Subject: What are the odds? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Myth this weekend with some friends, 2 of whom were new to the game and 2 who are veterans, and we decided to start with Fury of the Fireborne. Everything was going great until we got to the final tile and started to mix it up with Ragog the Fierce.

We had 1 of the 3 pillars around the spawn point destroyed, and most of the minions dead, by the time that Ragog got to take his first attack. He hit our Swashbuckler, so I roll his 4 fate dice and trigger his most powerful special ability, triggering a new spawn point with 2 pillars. Ragog gets 2 attacks, so he swings at the Swashbuckler again and hits again. I roll his 4 FD again, and ugh... Fel Portal again!

So now we've got 3 portals in play and 6 pillars, so the Spawn phase triggers 18 new Fireborne!

We managed to kill a couple of them and luckily I had a Shadow's Touch in hand so my Brigand one-shotted one of the pillars, but our Soldier got swarmed and killed during the next Darkness cycle, which also spawned another 15 minions, at which point we called it a game. Time to reset and try again! laugh

So to reiterate, I rolled 4 FD and managed to get Darkness, Rage, Arcane. Twice! Sometimes the dice gods just hate you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be wrong but don't the bosses only roll their fate dice once per turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Correct and only after the normal attacks have happened.

Quote:
When activating a boss, the boss performs all of its attacks starting from the top of the boss
card and working down. After performing all attacks, players roll the fate dice listed in the
special section of the boss card (regardless of whether or not any attacks successfully hit). Then,
the boss triggers any fate recipes starting with the bottom of the boss card and working up.
These fate recipes are fulfilled the same way heroes trigger fate recipes on items. Some of these
fate recipes can reactivate a boss’ regular attack. In this instance do not reroll the fate
dice recipes.

Care of P18 of the rules, under 'Bosses' - same holds true for Mini-bosses which Ragog is. To reinforce this, the FD are not listed in the attack stat line like other monster have then and so they are only rolled once after all other attacks have been resolved.

Apart from that, you were damn unlucky getting the result on two consecutive rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

I just assumed that he was firing the Fate dice with every hit in order to increase the difficulty. So many house rules for this game I tend to just take everything at face value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zogre wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I just assumed that he was firing the Fate dice with every hit in order to increase the difficulty. So many house rules for this game I tend to just take everything at face value.

I don't think this is a house rule. It's in the rules someplace

The powers are hard enough when they only roll once. The rules are a little vague anyway. Like what happens if they can't attack for some reason. Like you have them boxed in by terrain and they have no ranged attacks that aren't triggered by fate dice. Do they still roll the fate dice? Probably but sometimes you have to make a command decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

I had missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preach379 wrote:
Can't remember for sure but I think that might be one of the things that is different from version 1 rules to version 2?

I looked thru the original rules and it appears you are right. Mainly b/c of poor wording. *sigh*

The section for Fate Dice in the Darkness chapter says that the use of FD is different between Minions & Captains and everyone else (Agents, Bosses, Mini-Bosses) but then does a horrible job explaining how the second group is different.

It clearly states that Minions and Captains only rolled FD when their attacks hit.

Then the last paragraph under FD says:
"Not all Fate dice attached to the Darkness have to do with attacks. There are many representatives of the Darkness that always roll Fate dice as part of a power or ability inherent in them. These powers and the Fate dice requirements are listed on their cards."

After reading it three times I guess that this is supposed to be referring to the list of abilities on the (mini-)Boss cards and Agents. It's just incredibly easy to gloss over and mis-understand. The sections on Bosses and Mini-Bosses never explains how to resolve their FD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Like you have them boxed in by terrain and they have no ranged attacks that aren't triggered by fate dice. Do they still roll the fate dice? Probably but sometimes you have to make a command decision.

Yes the FD are rolled, in the rules paragraph I copied and pasted from the v2 rules, it does not matter if the attacks hit or not for a Boss/Mini-boss, the FD are rolled seperately and last. Having no valid targets for an attack is the same to me as missing, basically the attack did nothing, but you still roll the FD.
Its like a seperate stage in the process:
1. Have I any targets; - yes: attack; no: go to next line
2. Have I any FD to roll - yes:roll and resolve; no:move to next line
3. No more lines - move to next monster/end darkness phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jolly G. Giant
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BTW - the odds of you rolling Darkness, Rage, and Arcane on 4 dice appear to be near 8%.

To do it twice in a row (or, putting it another way, rolling 8 dice and getting 2 Darkness, 2 Rage and 2 Arcane), the odds are at around 2%.

So, not impossible (obviously, since you managed it ), but pretty slim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.