Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the time the Crusaders arrive Jerusalem will usually have 15+5+5+3+3 = 31 troops defending it.

The maximum army size of any one Crusader is 30 troops.

Ergo no single player can win in their first assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:The endgame assault on Jerusalem
Innovan (#28314),
Unless the right troops get stuck in the battle tower!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:The endgame assault on Jerusalem
Innovan (#28314),

Has anybody ever seen a player successfully take Jerusalem in the first attack on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovan wrote:
By the time the Crusaders arrive Jerusalem will usually have 15+5+5+3+3 = 31 troops defending it.

The maximum army size of any one Crusader is 30 troops.

OK, am I playing the game wrong? Does the rules state that Jerusalem gets reinforced at 5, 5, 3, 3? I can't seem to find that...

If that isn't the case, I managed to amass 17 troops in a two player game and my first assault on Jerusalem (15 troops) was successful after 5 or so turns.

Do correct me if I'm wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giant Robot
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
OK, am I playing the game wrong? Does the rules state that Jerusalem gets reinforced at 5, 5, 3, 3? I can't seem to find that...

Shawn,

I think there are 4 event type cards; 2 that add 5 troops and 2 that add 3 troops to Jerusalem. I guess most people assume that within the time it takes to travel to Jerusalem with an effective force those cards will have been played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct. But again it would need to be a perfect game for the Muslims for this to occur prior to the first attack. Like you refer to, this would require all 4 event cards that add Muslim troops to Jerusalem to appear prior to the first attack. Also the attack on Jerusalem is as follows:

Quote:
. Aggressors and defenders secretly take the desired number of troops into the hand and show then at the same time, how much they have.
2. The aggressor takes all presented troops and throws them simultaneously into the cube tower.

Again, you can't account for troops that might get stuck in the tower but let's assume that there are 31 Muslim troops available to defend against the first attack. Attacker and defender choose forces secretly. Part of the strategy is in choosing the right forces. Sure you can assume that the attacker will use everything they have but it might be better to just attack with the minimum 5 troops and gain the Pope's bonus for being the 1st attacker. Assuming you lost all 5 troops in the attack, you could go get 10 more with the treasure chests awarded. There is some bluffing involved and I don't think anyone should expect to take Jerusalem in one battle. The siege will take a bit of time.

As the defender, I don't think I'd want to throw all the green cubes into the fray. I'd rather go in stages and see how many get stuck and what the outcome is. If I'm to the right of the player to first attack Jerusalem, I want the game to come back around to me so I might have a shot at it.

Granted you've weakend the force for the next player but rather than rushing to be the first to attack, it's better to bide your time in getting to Jerusalem and build up a greater attack force. Plus if you retreat after the first round, you can still play a lilac cube in your turn to shake it a drop out any green cubes if it looks like another player will attack before you get another chance (shaking cannot be done between rounds in a Jerusalem battel).

I'm not convinced that Jerusalem is the weak spot of the game. Of course the longer everyone waits to attack it, the more time for all 31 green cubes to become available for defense. Not to mention that after the first attack, all remaining green cubes on the board move towards Jerusalem at 3 spaces per turn. This all adds to the tension in the game and should be factored into your decision on whether to attack first or not.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Mines
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Innovan wrote:

Today I played around 6 or 7 times. 5 times with 2 players and we always win with the first attack.
As we added 10 armies more to Jerusalemsauron from the beginning (25), we weren't able to take the city with the first try.

Once we had a rule problem, what is your opinion?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4412269#4412269

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If You attack with just 5 ┬┤Crusaders and Jerusalem defends withs - lets say - 30 Muslims, the Crusaders will loose, but perhaps 5 - 10 Muslims will be stcuk in the Tower.
If You now play the Purple Cube ("empty the tower"), then all these Mulsims are lost for the Defence. Am I right.

And this is assuming, that - according to the word of the rule - if the Attacker looses, all defenders are returned - meaning: Cubes of the Attackers, which leave the Tower, do NOT eliminate Muslim defenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.