Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

IKI» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Card distribution and the potential effect of the bonus Kickstarter cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about the card distribution and effect the "Kickstarter stretch goal" cards have on it, so I tallied the cards.

(red) Master Craftsman
(brown) Artisan
(green) Shop Seller
(yellow) Street Peddler
(purple) Special

red brown green yellow purple
Spring 2 4 1 3 3
Summer 2 3 2 3 3
Autumn 2 3 2 3 3
Winter 3 4 1 3 2

So, each season has 13 cards available. The Kickstarter cards add two extra cards to each season.

Spring 0 0 1 0 1
Summer 0 0 0 1 1
Autumn 0 1 0 0 1
Winter 0 0 0 1 1

What do we know when using just the base deck of cards?

Green is by far the most rare type (6) followed by red (9). The others are fairly common. The Kickstarter cards only magnify this difference.

The most common cards are yellow and purple. The Kickstarter cards add four(!) additional purple and two yellow, which makes the purple and yellow flood more severe.

I find that the powerful red cards are able to be selected the least often, due to the high cost. So, in practice, their rarity is lower than the numbers suggest. The Kickstarter cards add none(!), making it even more difficult to collect this type.

It appears that the Kickstarter cards makes the availability of the most sought after types (green and red) increasingly random. This leads to more luck involved in the set collection.

I will be leaving them out of my future games for the time being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I was curious about the card distribution and effect the "Kickstarter stretch goal" cards have on it, so I tallied the cards.

(red) Master Craftsman
(brown) Artisan
(green) Shop Seller
(yellow) Street Peddler
(purple) Special

Spring 2 4 1 3 3
Summer 2 3 2 3 3
Autumn 2 3 2 3 3
Winter 3 4 1 3 2

So, each season has 13 cards available. The Kickstarter cards add two extra cards to each season.

Spring 0 0 1 0 1
Summer 0 0 0 1 1
Autumn 0 1 0 0 1
Winter 0 0 0 1 1

The first thing I noticed is that the rulebook lists the incorrect number of cards. It says 56. There are only 52 without the Kickstarter cards and 60 with. So, it is wrong either way you look at it.

I have three words for you concerning this supposed error: Starting occupation cards.

dcorban wrote:
I will be leaving them out of my future games for the time being.

How about mixing them in, then discarding two from each season based on the Kickstarter cards' colors? And besides, their own rules say you can use however many of the Kickstarter cards you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever there are promotional extras like these cards that come out right at the same time the game was released, I always assume they were part of the original game, and cut out to provide a promo, so getting them offers the complete game. However, if one doesn't have this view, then see the extras as something "for the future," play a dozen times with the game as shipped, then add these in, or replace some original cards with these as suggested above, if one is concerned about the distribution of colors.

I for one, like having the extra cards, just it offers the potential to make each game different and discourages one for just always going for a favored combo of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of cards are not acquired in any given game session, so I feel there is enough variance without introducing more chance into the set collection. Personally, I enjoy the tension of choosing the occupation you really want versus the one that will complete your set.

Note that the Special cards, both in theory and, in my experience, decrease in desirability as the game continues. They require retirement to take effect, and provide a constant benefit, which means they lose value as the game proceeds. This may be why there is one fewer purple in winter.

IMHO, from my plays of the game so far, the last thing we need is four more purple cards on display!

In regard to the Kickstarter cards "being cut" from the original game, I believe the rules implicitly negate this idea with the lassez-faire attitude regarding their use. In fact, why even mention that they are Kickstarter bonus cards if they were once in the main game? I would have never known if it hadn't been mentioned in the rulebook. It is also notable that the rules specifically suggest leaving them out in your first game.

I am not totally against the cards. In fact, I am happy they are there and will likely add them back in at some point. For now, as I am evangelizing this awesome game and playing it with a variety of players, I will keep the consistency of the original cards intact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deena Pilgrim
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Daniel for taking the time of writing this complete post. I had made the same analysis after a few plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deena Pilgrim
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenskana wrote:
Whenever there are promotional extras like these cards that come out right at the same time the game was released, I always assume they were part of the original game, and cut out to provide a promo, so getting them offers the complete game.

In my experience after many Kickstarters, I have never met this case. Exclusive components are often unbalanced, and may be used for fun or experimentation, but not for a good, balanced experience. Especially with Euro games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.