Napoleon's Quagmire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Use of the cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo Gentili
Italy
San Vincenzo (LI)
flag msg tools
Hi! It is the first time, for me, with this system and I have some doubts. First, the correct use of the cards: the mode cards are used only in the first turn, at the setting of the game, then are returned in the bundle; the tactics cards can be used for the movement in the card section or in the combat phase (even the enemy one), and each time I use one of them I can take one more cards from the bundle (or from a separate bundle made only of tactics cards?); from the third turn on, I must take one card from the bundle and I MUST play one card (for effect or for movement). Am I right? Then, initiative checking with stacks: only one check for the worse initiative rating in the stack or separate checks? Thanks for now. Best, Paolo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hi! It is the first time, for me, with this system and I have some doubts.

Paolo, I personally think its better to play a couple 'Day of Battle' scenarios without the cards first. That way, you can concentrate on learning the game rules first.

Quote:
the mode cards are used only in the first turn

Yes (24.31)

Quote:
then are returned in the bundle

No. Put them away as they are no longer used.

Quote:
the tactics cards can be used for the movement in the card section or in the combat phase (even the enemy one),

Yes. But then it can NOT be used for 'tactics' later in the turn.(24.81)

Quote:
and each time I use one of them I can take one more cards from the bundle (or from a separate bundle made only of tactics cards?);

No. You only take new cards in the Card Phase. So if you use any Tactic cards, you wait until your own Card Phase to replace it and any other card used. So if you were meant to have 3 cards and you used one for the Card Phase and then one in the enemy Combat Phase. You would take 2 new cards in your card phase.(24.33)

Tactic cards are kept with all the other NON-Mode cards in one draw bundle.(24.22). Also, don't forget to remove specific cards before the game as per the card sheet for each battle (Cards to be Removed). And when a card is played, it is kept seperate from the bundle and not put back into it.(24.23)

Quote:
from the third turn on, I must take one card from the bundle and I MUST play one card (for effect or for movement). Am I right?

From the second turn, you play a card in the Card Phase (24.32)

From the third turn, you refill your card hand by drawing from the bundle and playing a card.(24.33)

A card played in the Card Phase sets out your Movement Points and also, if not a Tactic Card, then the effect is ALSO used if it can be actioned. The victory points (plus or minus) are only applied if the effect had to be used.

As I say, I think you are better playing your first games WITHOUT the cards.

Quote:
Then, initiative checking with stacks: only one check for the worse initiative rating in the stack or separate checks?

No. (6.34) You use the BEST initiative of a unit in a stack but ONLY IF they are all from the same Division (not formation, but Division - the number down the left side of the counter) and only if you want to use the one initiative roll. You may choose to dice for them all individually. This is only done for Out of Command units whose Officer did not try to put himself In Command (6.32)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Gentili
Italy
San Vincenzo (LI)
flag msg tools
Hi Redcap. Thanks for the answer. I already played DoB without cards. I still have some doubt: when You say "...if you were meant to have 3 cards..." do You mean that I must have a determined number of cards or that, at a specific moment during the play, I can have even 3 (or more) cards in my hands? That is, the exact number of cards in my hands is determined by the rules (or scenarios) or, randomly, by the events of the game? Best, Paolo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo,

Each scenario tells you how many cards each side should have. So for example, Medellin Day of Battle scenario is French 2, Spanish 2. (27.13 in Study Folder)

So in this case, during the French Card Phase, the French player lays his card for the turn (leaving him 1 card.... Lets pretend its a Tactic Card). Then during the Spanish player turn, the French player lays this Tactic card and this now leaves him with NO cards.

When it comes to his next Card Phase, the French player will replenish his hand of cards back to its maximum (2 cards as per scenario maximum at 27.13) and he will play one of those cards immediately.

I am in Pisa on 30th July. I shall drive down and see you!

Vincent (Enzo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Gentili
Italy
San Vincenzo (LI)
flag msg tools
Thanks Vincent,
sorry but at that date I will be in Jordan, for my holidays. I hope You will have a good time in Pisa but, at 30 of July, the city will be like an oven! If You come here another time, tell me. Best, Paolo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.