Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If I roll a 12 against a level 6 boss, do I inflict 2 points of damage or 1?

2) I know weird monsters count as bosses with regards to levelling up, but can a weird monster be the final boss?

3) can any character use a scroll, or only wizards and clerics?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the questions;

1) If I roll a 12 against a level 6 boss, do I inflict 2 points of damage or 1?

2 points

2) I know weird monsters count as bosses with regards to levelling up, but can a weird monster be the final boss?

You only meet a final boss by rolling on the boss table (rolling 11 on the room contents table) or if it is the final room - in this case you roll on the boss table

3) can any character use a scroll, or only wizards and clerics?

Scrolls would be limited to wizards. Maybe clerics are limited to the bless spell only (not sure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) ok thanks. I like the ability to inflict a critical hit on a boss. The rules only mention killing multiple minions with a high roll, which is why I found it ambiguous.

2) makes sense, thanks.

3) Ok, that agrees with my hunch. I was confused because the rules say that scrolls "may be assigned" to any character except a barbarian. I was unsure whether "assigned" meant carry or use - carry makes more sense as far as the definition of "assigned" goes, but it seems weird that the rules would delineate who can carry scrolls but not who can use them.

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Brattstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I asked the designer and his respone were:

All characters can use scrolls except barbarians. Scrolls are read and not memorized hence all charecters can use them as a cast, except barbarians who is affraid of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is now clarified in the updated version of the rules (v4) on pages 49-50;

Any character, except Barbarians (who cannot read and fear magic), may read the scroll at the cost of one action and cast the spell. However, characters who are NOT spellcasters cast spells from a scroll as if they were level 1, no matter what their actual level is. Spell-casters add their full level to the spell cast from the scroll, even if the spell is not one of those they have in their repertoire. Clerics add their level only when they cast the Blessing spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Lunsford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VictorJ wrote:
This is now clarified in the updated version of the rules (v4) on pages 49-50;

I'm glad to hear that there is a new version of the rules! Where could one find them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaddiel wrote:
I'm glad to hear that there is a new version of the rules! Where could one find them?

Wherever you bought the game from (Wargame Vault or Ganesha), there should automatically be an update to download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Lunsford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VictorJ wrote:
Gaddiel wrote:

Wherever you bought the game from (Wargame Vault or Ganesha), there should automatically be an update to download.

Yeah, I downloaded 4AD from BGG originally as a PnP, which is apparently a quite old version of the rules. Time to make a purchase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.