Subject: How best to fuse the games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fordham
United Kingdom
Warwick
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
I've ended up with a copy of The Long Night as well as the base game, but I'm not sure how best to use it as an expansion, rather than a replacement.

There are a bunch of characters, but does throwing them all together risk diluting the module content? Particularly I'm worried about making improvement tokens harder to pick up. Should I make sure specific characters are present then add a random set of extra cards to maintain proportions?

I've seen a guide for mixing together location decks but this seems to involve using very few cards from the original deck. It feels like a marginal change to be worth the extra set up time.

There are more scenarios which is great, though I suspect the newer ones are more tightly balanced. Either way adding these in feels straightforward.

There are crisis cards and crossroads cards, but it feels like there are plenty of these and the newer ones again feel stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think unfortunately this is the main issue many people have with both the games.

I, for an instance, got quite annoyed by the "lack of effort" in merging the 2 games rather than throw 2 on the market and say.. "do how you feel but beware it might become unbalanced".

In the end, since the setup is already fairly long in this game, i ended up using the initial item cards from The Long Night and mixing the cards of each respective location and then randomly getting 20. This will likely not represent the ratio of the locations and somehow unbalance the game but i'm trying to put in my mind this would result as more thematic as you're not really quite sure on what you're going to find in a place. And until now it seems worked fine.

What instead is not ok is the Crossroads deck. That is getting diluted with 50+ character cards which will likely never trigger.

I'm dreaming for an app that will allow you to select the characters that enter in play or are out of play and will automatically manage and optimize the deck... but that's probably only a dream. (Emerson.... pretty please...? blushblush)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used this guide as a basis for building the item decks. It works well enough to keep the balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had any problems just mixing everything together as suggested in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I haven't had any problems just mixing everything together as suggested in the rulebook.

Same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hsu
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much felt the same way - where trying to merge the game it really made me from being a huge fan to disliking Dead of Winter.

I guess maybe I'll just sell off the Long Night at this point and just keep the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duccio Torzuoli
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: is it a urge mistake to play with the full 40 cards-decks (DOW+TLN cards) per location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
cruccio wrote:
Question: is it a urge mistake to play with the full 40 cards-decks (DOW+TLN cards) per location?

The main issue is with some secret objective (don't remember precisely which one or the perfect text) which will require to completely empty a location.
Now.. emptying a location with 20 cards is a thing.. emtying with 40... is something else..

A bit minor, in the theme of the game, having all the cards in the locations seems a bit an overkill. It seems like these places have never been scavenged and you can find basically whatever you want. You'd have, for example, in the grocery store something like around 15 food cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duccio Torzuoli
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Djna83 wrote:
cruccio wrote:

The main issue is with some secret objective (don't remember precisely which one or the perfect text) which will require to completely empty a location.
Now.. emptying a location with 20 cards is a thing.. emtying with 40... is something else..

A bit minor, in the theme of the game, having all the cards in the locations seems a bit an overkill. It seems like these places have never been scavenged and you can find basically whatever you want. You'd have, for example, in the grocery store something like around 15 food cards...

ok, thanks. But, could these few secret objectives be removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cruccio wrote:

The other problem with using all 40 cards for each location is that when you are searching, you put the cards you don't want on the bottom of the deck. If the deck has 40 cards, it will take a lot longer (maybe never) for those cards to float back to the top.

I guess that could be seen as either a bug or a feature. But there have definitely been times when I didn't want a particular card in that moment, but really wanted it later. It would be a shame in that case if the card were buried at the bottom of a 40 card deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duccio Torzuoli
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
cruccio wrote:

The other problem with using all 40 cards for each location is that when you are searching, you put the cards you don't want on the bottom of the deck. If the deck has 40 cards, it will take a lot longer (maybe never) for those cards to float back to the top.

I guess that could be seen as either a bug or a feature. But there have definitely been times when I didn't want a particular card in that moment, but really wanted it later. It would be a shame in that case if the card were buried at the bottom of a 40 card deck.

mmm... I don't know, for me could be a feature. The game is not a deck building, the decks can be re-shuffled sometimes, I suppose it's very hard to prepare one deck for myself.

I'm not experienced, only four matches for me, with 3 and 4 players and betrayer, so I'll try some solo plays during these weeks, taking for me 3 players without betrayer and using all the 40 cards per decks, just to try and/or to lose my time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I do like the scenario where you have to empty locations, so you might want to try it sometime with 20-card location decks. Don't try it with 40. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
Having 40 card location decks also diminishes the threat of the Bandits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rapheal Qlim
msg tools
I own both and brought base game just for more characters variety and new obiectives, i don't use rest of game components. I always put a Long Night, add Crossroads characters and mix all crossroads cards from both games, but when someone take a card which refere to character which don't play atm we take another card. I don't mix crysis and especialy equipement cards because they very similar and having 40 instead of 20 on location is very game breaking and unbalanced, and in my opinnion useless because 90% of them have that same effect but they are weaker.

Im quite pissed of because of they greedy marketing, they could just relase Long Night as simple addon instead of Stand alone game, because to combine both games you use only little % of these components and rest is useless, but you need buy them which is quite expansive. Also that Warring Colonies that came with new characters and great items, do i want that exmpansion because of that even i wont play new mode. I hate that kind of marketing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.