7 Posts

XenoShyft: Dreadmire» Forums » General

Subject: Rotating Reveal and React phases? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Jones
Ireland
flag msg tools
I'm wondering would there by any real impact on balance if each player did their reveal and react in sequence rather than waiting for one player to finish? e.g. player 1 reveals and reacts to first card, then player 2 does the same and so on. Would help with the combat phase downtime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard some people playing this way. I haven't yet.
I think it is possible, and maybe this is the only way to play this game fast with several players. Possible problems:
1. There is a boss who "kills all wounded troops in all lanes". Or a monster with "now, it is night!" ability. Get ready for this.
2. Xenoshyft strategy stands on suspense. To play a card or ability OR to save it for later to be able to help the other player? In simultaneous play, you will know nearly everything upon revealing the last monsters in the lanes. In case these are really the last monsters (none was added, etc.), it is 100% predictable outcome with a tone of calculations.
3. The answer to "who has the boss" may come too early, making the third rounds more predictable. You don't have to save stronger cards.
4. Probably, there will be a lot of noise and mess =) Everybody tries to kill their monsters, cries for support, etc.

You can think about these possibilities/additions too:
1. Timer for each monster (separately). When the time is up - do whatever you can without thinking. Fight with no abilities and cards.
2. In 4+ player games, a player can participate in the fights of players to his/her left and right only.

Please share your impressions if you try the simultaneous variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to get some feedback on this mode. I plan to start my first 3 player game soon and fear me and my buddies may be turned off by lots of downtime. We are all prone to AP too.

The immolation expansion can't be played this way, is this true ?

I wonder why CMON did not made this the default to reduce downtime. They did something similar for their second Rum & Bones release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got Immolation, so I can say nothing about it. But probably there should be no problem, __IF__ I remember right that the "fire" (or how is it called) tracker advances each time. Ok, it advances... but the Mobs still appear in some sequence. The sequance changes, but the whole picture stays the same. Hm, maybe I'm very wrong =)

Generally, the 3-player game does not suffer from any serious downtime. At least compared with the 4-player games... Still it has some. So, if you want to speed up the things - instead of any changes to the game rules - I advice to use a timer. Sandglass would qualify as well.
5 (or less) minutes to purchase cards and prepare the lanes, 2 minutes per Mob at maximum, etc. (Less during the fist rounds, more during the later rounds, 1 additional minute for a boss fight).
Besides all, it will increase the difficulty AND partly ruin the alpha player syndrome.
This works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, we hate timers and like to indulge in the game. This will lead to slow turns. Therefore a short turn rotation is a great solution as long as it does not break the game.

Quote:
1. There is a boss who "kills all wounded troops in all lanes". Or a monster with "now, it is night!" ability. Get ready for this.

Why do you think this will be a problem ß

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Night" effect will apply to all lanes instead of one lane. This beast tends to go to the end of the lane, so all players will get "night" until it gets killed. Probably this will happen VERY soon, but still it is some kind of a new problem that may not happen in a regular game.

The boss who kills all wounded troops is usually a headache, as it clears not only your lane, but survivors from the other lanes. But in case of a simultaneous playing, the evil effect is doubled: it kills not "survivors", but actual troops who are opposing enemy. In some cases, like a lane based on katanas and damage multiplying effects, it may lead to clearing the whole lane of another player at once. In a 4-player game, I can easily imagine it killing 5-10 troops in lanes and making you loose the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't experience much combat phase downtime. Even if it is not your turn to reveal enemies, you have cards and abilities you can play. I'm always paying attention when it is not my turn because I can always do stuff on other people's turns. The only time I have downtime is if I go early and used up all of my cards and abilities early which hardly ever happens. If it does, the game goes faster as there are less options to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.