Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlotte Malone
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm not following part of the rules for Scavengers. The rules say "when you're instructed to rebuild a ruins".....what is this referencing? What actually does instruct you to rebuild a ruins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
creevedog wrote:
My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm not following part of the rules for Scavengers. The rules say "when you're instructed to rebuild a ruins".....what is this referencing? What actually does instruct you to rebuild a ruins?

I'd assume it's referencing whenever you build on top of a location that was razed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Malone
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayfarer82 wrote:
creevedog wrote:

I'd assume it's referencing whenever you build on top of a location that was razed.

Ok, that was the only thing we could think of as well. But the word "instructed" was tripping us up. Like it would be on a card or something.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not correct. There's a card that allows you to rebuild ruins, which means you flip it back to its built side. There's only one card that does it (two copies), can't remember the name off the top of my head.

I did think it was given rather more prominence in the rules than it deserved, given that it's only a single location that has the effect. Would probably have been better as a card clarification rather than a separate rules section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Malone
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
That's not correct. There's a card that allows you to rebuild ruins, which means you flip it back to its built side. There's only one card that does it (two copies), can't remember the name off the top of my head.

I did think it was given rather more prominence in the rules than it deserved, given that it's only a single location that has the effect. Would probably have been better as a card clarification rather than a separate rules section.

Hmm. I'll have to read back through the cards. If there's only one card that allows you to rebuild then it seems rather unbalanced as there are many opportunities to gain a ruin. But only one to do something with it once gained? It still feels like I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still Develop ruins, as in the base game. Use a brick or a development token. The advantage of developing a ruin over another location is that they count as any location type, so you don't need to worry about matching location type icons. It's a small but powerful thing, as my opponent proved in my last game.

It is a bit confusing, took us most of the first game with Scavengers to work out what was what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Malone
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
You can still Develop ruins, as in the base game. Use a brick or a development token. The advantage of developing a ruin over another location is that they count as any location type, so you don't need to worry about matching location type icons. It's a small but powerful thing, as my opponent proved in my last game.

It is a bit confusing, took us most of the first game with Scavengers to work out what was what.

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but I'm still not sure I'm doing this right.

Do the expansion rules allow you to "flip" a ruins regardless of how it was obtained? Or can you only flip a ruins if you gained it (versus being razed by an opponent)?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding based on the rule sheet is that if you have the card in play that allows you to rebuild ruins, you can do that regardless of where you got the ruins from. If you don't have that card in play, you can only develop ruins as per base game rules. Again, how the ruins came into play doesn't matter.

Really should dig out that rebuild ruins card and get the name in here, for posterity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Malone
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
My understanding based on the rule sheet is that if you have the card in play that allows you to rebuild ruins, you can do that regardless of where you got the ruins from. If you don't have that card in play, you can only develop ruins as per base game rules. Again, how the ruins came into play doesn't matter.

Really should dig out that rebuild ruins card and get the name in here, for posterity!

New Village Rising:

True story, when I bought the expansion at a Origins, I immediately took a pic of this card to send to my gaming group because I dug the artwork so much. Didn't pay a bit of attention to the text until I read your post. "Oh, THAT card."

Thanks for the info....I'll keep trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
creevedog wrote:
Interociter wrote:

New Village Rising:

True story, when I bought the expansion at a Origins, I immediately took a pic of this card to send to my gaming group because I dug the artwork so much. Didn't pay a bit of attention to the text until I read your post. "Oh, THAT card."

Thanks for the info....I'll keep trying!

That seems overly powerful, I mean why would anyone attack you if you can just flip it back over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
That seems overly powerful, I mean why would anyone attack you if you can just flip it back over.

Because they need the Spoils and don´t have another way to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aztarun wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

What about buildings with powerful abilities you spend 1/2 your turn getting to, to take it down. they spend a dude and a brick to just get it back. Ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Aztarun wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

What about buildings with powerful abilities you spend 1/2 your turn getting to, to take it down. they spend a dude and a brick to just get it back. Ridiculous.

Burn down the New Village first then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
Aztarun wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

Burn down the New Village first then!

Since it's an Action card, you need 5 attack power to burn down. Usually you don't have such power.

I still have to try this expansion. I hope this new mechanic is not overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.