Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Nefarious: Becoming a Monster Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Card Size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Osborn
United States
Marengo
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Picked this up yesterday and noticed that the cards are just slightly wider than the base game. The twist cards are the same size. The cards in the expansion also seem to be a little better quality.

These issues don't impact the game though in any way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens too often :/ for the twists it would not really matter but for the other cards it is a shame.

Do you have an early release with the less good quality?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I haven't noticed this. I sleeved the cards, though, so probably this won't ever affect me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:

Do you have an early release with the less good quality?


This is a very important question -- though, I don't recall if the newer cards were wider than the crummy cards.

However, I wonder if it really matters in this game, it's so light and all cards are 'unique' enough that you won't really know what someone has nor really care.

I just bought it via Amazon, should get it tomorrow. My fiance loves the game, so it's a must grab -- but honestly, did USAopoly even advertise this expansion, I just heard about it and it's already out. Barely any release pictures or activity on this board (but maybe demand isn't crazy)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Osborn
United States
Marengo
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Not 100% positive but I never had the problems with the chits, which occurred with that first release and the bad components. The base copy I have was sent to me last year by USAopoly as a review copy.

Yes, the cardstock was thinner but not to the point that it created an issue for me.

The slightly wider card really doesn't impact the game in any way.

I will have to lose the plastic insert to get everything into one box now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDiceHaveIt wrote:
Not 100% positive but I never had the problems with the chits, which occurred with that first release and the bad components. The base copy I have was sent to me last year by USAopoly as a review copy.

Yes, the cardstock was thinner but not to the point that it created an issue for me.

The slightly wider card really doesn't impact the game in any way.

I will have to lose the plastic insert to get everything into one box now.


Yeah, I made it out OK with the crummy components (bought it on release at Gencon). The coins were pretty cheap but didn't rip and the cardstock was laughable, but I was fine with it (disappointed with it mostly). USAopoly did do right by upping the components and sent out replacements free of charge so I really doubt they want to deal with component quality control again.

I had to ditch the insert as I kept the crummy cards and coins (just in case) so storage should be no issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup -- got the expansion yesterday

Card quality is good -- slightly better then the remade components.

Cards are a hair bigger and feel thicker. There are no issues in regards to the action cards as you get a whole NEW set (different backings from the original so you needed new ones due to the inclusion of 3 newer actions). The fact the invention cards aren't exactly the same size is a bit annoying, but I don't see it affecting the game play much. It's really only obvious if you are looking for it -- the newer ones are a smidge bigger (likely due to them being a smidge thicker).

Twists suffer a similar problem, but less noticeable for some odd reason. I did notice the coloration is a tiny shade darker on the twists.

Honestly, my only gripe is that they lodge the brain chit round counter in the insert to prevent it from moving around (which is great), unfortunately it got dented!

Otherwise the chit and the round counter board are thick cardboard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Mott
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
Cards are a hair bigger and feel thicker. There are no issues in regards to the action cards as you get a whole NEW set (different backings from the original so you needed new ones due to the inclusion of 3 newer actions). The fact the invention cards aren't exactly the same size is a bit annoying, but I don't see it affecting the game play much. It's really only obvious if you are looking for it -- the newer ones are a smidge bigger (likely due to them being a smidge thicker).


I received my base game and expansion at the same time, and as far as I can tell, the quality/thickness of the invention cards are the same in both base and expansion. But yes, the width being different is VERY annoying. I was going to mix in the expansion inventions and just couldn't even deal with the shuffling. It was too obvious which inventions were the expansions due to being wider.

Anyone know if it was just a mistake that USAopoly would be willing to fix or is that just how it is?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Naga02 wrote:
KingD21 wrote:
Cards are a hair bigger and feel thicker. There are no issues in regards to the action cards as you get a whole NEW set (different backings from the original so you needed new ones due to the inclusion of 3 newer actions). The fact the invention cards aren't exactly the same size is a bit annoying, but I don't see it affecting the game play much. It's really only obvious if you are looking for it -- the newer ones are a smidge bigger (likely due to them being a smidge thicker).


I received my base game and expansion at the same time, and as far as I can tell, the quality/thickness of the invention cards are the same in both base and expansion. But yes, the width being different is VERY annoying. I was going to mix in the expansion inventions and just couldn't even deal with the shuffling. It was too obvious which inventions were the expansions due to being wider.

Anyone know if it was just a mistake that USAopoly would be willing to fix or is that just how it is?


Good question. This is really annoying in shuffling both inventions cards and twists.

The wording on the new actions don't follow the same naming conventions either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had contacted USAopoly about the differences in the sizes, they mentioned a new printer was used for the expansion. I asked if they had replacement decks for the base game that matched up with the expansion, they sent me all new cards for the base game.

They were still the old ones that are thinner than the expansion.

At this point, I'm not sure if I should contact them again (which took a phone call after not hearing anything through email) or just buy sleeves. I do know being mismatched in size makes me not want to play it. Being able to tell where cards are while shuffling is a big turn off.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.