Subject: Do you get sad seeing a favorite game on sale somewhere? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, a) "sad" is an exaggeration.
and b) I don't mean sad that you bought it at X but now it's X-30, but, rather, sad that you here's a game you love and it's on sale, probably because it hasn't been selling too well and they're getting rid of inventory.

Talking specifics: The Golden Ages. I find this game perfectly charming. It's a light Euro civ game with some reasonably clever mechanisms that doesn't overstay its welcome. To go from the Bronze Age to the Internet in 90 minutes is pretty darn cool. The bits are understated elegant. You get to buy cards and technologies and create a tableau, even some mini engines. (I love tableaus.) Some people dislike the Alexandre Roche art, I, on the contrary, find the art lovely. Tonight we added the Cults and Culture expansion and that made a great game even better (albeit not quite as streamlined).

Yet it's on sale. People aren't buying it. They hate this sweet little baby. Bad people, bad!

So, anyone have similar reactions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I get super excited and want to buy extra copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birdie
msg tools
I know what you mean, but...
I was looking for 'Fields of Arle' for the longest time, had a lot of trouble getting it in this city/province...but then my local store had a copy that someone brought it, they couldn't handle it and I not only was I able to get it (the owner called me knowing I had been looking for it), but I got it at a nice discount!
I'm very happy with it, play it often.

So, look on the brightside
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheap games =
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Cheap games = :D

When you already own a copy? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it would give more people the opportunity to try a game I love so it's a good thing?

As long as it doesn't mean it sold so poorly that it won't get new expansions? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I want to play boardgame with my friends everyday, but realised it's just an unrealistic dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
My situation is kinda different.

I love a game, was on my wishlist since released. Friend bought it so I kinda didn't need to get my own copy (since it's pointless for a 2nd copy in the same group & I don't play this game with other people), but I've been thinking about it all the time. One day I saw it at 40% off, immediately grabbed it and followed by its expansion at full price. I was happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that with the price The Castles of Burgundy sells for, why doesn't everyone own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:
Cheap games =

When you already own a copy? Why?

Cards wear out, gifts for friends, separate copy for home and game group, different base games for each expansion arc, copies for school, add extra players to player count, run 2 games at once when there is too many players, run tournaments with multiple games at once and copies to donate to game groups. If you like the bits, they can be used for jewelry or decoration, art can be mounted or framed.

I own multiple copies of all of my top rated games if I was able to get them cheap or in trade. What does make me sad is how much it would cost me to get another Prêt-à-Porter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am like skutch, I feel a bit mournful when a game (or something I respect) is on sale. I feel like it means it is underappreciated, and unlikely to get reprinted or receive the recognition it deserves. I can't think of a specific example, but I know the feeling.

Conversely if I've heard a game is good and see it on sale, I see it as a wonderful opportunity laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm simply happy to see that a given game is still for sale, regardless of the price.

Cannot fathom this idea of seeing an item being sold cheap as a source of unhappiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, uh.

Where is this sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:
So, uh.

Where is this sale?

Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been sort of sad seeing multiple copies of SeaFall camped on the shelves with a steadily falling price. 3 copies still available at the local bookstore at $30 per. Even so, couldn't convince myself to give up a spot on my shelf for it. Still makes me feel a little wistful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I used to frequent used CD stores it would break my heart to see multiple copies of albums I adore in there. How could anyone buy King by Belly and not love it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get sad when a game I bought months ago and still haven't played is discounted because I feel I could have waited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I own a game rarely do I check the price of it anymore. There's little chance I would find out if a sale were taking place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the OP's sentiment, but no, I don't feel that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I get more sad to see my favorite games falling on the BGG top list. The more games I buy, the less of the top 100 games do I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously these people have no taste or alternatively I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good question. I think I get a little sad, probably because not enough people seem to like it as me.

It is a little bit rational, if the game has sold poorly, expansions are less likely to be released. My favorite game is Tragedy Looper and expansions are a good thing for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
Taxsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt I had paid a little too much for Imperial 2030. It had been out of print for a long time, so when I saw a copy on Amaxon, I jumped at the chance. Then I saw copies in stock at MM and realized it had come back into print and could have had it cheaper. I think I overpaid from 5 to 10 bucks. I wasn't sad, just a little upset with myself for being impulsive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me feel bad that a good game isn't getting much love. And to add salt to that wound, I'm reminded that I could have gotten a better price if I had waited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
sixstrings4one wrote:
I feel that with the price The Castles of Burgundy sells for, why doesn't everyone own it.

It's uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly. I'll get it someday because I'm sure I'll enjoy the gameplay but there are literally dozens of other games I know I'll enjoy that my group will also be more inclined to play because "eye candy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
b) I don't mean sad that you bought it at X but now it's X-30,

That certainly is more common for me, although "upset" is a more appropriate word than "sad", especially when the game appears on one of CSI's sales, a week or so after I bought it. And that has happened quite a few times.

Being a bit sad for the reasons you specified is rarer, but I still feel so for The Swarm. I find it as good as the best games from Kramer & Kiesling, but it has never got much attention, and the English edition was heavily discounted shortly after release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.