Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I commit no characters to a quest, does a quest still resolve? Do I still flip cards into the staging area and then have to raise my threat level? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the phase happens whether or not you commit anyone to the quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Dill
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You still flip X threat cards (X = number of players), and increase your threat by the total amount of threat in the staging area minus committed willpower.

Card play during action windows could allow you to commit characters prior to resolution of the quest phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
The realization of this is probably the biggest "oh, #$^%@!" moment for anyone starting to play the game.

The world's going to keep getting more dangerous even if you stay tucked away in your Hobbit-hole in the Shire...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sauron doesn't take days off, man... sauron whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
Yes, the phase happens whether or not you commit anyone to the quest.

mueganra wrote:
You still flip X threat cards (X = number of players), and increase your threat by the total amount of threat in the staging area minus committed willpower.

Card play during action windows could allow you to commit characters prior to resolution of the quest phase.

Thanks for the clarification! I was running through how to teach my wife in my head and paused when I got there. It seemed straightforward when I read it, but I hadn't considered the case of not sending people questing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
The realization of this is probably the biggest "oh, #$^%@!" moment for anyone starting to play the game.

The world's going to keep getting more dangerous even if you stay tucked away in your Hobbit-hole in the Shire...

Yeah, or else you could sit back and just draw cards and get resources for a bit before decimating a quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpalframan wrote:
puzzlemonkey wrote:

Yeah, or else you could sit back and just draw cards and get resources for a bit before decimating a quest.

Which is the source of all the "this game is too easy" threads you'll find about six years back lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One quick follow-up clarification: do engaged enemies count toward the shadow when resolving the questing phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally only enemies in the staging area count towards threat. (I say normally only because there may be specific treacheries/enemies that break that rule). One of the advantages of engaging an enemy, even if you can't attack it that turn, is to get it out of the staging area and make it easier to quest successfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be a boardgamer like you, then I took a dice bag to the knee from Tonya Harding
mbmbmbmbmb
mpalframan wrote:
One quick follow-up clarification: do engaged enemies count toward the shadow when resolving the questing phase?

No. Engaged enemies and the active location do not count toward threat.
Only what is in the staging area counts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
mpalframan wrote:
puzzlemonkey wrote:

Which is the source of all the "this game is too easy" threads you'll find about six years back lol.
was going to mention this lol

that one super long thread about the guy who was just like 'beep boop boop.
count the numbers. what a TERRIBLE game'

and we were all sitting there like 'how do you know what's coming out of the quest deck every turn?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got through our first game! Had a couple of resultant questions pop up though:

1) If you put more progress tokens than necessary on a quest, do the remainders drop down to the next card? i.e. the quest needs 8 tokens, we add a total of 10, do the 2 extra get added to the next quest card or discarded?

2) If I added enough tokens to a location to travel to it while it's still in the staging area, what happens? Does it get discarded? Does the text resolve? Do we have to travel there and basically arrive immediately?

3) If we win, does the game end in the questing phase (3), or only at the end of phase 7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you complete a quest by placing more tokens than the quest requires, the excess is lost.

2) If you place enough progress tokens on a location in the staging area to clear it, it is explored and discarded. You follow any "when explored" text on the card.

3) Whenever you complete the conditions to win the scenario (for example, by clearing the final quest stage), the game ends immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Dave
Belgium
Bouge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

1) Extra tokens on a quest card are lost

2) Consider a location as a monster and the progress tokens as wounds. When a location has enough progress tokens to be explored, it is immediately discarded (like a killed monster) even in the staging area. So, don't need to travel there.

3) When you win, you win and the game ends immediately (the same as when you loose).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
1) If you complete a quest by placing more tokens than the quest requires, the excess is lost.

2) If you place enough progress tokens on a location in the staging area to clear it, it is explored and discarded. You follow any "when explored" text on the card.

3) Whenever you complete the conditions to win the scenario (for example, by clearing the final quest stage), the game ends immediately.

rivaro wrote:
Hello

1) Extra tokens on a quest card are lost

2) Consider a location as a monster and the progress tokens as wounds. When a location has enough progress tokens to be explored, it is immediately discarded (like a killed monster) even in the staging area. So, don't need to travel there.

3) When you win, you win and the game ends immediately (the same as when you loose).

Thanks! That's what I figured, but it's nice to have validation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.