter, so it doesn't move. Does prey not apply then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
The monster might become unengaged for some reason (eg Evade), if it then has to engage again with multiple gators in the location, prey would apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baimi wrote:
You may not assign both damage AND horror to an ally's printed value (i.e. assigning one damage and two horror to Dr. Christopher). As long as one of the threshold is met, you must discard that ally.

Is there a reference for this? I was under the impression that if the same attack was dealing both horror and damage you could (if there was enough of each) assign both values to their maximum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
Baimi wrote:
You may not assign both damage AND horror to an ally's printed value (i.e. assigning one damage and two horror to Dr. Christopher). As long as one of the threshold is met, you must discard that ally.

Is there a reference for this? I was under the impression that if the same attack was dealing both horror and damage you could (if there was enough of each) assign both values to their maximum?

I don't know where the reference is, but if the ally would die as a result of horror or damage taken from a source, it is discarded immediately. Therefore, you would not be able to apply other excess damage/horror to the same card.

You can assign both damage and horror to a single card, but if you were to deal 1 horror and 1 damage to Milan Christopher, he would die as soon as you applied the damage. Same would occur if you applied 2 horror to him.

There is no way to apply 1 damage AND 2 horror to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
I don't know where the reference is, but if the ally would die as a result of horror or damage taken from a source, it is discarded immediately. Therefore, you would not be able to apply other excess damage/horror to the same card.

You can assign both damage and horror to a single card, but if you were to deal 1 horror and 1 damage to Milan Christopher, he would die as soon as you applied the damage. Same would occur if you applied 2 horror to him.

There is no way to apply 1 damage AND 2 horror to him.

Is the damage and horror from an attack not applied simultaneously? Suppose you had an enemy engaged with you that deals 1 damage and 2 horror, can you not assign it all (simultaneously) to Dr Milan? My post below answers this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Literally reading the Rules Reference now, on page 7, under Dealing Damage/Horror it breaks the process into 2 steps, first, assigning damage and horror to you and/or your assets, and you cannot assign more damage/horror than would defeat the cards (but importantly you can assign equal to).

Then in Step 2, you apply damage/horror:
Quote:
Any assigned damage/horror that has not been prevented is now placed on each card to which it has been assigned, simultaneously.

Emphasis mine, but I'm pretty sure that backs up my case that you can assign an asset damage and horror up to its maximum values provided that the final damage and final horror come from the same source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Baimi wrote:
You are referring to attack of opportunity.
When you are engaged with an enemy, the enemy will make an attack of opportunity when you:

5. trigger a card ability that requires an action

Unless the card ability has a fight, evade, parley or resign keyword on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Snakethesniper wrote:

also question about Prey. It says that it doesn't count when a monster is generated. I drawed it during the mythos phase, so I guess I simply engage the investigator that drawed it. It's not a hunter, so it doesn't move. Does prey not apply then?

If an investigator draws an encounter card and spawns a monster and there is not a spawn instruction (either on the monster or whatever made you draw the card) then the monster will spawn engaged with whoever drew it. If there is a spawn instruction, then a prey instruction can affect which investigator the monster engages with when it spawns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Convento
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
Literally reading the Rules Reference now, on page 7, under Dealing Damage/Horror it breaks the process into 2 steps, first, assigning damage and horror to you and/or your assets, and you cannot assign more damage/horror than would defeat the cards (but importantly you can assign equal to).

Quote:
Any assigned damage/horror that has not been prevented is now placed on each card to which it has been assigned, simultaneously.

Emphasis mine, but I'm pretty sure that backs up my case that you can assign an asset damage and horror up to its maximum values provided that the final damage and final horror come from the same source.

This is how I have understood and have played it until the few games I have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Quote:

I will be happily proven wrong in this case as it actually works in investigator's favor to have their allies be able to soak more damage/horror
Thanks for that clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baimi wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Quote:

I will be happily proven wrong in this case as it actually works in investigator's favor to have their allies be able to soak more damage/horror
Thanks for that clarification!

You're welcome. It was certainly vital during my first ever win (out of 4 plays) of Night of the Zealot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Crowell

Urbana
Illinois
msg tools
Snakethesniper wrote:

Like, on my first turn I used Doctor Milan to gain +1 knowledge. Now it's in play forever I guess? But it can be killed? How?

Just to be absolutely clear, everyone's assuming that you've payed the cost of 4 to play Dr. Milan in front of you, in which case he stays as an ally. You can also use him for free to add +1 to an investigation skill test (icon or icons directly below the cost), in which case he is discarded.

I wouldn't bring it up except that your "gain +1 knowledge" statement is ambiguous...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Engels
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to correct a little here:

Baimi wrote:
Conversely, the enemy will not make that attack of opportunity when you:

3. fight that any enemy
4. evade that any enemy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're on the subject of taking damage...

Does an ally need to have been played to absorb damage, or can an ally in your hand absorb damage too?

The logical thing (and how I automatically assumed it was at first) is that it has to be a played ally, but the rules seem to contradict that. The learn to play booklet says "when an investigator is dealt damage, place damage on the investigator card and/or on any of that investigator's asset cards that have health..." and the rules reference says "... that investigator may assign it to eligible asset cards he or she controls." I believe controls includes cards in hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
You can't put tokens on cards that aren't in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
incidentally, you actually do not "control" cards in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awp832 wrote:
incidentally, you actually do not "control" cards in your hand.

From the Rules Reference, page 16:
Quote:
A player controls the cards located in his or her out-of-play game areas (such as the hand, deck, discard pile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JKNyte wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Quote:

This is how I have understood and have played it until the few games I have done.

You're right and I'm wrong. Sorry! I must have missed that bit. The actual application of damage happens after it has all been assigned. So an ally/asset should very much be able to take their full health/sanity before being removed from play (so long as it happens from the same source).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
While we're on the subject of taking damage...

Does an ally need to have been played to absorb damage, or can an ally in your hand absorb damage too?

The logical thing (and how I automatically assumed it was at first) is that it has to be a played ally, but the rules seem to contradict that. The learn to play booklet says "when an investigator is dealt damage, place damage on the investigator card and/or on any of that investigator's asset cards that have health..." and the rules reference says "... that investigator may assign it to eligible asset cards he or she controls." I believe controls includes cards in hard.

Despite whether you control them or not, I'm pretty sure that all cards must be in play to receive damage/horror (cards in your hand don't have 'uses' charges until they're played either). I'm not even sure the text on a card is relevant on assets unless they are in play. Otherwise, wouldn't just HAVING Milan Christopher in your hand give you +1 knowledge? That would be silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.