Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Dojo Kun» Forums » Variants

Subject: Few modifications changing balance. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi,
I really enjoy this game (mostly for the THEME but emotions it brings, graphic design and chucking a bucket of CUSTOM DICE are great as well).

That being said I have few issues with it:
1. In all my games there was no need to have more than 2 fighters to win the game. That's my biggest problem with the game :/ (more about it here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1453472/strategy-using-many...
2. I wanted fights with at least some decisions and without long draws
3. Predicting fights results could be more interesting (not a big deal but still)

So I designed a few changes too address those issues. No 2 and 3 were fairly easy to design, but no 1 was quite a beast to beat. I'm not 100% sure I will not change smth here in the future but as for now they work good and doing their job.

So here are my home rules:

1. HAVING MORE FIGHTERS COULD BE A GOOD THING

1. FASTER RECRUITMENT.
You can send your Senpai fighter (no 1) to "expand your Dojo" action space. Still only 1 pawn per turn can go on that space.

2. STRONGER 2ND SEASON FIGHTERS .
Just add 1 level of your choice to your new athlete during 2nd season + all other normal bonuses according to current round.
They are usually quite weak and not very lucrative to buy so this helps a bit.

3. MORE LUCRATIVE ADVENTURES
a) adventures give twice as much VPs as stated on the cards. If you can accomplish an adventure few times (“:” icon) only the 1st reward is doubled.

b) different (more adventurous) approach to adventures:
- when going on adventure you roll dice to see if you fulfill its requirements instead of discarding Ki
- you roll max that many dice as there is Ki to pay for it. Or less if you have less dice
- you count how many Ki you rolled
- if the sum is enough to complete the adventure = you get the reward and discard its card as usual.
- if the sum of Ki is not enough = you pay rest of it in tokens from that athlete card and discard its card as usual.
- to put your pawn on adventure space - you need to be able to complete it (i.e. having those Ki tokens in case of a “Ki empty” roll

4. CHANGE YOUR DOJO ONCE IT’S FULL
You can buy new equipment and fighters if your Dojo is 4 spaces big and all 4 spaces are taken (by equip or fighters respectively). Just ditch the one element you are going to replace (pay now any negative costs in VPs this element would have on you at the end of the game. Any VP awards, Ki tokens, special technique tokens, etc. are lost).
- you can't replace an athlete that already performed an action in this turn.

2. HOME RULES FOR TOURNAMENTS

1. TO HAVE DECISIONS DURING FIGHTS.
Pay with your Ki/VP's to re-roll dice.

- Before the fight, each fighter may choose to discard 0-3 of their Ki tokens (or equivalent amount of VP's)
- Both players roll simultaneously as usual.
- Right after a roll without looking at their opponent's roll result, fighters choose if and which dice they want to reroll.
- They can reroll 1die(White Lotus)/2 dice(Black Lotus) for each Ki (or 2VPs) they discarded before the fight.
- They must reroll all their chosen dice at once, not one by one.
- Each dice can be rerolled only once.
- You don't have to reroll as much as you paid for. You may even not reroll at all, BUT all discarded Ki/VP's are lost anyway.
- Now they normally check who is the winner.

2. TO MAKE BETTING MORE EXCITING.
You put your reputation on stake as you make predictions.

Details:
- Each player gets 5VP at the start of the game so they can make predictions
- Each player may plays his prediction card as usual face down but he also plays VP tokens face up on his card to indicate how much of his reputation he is willing to risk to point out a winner (it makes sense right?).
- There are limits to how much you can bet: 1st/2nd/3rd round of 1st tournament allows for max of 0/1/2 VPs stakes. 1st/2nd/3rd round of 2nd tournament allows for max of 1/2/3 VPs stakes.
- You still can’t bet your own fights
- You lose all the reputation you had bet if you failed in prediction
- if you win you get back VP in rate 1:1 for good prediction
- with new gamers I like to play that 1st tournament you predict fights as in the rulebook (for free with max 1VP return) and 1/2/3 VPs stakes at season 2.

