Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ratings_episode_999,999 [+] [View All]
baboon baboonov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion this game is a bit underrated; though it is definetaly a solid game.
Haven't seen many positive reviews for this game.surprise

I think it is mostly because people expected it to be "Village- the dice game"; and they were disappointed because it wasn't like village.

A similar thing happened with Troys and Tournay (i preffer the later) soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time that I played the game, I enjoyed it less than future plays. Part of that was (as you say) expectation. Part of it was that the game simply took longer during the first play than in subsequent plays when I had a better understanding of how the game works.

That said, I don't think the rating or ranking is much lower than it should be... Instead, I just feel like My Village has fewer "champions" who are vocal in the forums about how much they enjoy the game. Instead you seem to find a lot of Village fans talking about how they prefer that game to My Village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My issue with My Village is that it's pretty much the same game, but all the components are on cards, which are a nightmare to sort and set up for each game. There's no "streamlining" (like you'd normally see in a dice game based on a popular game), and the only thing different is you draft dice instead of pick up cubes for your actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baboon baboonov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
My issue with My Village is that it's pretty much the same game, but all the components are on cards, which are a nightmare to sort and set up for each game. There's no "streamlining" (like you'd normally see in a dice game based on a popular game), and the only thing different is you draft dice instead of pick up cubes for your actions.

You just said that it's the same game except they changed almost everything

Maybe you meant that the theme was the same?

In any case - you were expecting "village the dice game", but got "my village".
Their weight is quite similar; dice games arent necessarily more streamlined or easier - see Steffan Feld's games as a case point.

In my opinion, if the game was under a different theme it could've been in the top 500 on BGG. But it is plagued with comparison to its older sibling.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baboon baboonov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneiric wrote:
Instead, I just feel like My Village has fewer "champions" who are vocal in the forums about how much they enjoy the game. Instead you seem to find a lot of Village fans talking about how they prefer that game to My Village.

Maybe the fact that Village won kennerspiel des jahres helped create this situation. Ah well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
My Village is a different as well as a better game that lives in the shadow of a more well know older brother. That said, they are similar enough, the table presence of all them there cards is perhaps daunting at first and for those who know the old boy there is a simple preference for the familiar. Still, My Village is a more interesting game with more strategic choices and interplay. If you have not played My Village give it a honest try (of at least two games), you will find it rather interesting, dynamic and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
..., which are a nightmare to sort and set up for each game. ... the only thing different is you draft dice instead of pick up cubes for your actions.

I disagree with both assessments here.

(Although the first time you play, when people don't understand the game, setting up cards is a bit of a drag. It's not difficult or more time consuming that setting up any other game - maybe the issue is a faulty expectation that dice games shouldn't involve setup?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think people should take each game on its own merits as once you go in with a preconception its hard to change opinion.
I love both Village titles but the original had one slight problem, and that was the travel which forced your moves as once one person went travelling we all had to, because there were so many points on offer, which thankfully changed with the ports expansion.
MV seems to take V and zoom in to make the theme and gameplay more detailed with more ways to score in a more point salad way. MV is a totally different beast.
Think of Nations and its dice game cousin, both themed the same, but different games.
I do wonder though why such good games seem to fail to have a good following, yet other games that quite frankly are boring and lacking seem to get fantastic responses. Perhaps its the publicity and hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.