Johan Sørensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love many of the aspects of TI3 - dice combat, tech tree, (very) variable player powers, exploration (distant suns) and the feel of politics and diplomacy.

I still play the game every once in a while. Played from 18 pm to 4 am just the other night, and while I enjoyed the game, I also felt the game outstayed its welcome the last two hours.

I know this is a much discussed topic, but most previous threads deal with epic space operas and/or much shorter games with the same feel. What I'm looking for is a game that has the features mentioned in the beginning of this post while still being shorter than TI3 - for example 6 hours instead of 8-10.

Also, it doesn't have to be a space game, but the tech development is important. This could just be spells, improved weapons or the likes instead of exotic alien technology .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Araya
msg tools
Eclipse comes quickly up to my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget Eclipse, the game you're looking for is Omega Centauri. It doesn't have dice combat (it seems it's a plus for you, but trust me, the alternative is better!) , but it is super epic (plays ~4 hours for 4 players) and super good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will get the standard set of recommendations that usually include at least:
Eclipse
Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Galactic Emperor
Empires of the Void
Galactic Emperor

and possibly:
Space Empires: 4X
Firefly: The Game
Xia: Legends of a Drift System
Core Worlds
Omega Centauri
Core Worlds

There is no right answer though, and you'll just have to do the legwork of watching and reading reviews and trying to figure out which you'd like the most. My personal pick is Eclipse, but your mileage may wary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse is a cube-pushing economic game in space which doesn't feel as epic in TI3 in the slightest. (IMHO of course.)

Exodus: Proxima Centauri is usually mentioned in threads with the same question.

You can bring the playtime of TI3 down a lot by using the Age of Empires variant, btw. We always play that way. All objectives are known from the start and you have a set amount of turns to achieve them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sørensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:

Thanks for this. Actually I've already been acquainted with most of these games through reviews, and of these only Exodus and Empires of the Void really seemed to come close to what I am looking for, although EotV is a much shorter game and therefore must lack some of the epicness of TI3. It's currently on my shelf waiting to see its first play.

I was actually trying to avoid getting these typical lists with much shorter games and an almost one-sided representation of space-themed games. Perhaps I should have been more clear on that - maybe this is due to a lack of what I'm searching for among the fantasy-themed games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sørensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furthermore, I'm interested in knowing if Forbidden Stars could fill this position?

Some seem to think it's almost pure combat and therefore a bit long for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seems that so far the recommendations are based mostly on the theme of TI3 whereas I believe the OP doesn't care about it if the game is not "epic" enough.

So I would say, forget about Eclipse and the likes. These may be good games on their own, but not even close to the scale of TI3.

The first title that comes to my mind is Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game although maybe this still is not epic enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See if you can find a copy of Here I Stand to play, and see if it does Epic in a way you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Play TI3 more often.

The more you play it the more the playtime shortens. 1 hour per player is pretty easy to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staying with the space theme .... if other themes are fair play, this could be quite a list!

Shorter but equally epic ... would likely require getting away from the TI3 clones and riffs. If they are shorter but in the same model, they won't be as deep (looking at you, Eclipse(it's agreat game, but relatively shallow).

Tiny Epic Galaxies, Race for the Galaxy, Roll for the Galaxy ... should all be much shorter, maybe not as epic tho.

Played Rebellion? Certainly shorter. It may strike you as epic, if you're SW fans. Not sure about the replayability tho ... I'v only played twice and it seems to take playing against a new person(s) to keep it fresh ... also, there is an expansion due this year. Not so much tech development tho.

Leaving Earth? Haven't played it yet but I sure hope it grants a truly epic feel. It's spinning off expansions rapidly.

Hey for even more epic, but longer experience, look up Freedom in the Galaxy and High Frontier Freedom is hoky space opera, simultaneously on a squad level and a galactic level. It takes forever (the 120min play time is for a small scenario). Tech acquisition rather than development, focuses more on political development and suppression I haven't played High Frontier yet.... supposedly it's shorter than TI1, but looking at it ... I think that's a fib.

Ultimately I say double down on TI3. Add in the expansions (if you can find 'em ... hopefully they really will be reprinted ...). Go whole hog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
See if you can find a copy of Here I Stand to play, and see if it does Epic in a way you like.

Ho ho -- and finding a copy is a whole lot easier than I thought. New Reprint coming out. Order now, get the low reduced price!
https://www.gmtgames.com/p-508-here-i-stand-500th-anniversar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:

Leaving Earth? Haven't played it yet but I sure hope it grants a truly epic feel. It's spinning off expansions rapidly.

It sure is epic to shoot a rocket into space, but there's a lot of math in it to dampen that epicness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
The more you play it the more the playtime shortens. 1 hour per player is pretty easy to achieve.
True. However, given that the game gets better the more players there are, it'll still take plenty of hours and is thus way too long for my taste.

I have always trouble with the definition of 'Epic'. Can a short game actually be epic? I have my doubts.

Mage Knight Board Game feels epic to me, but it's also a long game.

Perhaps Cthulhu Wars would qualify?
The spellbooks could be seen as a kind of tech-tree, but it's all about area-control. But it feels kinda epic despite being short because of
a) 'epic' minis
b) eventually getting to roll buckets of dice in combat
c) the theme of world domination
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ok.

In this case +1 for Exodus Proxima Centauri with the expansion Exodus: Edge of Extinction

Another game that gives a similar feeling: Forbidden Stars

The big positive about this one is that it doesn't encourage turteling. You have to get to your neighbours to reach your objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
lacreighton wrote:
lacreighton wrote:

Ho ho -- and finding a copy is a whole lot easier than I thought. New Reprint coming out. Order now, get the low reduced price!
https://www.gmtgames.com/p-508-here-i-stand-500th-anniversar...

Yes, but is HiS shorter than TI3?

Hmmm. I read 'wants epic game that takes 6 hours not 8' and thought HiS, HiS HiS!!

But if Ti3 takes their group 8 hours, maybe HiS will as well? Sure worth finding out, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.