3. MAKING TOURNAMENTS PHASES SHORTER.
You play draws much faster by rolling single dice instead of all

Details:
- if there is a draw, each athlete gets a wound token
- after a draw instead of fighting again another round, each player at the same time picks 1 die from his dice and roll it.
- Whoever has more HIT icons on that roll – wins the fight!!!
- If there is a draw (no HIT icons or equal amount) than put that dice aside and choose another one from your fighter reaming pool. Roll again. Keep doing that until you have a winner or both players are out of dice
- If only 1 player has some dice left – he rolls them all. If he rolls at least one HIT icon – he wins!!!
- If both fighters has used all their dice and still no winner (very unusual) – either the one with more Ki tokens is the winner or they both take ALL their dice back and rolls one at a time again.
- fighters get max only 1 wound token per fight – no matter how many draws is there

3. EXTRA RULES FOR DIVERSITY

1. DIFFERENT SENPAI FIGHTERS
Shuffle all 16 white stage fighters. Each player draws 4 fighter cards and chooses one to be his senpai. Remaining cards (including original senpai) are shuffled into fighter’s deck as usual.
Caution: it might make the game little unbalanced at the start but adds some diversity at the same time.

2. YOU NEVER HAVE TO SEND YOUR FIGHTERS TO THE TOURNAMENT.
You may send just one or none of your fighters, if you think that skull dojo will do better with your opponents than you. But where’s the fun in that? I actually don’t use this rule, but will leave here since someone might like it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
to remember about the fact that Senpai can expand Dojo - I use this tile:

to remember about rerolls and betting stakes I use this tile:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Cremona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas. Indeed this game Needs an house rules for tournament: in the original rules is Just Rolling dice and look what happens. No interaction.

You wrote:

1. TO HAVE DECISIONS DURING FIGHTS.
Pay with your Ki/VP's to re-roll dice.

- Before the fight, each fighter may choose to discard 0-3 of their Ki tokens (or equivalent amount of VP's)
- Both players roll simultaneously as usual.
- Right after a roll without looking at their opponent's roll result, fighters choose if and which dice they want to reroll.
- They can reroll 1die(White Lotus)/2 dice(Black Lotus) for each Ki (or 2VPs) they discarded before the fight.
- They must reroll all their chosen dice at once, not one by one.
- Each dice can be rerolled only once.
- You don't have to reroll as much as you paid for. You may even not reroll at all, BUT all discarded Ki/VP's are lost anyway.
- Now they normally check who is the winner.

My question:

Why dont let fighters to reroll dice Just spending Chi? During the match, not Just planning at the beginning of It.

I know, the luck factor in This case is higher, bug u Can respond with a reroll if i reroll better. And this Can cause a better interaction between players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jocularis wrote:
Interesting ideas. Indeed this game Needs an house rules for tournament: in the original rules is Just Rolling dice and look what happens. No interaction.

My question:

Why dont let fighters to reroll dice Just spending Chi? During the match, not Just planning at the beginning of It.

I know, the luck factor in This case is higher, bug u Can respond with a reroll if i reroll better. And this Can cause a better interaction between players.

thanks,

I tried that as well - back and forth rerolling to simulate actual punches and blocks, BUT the game became waaaaaaayyyyyyy too long for my tastes. The fights were dragging when players tried to compare their rolls by just watching the dice (before actually put results on the fight board). Or even without comparing too much rerolling where dragging.

I like how fast it is now. Just 1 reroll without checking your opponent dice. It gives you small amount of control and decision during fight without adding much extra time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really feel this game needs some house-rules to keep me interested. I already use a few in my 1/2 player games. We draft starter fighters. We don't limit how many fighters you can enter in a tournament. I'm gonna drop the #2 void fighter entirely. Still, it's just so tight in terms of actions and lucky with the combat resolution that it feels unsatisfying.

I'm thinking of making the tournament rounds actual turns for the characters not sent to the tournament. So your sensei has a chance to open up a new spot or recruit a new fighter, and a potential third fighter can earn a couple more victory points. I'm also probably gonna steal that Ki = Re-roll idea, in its simple 'Spend X, Reroll X dice, just once' form. I'd love to have something in the village to 'lock' dice. Roll them, see one result you like, and keep it for the tournament. Much like Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes I agree that the game has its issues. But the theme is awesome and so well implemented that I just can't sell it

Interesting idea with extra turns during combat - I wonder if it will work. Although I don't mind tight prelude phase as much as you do. My biggest issue is winning strategy and that's my focus here to eliminate it. I guess all should try what works for them, I'm just throwing some ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.