Kevin Benson-White
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I know Youtube has thousands of 'how to play X' videos on board games but was just wondering on the legality of these things (primarily as I'm interested in creating one.

I'm guessing most didn't get permission to make these how to plays from the publisher, but is there any polite hoops I should jump through before considering this? I've noted several 'how tos' actually include a small review section at the end... is this a way of sidestepping any legal issues (since I'm aware that reviews are exempt from many copyright issues). Or am I just being paranoid?

I'm not expecting anything from it, just taking up a hobby

Kev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst you'll get from this is if you get a rule wrong, people will moan and random internet trolls might insult you (but then that can happen anywhere!). Pretty much any content including their game will please a publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
Taxsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are protected from copyright violations by what we call fair use in the United States, which is called fair dealing in the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing_in_United_Kingdom...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a lawyer, but:

I think the only way you could potentially get in any trouble is if you in some way make it seem like you are affiliated with the company, or use copyrighted material like video or photos that belong to someone else.

I can't imagine showing a game and explaining how it's played could be considered copyright infringement in any way.

And apart from Games Workshop, I can't imagine any company frowning upon you basically promoting their product for free, unless you bash the game, but then that's an opinion and protected in all kinds of ways, like you already said.

So just do it!

Eh… pun not intended…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Benson-White
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the awesome responses, people!

You've pretty much confirmed what I imagined but paranoia got the better of me!

Cheers
Kev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more bit of encouragement ... don't worry about the marketplace being crowded. There's always room for someone who does it better or in a different way. Being more thorough, more entertaining, tailoring explanations to underserved audiences or perspectives .... you'll find you're audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Benson-White
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
One more bit of encouragement ... don't worry about the marketplace being crowded. There's always room for someone who does it better or in a different way. Being more thorough, more entertaining, tailoring explanations to underserved audiences or perspectives .... you'll find you're audience.

Thank you! Everything is still in the rather formative stage at the moment but there's a rather big ambition to be the following.... A) Unique, B) Good quality, and C) Actually fun to watch.

Also... in a rather cynical way, mostly (at first) covering games that haven't all been that well covered. I've given myself a good few months to privately prototype how they'll be structured and even having the tiniest encouragement is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Snoppster wrote:
Thanks for the awesome responses, people!

You've pretty much confirmed what I imagined but paranoia got the better of me!

Cheers

Kev

I think of it as like trying to treat someone to fix a paintball gun or fix a car part or something, or even Twith/YT videos of video gameplay. I wouldn't worry about it in the slighest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
You are protected from copyright violations by what we call fair use in the United States, which is called fair dealing in the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing_in_United_Kingdom...

Agreed, as long as it's not commercial in nature you're fine.

The fair use provisions will avoid the issue of copyright infringement of posting the games artwork etc in the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snoppster wrote:
aesthetocyst wrote:

Thank you! Everything is still in the rather formative stage at the moment but there's a rather big ambition to be the following.... A) Unique, B) Good quality, and C) Actually fun to watch.

Also... in a rather cynical way, mostly (at first) covering games that haven't all been that well covered. I've given myself a good few months to privately prototype how they'll be structured and even having the tiniest encouragement is great

As a friendly suggestion, after you finish the video, get someone to watch it that doesn't know much about games and see if they know how to play it from watching your video.

Some "How to Play" video's make assumptions that the audience will understand certain concepts, which is fine for some experienced gamers, but often leads to confusion or questions from casual gamers.

(Assuming you are aiming the how to play at casual level gamers, if not I'd say do the same with someone from your target audience).

Looking forward to seeing your first video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Benson-White
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Snoppster wrote:
aesthetocyst wrote:

As a friendly suggestion, after you finish the video, get someone to watch it that doesn't know much about games and see if they know how to play it from watching your video.

Some "How to Play" video's make assumptions that the audience will understand certain concepts, which is fine for some experienced gamers, but often leads to confusion or questions from casual gamers.

(Assuming you are aiming the how to play at casual level gamers, if not I'd say do the same with someone from your target audience).

Looking forward to seeing your first video.

Yeah I'm planning to at least keep the alpha / beta version of the video private and show it to friends, both gamers and none gamers for feedback, I'm likely going to reshoot it after that. I have a lot of friends who love more advanced games but they find game manuals almost unapproachable. It's my lofty goal to cater for all. I'm going to provide jump links for people who want to skip anything too basic for them.

If I'm not happy with it then there's every chance it might not see the light of day. I've got some personal goals for how I want it to look. Hope I manage it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick them into the disc tray and gently push the disc tray in.
whistle

Also, Good Luck with your "How to Play" videos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Snoppster wrote:
I'm going to provide jump links for people who want to skip anything too basic for them.
As someone with a YouTube channel, I can say that I think this is the single most important thing you can do, even though it takes extra time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.