Subject: Discarding a RECON card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Walis
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When a player discards a Recon card, can he draw two command cards and discard one of them? This seems like an unlikely play, but it did occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. After using a Recon (single section) card. When discarded the player takes two and chooses one. Thematic... recon gives you information, yes?

-m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am understanding the original question...I think what he means is that the player discarded a Recon card because he/she had no units in a section to make use of the card.

If that is the case then I would say no, the player does not get to pick between two command cards because the Recon card wasn't actually used. But that is just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
substandardtim wrote:
If I am understanding the original question...I think what he means is that the player discarded a Recon card because he/she had no units in a section to make use of the card.

If that is the case then I would say no, the player does not get to pick between two command cards because the Recon card wasn't actually used. But that is just my opinion.

The only thing pertinent to drawing 2 cards and choosing between them at the end of your turn is that is simply what the card allows you to do. If you play a RECON-1 card for a section in which you have no units the same rule applies. At the end of your turn regardless of whether units battled, moved or were even ordered, you still draw two cards and take your choice of card and discard the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mzungu wrote:
substandardtim wrote:

The only thing pertinent to drawing 2 cards and choosing between them at the end of your turn is that is simply what the card allows you to do. If you play a RECON-1 card for a section in which you have no units the same rule applies. At the end of your turn regardless of whether units battled, moved or were even ordered, you still draw two cards and take your choice of card and discard the other.

This. Order 1 unit means order up to 1 unit. Ordering 0 is also fine. This means you can just order 0 units in a section and use the effect of choosing between two command cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jk_W wrote:

This. Order 1 unit means order up to 1 unit. Ordering 0 is also fine. This means you can just order 0 units in a section and use the effect of choosing between two command cards.

Yup. During your turn, one of your cards goes into the discard pile. It may or may not have resolvable unit orders. Then, at the end of your turn, you draw a new Command Card. The Recon card modifies that action.

Think of it like...you NEVER discard a card. You always PLAY a card. Its just that you will not always be able to resolve every action on the card you play.

Otherwise.....what would it mean if you played an "order 3" card on a zone where you only had 1 or 2 units? Clearly you CAN resolve SOME of the parts of a card without necessarily reaolving it all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, the Memoir rules do not specifically address a situation where "ordering" a unit includes the option to ignore the selected card's action and instead command the unit to "Hang tight" (i.e., "do nothing"). Or the rules covered it and I overlooked it.

In either case, it requires having a card to be able to issue an order, and the order may be to "do what the card says" or "do nothing."

The rules also used the phrase "an ordered unit" which always slightly confused me.

I had a hard time wrapping my mind around that phrase, because in my (non-military) mind I considered an ordered unit to be "a unit in good order," or perhaps "in proper formation." With that in mind, reading the instructions was more difficult because I was translating the phrase's meaning in a way that made it harder to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
IIRC, the Memoir rules do not specifically address a situation where "ordering" a unit includes the option to ignore the selected card's action and instead command the unit to "Hang tight" (i.e., "do nothing"). Or the rules covered it and I overlooked it.

In either case, it requires having a card to be able to issue an order, and the order may be to "do what the card says" or "do nothing."

The rules also used the phrase "an ordered unit" which always slightly confused me.

I had a hard time wrapping my mind around that phrase, because in my (non-military) mind I considered an ordered unit to be "a unit in good order," or perhaps "in proper formation." With that in mind, reading the instructions was more difficult because I was translating the phrase's meaning in a way that made it harder to understand.

Some choice quotes from the rules:
Memoir '44 Rules wrote:
Command Cards
Army units may only move and/or battle when given an order. Command cards are used to order your troops to move, battle and/or execute a special command.

Section cards
Section cards are used to order a move and/or battle in a specific section. These cards indicate in which section(s) of the battlefield you may order units and how many units you may order.

2 - Order Units
After playing a command card, announce which corresponding unit(s) you choose to order. Only those units that are issued an order may move, battle, or take a special action, later in the turn. [...] If the Command card allows you to issue more orders in a given section of
the battlefield than you have units in that section, those additional orders are lost.

4 - Battle
[...] A unit that is ordered does not have to battle.

There is a lot of permissive language there (may). Additionally, issuing an order to a unit allows it to perform its actions. Generally, those are move 0-n hexes and optionally attack if eligible. An order can be given to a unit. You can choose for it to move 0 hexes and not battle, thus "hanging tight." Additionally, we can see that you can issue orders to a section that has fewer units than the card specified. Those orders are simply lost. So you can also play a card that specifies a section with 0 units, and all the orders it provides are lost. Only the orders are lost, the other card effects still take place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
substandardtim wrote:

This is incorrect. You get to pick up two cards and discard one by playing the Recon card, regardless of whether you actually order a unit with it. Cards tell you a maximum, not a minimum, number of units that may be ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something extra: if you play the recon 1 as something else, you don't get to choose one card out of two cards.

Examples:
Action 3: Air Strikes and Blitz
Action 15: Blitz Rules
Action 35: Off-map Artillery Support

When you use your recon as an air power or a barrage with any of those rules, it's as if you played an air power or a barrage and those cards don't have the text that allows you to choose one card out of 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.