Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Hoffman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We've only played a handful of games so far, but the last 3, Networker has shown up in the pilot row early and has felt like a huge boon for the player who got it. Do any other pilots give a free action like that? The card is limited by the ship needing to be on a planet surface at the end of each turn, and needing to have planets that are useful to activate before rolling (which is how we interpreted "start of your turn"). Maybe it's just a small sample size so far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he's over powered. More powerful Pilots, imo, are:

Kingpin - Once he colonizes a planet he then gets to use its power, so without using a die its a free action pretty much like Networker.

Speed Demon - After going to unexplored space you can then go to a planets Colony track. Again taking a Move a Ship action for free.

Outlander - After going to unexplored space you can then go to a planets surface. Again taking a Move a Ship action for free.

Untouchable - Ignore all negative effects in unexplored space. If you get a Black Hole or Astroid Field that is like 2-3 'free' moves since you don't have to complete their colony tracks.

Agent - When she moves to a planets colony track she performs its action. Thats like using 3 move actions for 1 really. To do this you'd need to land on the surface, move off, then move back and land on colony track. So thats like 2 free actions.

Concierge - When she colonizes a planet she gets to change an inactive die to anything she wants. Saves a re-roll and guarantees you get what you want. Not a free move but a 100% what you want/need is pretty close.

Gamelyn - He costs 3 dice but almost assures you get 8 extra points at the end of the game. You will also have to have your Galaxy fully upgraded so thats 8 points as well. With just those 2 conditions you are already sitting at 16 points. Hopefully you've taken some planets or gone to unexplored space too.

Dispacher - Like Networker you take advantage of the planets power. Except she doesn't even need to move. You need to use a Colony Die on her but it would take Networker 2 turns to re-use the same planets power compared to being able to just stay on the planet and do it over and over again with as many Colony dice as you have.

Depending on your specific circumstances any of the pilots could be useful but the above 9 (including Networker) all all very powerful it seems. With so many its hard for me to single 1 out as 'overpowered' but in my mind it would be Gamelyn or Untouchable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok cool, def haven't played enough to see several others who are just as strong. Had Untouchable in first game we played, forgot how handy that was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Untouchable has come up in both games I've played so far and both were a runaway victory for the person who got this pilot. Not a lot of data, but I may put that one aside for a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see this. If you get a bunch of Launch ships to be able to move her back and forth she can be deadly. Really no way to prevent this but they also need to be taking planets too but she almost seems like a shoe in for 8 easy victory points....unless Gamelyn is hired. hehe. She can also be his balance as well too to a degree it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.