Popular Tags: [View All]
Danko Petrovic
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! You can read my other short reviews here.

COMPONENTS
Very nice and high quality, as expected from FFG. Everything is packed in standard SilverLine box, so it's highly portable.

DESIGN
Design is pretty and thematic. Genestealer cards are all the same, it would be prettier if they had more variety... But it's nothing too important.

RULES
Death Angel is simple, cooperative game lightly based on Space Hulk Board Game. Every player controls team of 2 Space Marines that are sent to clean derelict ship of fairly weak but numerically superior genestealers.
Every team has 3 action cards; movement, attack and support. Movement allows a player to move and/or turn one or both of marines in that team. Attack is used to attack any genestealers in range and Support will generate support token that can be put on any space marine, and that is used for rerolling. Aside from standard actions, each of these cards has some special actions and properties that are tied to space marines in that team.
Depending on the scenario, the goal of the game is to clean locations, while random events help or complicate your run, and finish the final task.

FUN
I love Warhammer... It is my favourite fantasy/SF world. It is so grim and dark and cruel, and it is full of inspiration for many, both board and video games. So I really like the theme of this game.
On the other hand, as I said before in my other reviews, I am not a fan of cooperative games. They tend to prefer Alpha Player and his ordering and they also have a problem with luck, or losing a game because of 2-3 unlucky rolls. And Death Angel is a standard cooperative game with all its cons.
Then again, the game is full of exciting decisions and dice rolls that it is pretty much fun, although very frustrating.

REPLAY VALUE
There are enough random elements that it has a nice replay value, but should not be played too much... It is a light, travel, cooperative game and should be played as such.

OVERALL
Very high quality components, nice design and packed in small and portable box.
Death Angel is standard representative of coop board games, so if you have no problem with that type of games and like the theme, I can only recommend it... If you don't like cooperative games, like me, think again about it, or try it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
culix _
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBalder wrote:
Genestealer cards are all the same, it would be prettier if they had more variety

I think they are intentionally trying to make four "suites" of genestealers, which share one of the claw/tail/skull icons. This helps to show which genestealers count for certain types of movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning the alpha player problem, SH: DA does a good job at hiding information if you follow the rules (instinct, facedown cards), and you could always go totally blind by not telling other players what you intend to do. But prepare to die if you do.

As for randomness well it is needed in co-op games for replay purposes

Nice thoughts anyway, I get why you wouldn't like what you stressed. I had a difficult time liking the game at first, brutal as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danko Petrovic
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but it would be both prettier and even clearer if they made those suites had more variety... i.e. different image of genestealers... But it's really ok as it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.