Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star» Forums » Rules

Subject: Event timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Avery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading the online rulebook to kill time while awaiting delivery news. I have a question about event timing.

The rulebook states that if an event takes a number of rounds then it is placed to the right of the first player, so that it can be updated at the start of each round. Imagine a 3 round event, such as the example given in the rulebook. Last player triggers event, damage marker placed on card, just as in the example, because new round is no beginning.

Does that nean that only the last player was affected by round one of the event, or do the effects of the event not start until we begin the new round? If we do not wait for the new round then the first player will always miss round 1 of each event unless they drew it. If we wait for the new round then the part of the rules which states "apply any effects" when the card is drawn seems wrong.

Please could somebody clarify when the event effects begin? Next round (before first player) or immediately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Event comes into play and "Any effects are applied" during the STATUS Phase of the turn they are drawn. But the Timer tick after the last player takes their turn and before the first player starts theirs.

"Any effect are applied" refers to getting figures out on the board, for example, like Cinderbeard.

Example. 3 Player Game. Player A is first player, followed by B then C.

Player B triggers the drawing of a new event by getting to 4 FP. During his Status Phase, the event is drawn and any effects applied. Card is then place between player C and A. Player C's turn will have the event up and running for their turn. After Player C's turn, a Damage marker (a time tick) is placed on the card because it's the "End of the Round." Player A then begins his turn.

So, Player C will have 3 full turns of the Event while players A and B will only have 2 round of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Woodward
United States
New York
flag msg tools
while I agree with Dan's interpretation of the rule, it does feel unfair to player one more often than not. I could see a call for change (house rule) where the card would sit to the side of the play, and "round counters" be applied as they're passed. That would allow each player the same number of rounds on a given event status. Otherwise some events would tilt the game a bit (power failure in particular).

This is why many games add a marker per turn and expire after markers reach 2x or 3x the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm that Dan's response is correct.

I can also say that we tried in playtesting with events starting/stopping after the player that triggered them, but it quickly got overwhelming. Having a single time (end of round) where all events "tick" or do their thing was much better.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, this is a good catch-up mechanic for any player who is behind, because generally the events are more good than bad (also intentionally designed that way). Whoever triggered the event is clearly winning, so everyone else gets a chance to benefit from it first. With something like Fesko Grand Prix, some players may have 2 separate attempts at the race (but still only take their best score in a single turn).

Overall, having playtested various options, I'm confident in saying that the implementation we used is solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Also, and perhaps most importantly, this is a good catch-up mechanic for any player who is behind, because generally the events are more good than bad (also intentionally designed that way). Whoever triggered the event is clearly winning, so everyone else gets a chance to benefit from it first. With something like Fesko Grand Prix, some players may have 2 separate attempts at the race (but still only take their best score in a single turn).

The main problem I have with this is that anyone that is "counter clockwise" to the player who triggered it also gets one less round to do something. For the Fesko Grand Prix, for instance, the current player AND all other players who have already gone get one less round; any players yet to go this round get an extra turn. That timing doesn't even discriminate by who is in the lead or not (other than perhaps the active player himself) but more on seating order.

Player 1 will ALWAYS have one less round in which to do the Grand Prix, for instance. If the last player triggers it, they'll all be on the same page, but then it's one less round for everyone. Player 1 can never get the "full time".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on playtest feedback, it's really fine as written. Also, there is still a first player advantage even with the expansion, so this is another subtle way of balancing it a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
All that said - feel free to house rule it if you prefer, or just try it that way for a game and test it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Avery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that separate event timers would be silly, but how about the event starting before the first player's turn when we reach the card? That way all players get an equal duration?

Otherwise, last player is the king of event benefits every time, regardless of who triggered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
But the last player goes last, and in a game that's a race to X points, it's usually quite bad to go last.

Also, some of the events are bad, so it's not always a good thing to be more exposed to the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.