Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played for first time and several players got stuck with vile working conditions, according to the resolution of this; they lose certain things and they also lose their turn.

Which means they can't do anything, right? Does this also include secondary actions? Sadly the rules never say.

If they do indeed miss their turn, and cannot do any actions that also means the next round they also get "Vile" working conditions, and they can never escape it.

Because we didn't know how to resolve it, we ended up house ruling it so that it wraps around to give you a bit of a catch-up mechanic.

Can some clarify how a player gets out of Vile working conditions, and what constitutes missing a turn; can they still do secondary actions?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the round (not each player-turn), you move each player down 1 level on the Working Conditions status box. If you are already at 'Vile' status, you don't go down a level (because that's the lowest level).

Next, each player, in turn order, may pay $1 per each Packing House that they have on the board to move up 1 Working Conditions Level. You may pay more money to move up additional levels.

Thus, if you have 3 Packing Houses, it will cost you $3 to move up / improve you Working Conditions status 1 level, or $6 to move up 2 levels, or $9 to move 3 levels, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for clarifying how to move up.

But what actually happens at Vile and how do players get out of it if they have no cash?

The issue is that in our game, players (including myself) simply had no cash to get out of Vile.

Consider this, it says that you miss your turn. If you miss your turn, you can't do anything. If you have no money, you are also doubly stuck as you cannot afford to move up the ladder.

Is this correct? If so, is a player stuck on vile and can never get out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. But again, you are not penalized by the text in the Working Conditions level, _unless_ someone plays a 'Strike' event card.

Otherwise, you can still 'Collect Dues' to earn money, or take 1 of the 6 Grove cards to add to your tableau, (or both in the same turn, if you have a Nursery in a given county, and there is a Grove card from that same county available from the 6 face-up available Grove cards.)

Just make an agreement among the other players and yourself that no one will play a 'Strike' event card, and your safe until you can build up your cash reserves and enough Grove cards in your tableau.

Yes, that can take a while. It's much better, if you can afford it, to pay the Working Conditions maintenance fee every round ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Otherwise, you can still 'Collect Dues' to earn money, or take 1 of the 6 Grove cards to add to your tableau, (or both in the same turn, if you have a Nursery in a given county, and there is a Grove card from that same county available from the 6 face-up available Grove cards.)

How can this be possible? Doesn't "miss a turn" mean you get no actions?

Perhaps if we can clarify what does "miss a turn" mean in the context of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Good question. But again, you are not penalized by the text in the Working Conditions level, _unless_ someone plays a 'Strike' event card.

Yes, okay lets assume someone plays this strike card. You have no cash. You are also at Vile.

This player, according to the text of the Vile section, can do no action and loses some benefits (as per rules)

If this player has no cash they cannot get out of Vile.

This is made worse when the next player or if all subsequent players play strike cards.

Can a player ever get out of Vile if they have no cash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
No player is "stuck in Vile" for the duration. Even if they are unable or do not want to get out for awhile, they still can even win the game which I have seen many times. I even thought later after publication that we might add a house rule that you cannot win while in the vile position simply because so often it has come up. When they become the first player, they may take a collect dues action. They may have to do this for a few rounds if necessary to get enough cash to move up a significant amount. check here: http://www.numbskullgames.com/new-player-tips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "duration", and what do you mean by missing at turn.

I think this is the crux of my issue.

I think missing a turn means you get no actions at all and you miss your turn.

Quote:
No player is "stuck in Vile" for the duration. they still can even win the game which I have seen many times

I don't get it. How can a player who has no turns do anything when they have no cash and rivals simply play strike card every round?

In the rules it clearly says:

Quote:
Working conditions consequences [...] (when strike card is played) [...]

Bad - Player loses his turn for the next round
Vile - Player discards one Grove card and loses his turn for the next round

Earlier on,

Quote:
Actions ... A player may perform one of the standard actions on a turn.

Under this it lists collecting dues as a standard action.

Can you clarify what it means by missing a turn?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is;

Quote:
When your turn comes to be first player, you will not play a strike on yourself. Then you take a collect dues action. If you still do not have enough $$ to get up a few slots, then you wait until you become the start player again at which point you will have enough $$ to get out.

Issue closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.