David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several events (R19 The Secret War, X21 Over the Fence) that allow buying eliminated Laotian and Cambodian units and deploying them in their home countries at the end of the turn.

May they be deployed in a province occupied by enemy units?
(Usually you cannot deploy reinforcing units in a province with enemy units, but maybe this is a special case).

Thanks!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentilhombre wrote:
There are several events (R19 The Secret War, X21 Over the Fence) that allow buying eliminated Laotian and Cambodian units and deploying them in their home countries at the end of the turn.

May they be deployed in a province occupied by enemy units?
(Usually you cannot deploy reinforcing units in a province with enemy units, but maybe this is a spacial case).

Thanks!

David
In cases like this, you should use the standard, default deployment rules. Had the cards wanted to allow you to do something different, they would have said so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I understand that you must use standard deployment rules unless specified on the card.
But in this case we found a "bug". I will explain it. First I will paste the text of the red card:

The secret war (5) [1969]
Event not playable if the Pathet Lao controls Laos.
NVA units may enter all LA provinces. Add 2 Doves if you kill all Allied LA units by year ’s end.
Blue may buy back dead LA units during his turn for 1 RP each if at least 1 LA unit survives on map.
Blue deploys them untried anywhere in Laos. Remove card from game.

Red Player may play this card and during his turn occupy ALL provinces in Laos. That way, the possibility of buying back dead Laotian Blue units is avoided! And he will be able to calmly and methodically attack and destroy all Laotian Blue units.
It is a very interesting move, because you obtain 2 Doves for the card and also cause the Laotian collapse (and Blue Player will have to pay 3 RP or lose another 3 Doves).

I think that the event is well designed: Red Player may attempt to "conquer" Laos, but the Blue Player may send help and make the Government survive against the Red agression.
But if there is a possible way of avoiding that Blue help, I think that the event would be a bit broken.

What do you think about this? Thanks!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your interest. It's fun to go back and talk about the game again.

There are 4 cards (2 blue, 2 red) that deal with invasions of Laos and Cambodia. I know the red ones are very similar, and I know about what you call a bug.

There are two ways the Red player can accomplish his goal in these countries. Usually he tries to destroy all the enemy units on one turn so they can't come back, but the second way is to occupy every province so the enemy has no place to put the returning units. The reason most players don't choose method #2 is it is time-consuming and expensive. The Red player has to devote a lot of units to the country to fill every province, often spending extra RPs to get it all done and to attack too. In the mean time, Red is doing nothing in Viet Nam, and Blue can usually do whatever he wants there.

So yes, Red can occupy every province to accomplish the card's goals, but I always thought it was so much work that okay, go ahead. I don't care.

By the way, those four cards? If I were to do it again, I would consider taking them out of the decks and making them Campaign cards to be available from 1969 to some later date. It wouldn't be a big improvement, but they seem naturals as Campaign cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stan,

Sorry for being a pain. But reading -again- the Player Aid, "Where to deploy" section, I have seen this:

Blue CA, LA -> Any interior provinces in their home countries without enemy units if possible

The key words here are "if possible".

I understood perfectly your interpretation of the rules, explained above: Blue Laotian units may not be deployed in an enemy occupied province unless the event specifically allows it. But I think that the general deployment rules -in the Player Aid- allows it (because it says "if possible").

If I had to deploy a Blue Laotian unit and all the Laotian provinces where occupied by Red units, reading literally the Aid card I would be able to deploy it anyway, because the text says "if possible".

I think that I am right, but I will wait for your kind answer.
If you keep your restrictive interpretation of the rule, I think that the Player Aid should be corrected. But personally I prefer a less restrictive rule, maintaining the spirit of the Aid Card.

Thanks!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. I don't mind the questions.

It's been long enough that I had to go back and read the rule book. It says this about CA and LA reinforcements/replacements: "Any interior provinces in their home countries without enemy units if possible."

Specifically, it's trying to say this: "Any interior provinces in their home countries (without enemy units if possible)." So you may put units in enemy-occupied provinces, but only if you have no choice. That is, first priority is enemy-free provinces.

I should have been clearer in my earlier answers. In fact, I should have read the rules more closely before I opened my mouth! Sorry for any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stan,

As always, thanks for being there to answer to our questions!

Glad to know that my last interpretation of the rules/aid card was right. Your last message is also totally clear and answers to the question that started this thread.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls