Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some physical games (I'll consider apps) that can be played between the people who aren't driving during a road trip.

Specifically, I am going on a mission trip and we will be spending a lot of time in the van and I was told "no electronic devices". Does anyone have suggestions for games that a lot of people could play and can be played in a setting like a 15 passenger van? Probably entry level games because I'm assuming most of these kids aren't avid gamers... yet.

Also I'll be looking for games that work for 2-4 players in a car on the way to conventions. These can be for more experienced players.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spicyqueso15 wrote:
I'm looking for some physical games (I'll consider apps) that can be played between the people who aren't driving during a road trip.

Specifically, I am going on a mission trip and we will be spending a lot of time in the van and I was told "no electronic devices". Does anyone have suggestions for games that a lot of people could play and can be played in a setting like a 15 passenger van? Probably entry level games because I'm assuming most of these kids aren't avid gamers... yet.
Curious, "no electronic devices", but still consider apps?

Either way, consider games that also split them up. For 13 to 14p (minus the front seat passenger and driver I presume), go for "large group games" like Werewolf. 5p to 10p, The Resistance/Avalon

Do you have a flat surface of any kind?
--that'll be helpful to put down cards. Then you can do stuff like Coup and Love Letter
--Get a dice tray (or use a game's lid), and you can play games like King of Tokyo/New York.
(if no flat surface, consider playing this without the Power up cards)
--Wits & Wagers does up to 7p, but more players if you form teams. The betting mat takes up a lot of space, but W&W Party just uses cards which has a much smaller footprint.

spicyqueso15 wrote:
Also I'll be looking for games that work for 2-4 players in a car on the way to conventions. These can be for more experienced players.

Thanks in advance!

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Bring pencil/pens! Score sheet is the player board in a manner of speaking. The peg board has pegs that stick in, so they stay there (unlike say cubes on a board). Use the box lid as a dice tray

Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age
In the US, this is a PnP expansion, but I'm told outside, it is a commercial product. Probably overkill for your first few games, but does add extra elements to the game to make it "more complete", and some tweaks for gameplay balance.

Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age
A sequel in its own right. Also more streamlined version of above, with extra paths to victory

Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age with Mediterranean Expansion
This was only available with the base game! The Iron Age sub-series wasn't popular enough to have just the expansion in print! This too is likely overkill, unless your groups will get into the game long term, but a nice edition if you're up for it none of the less!

RTtA: Iron Age would be my pick if you could only choose 1, and consider its expansion if the price is right and/or strikes your long term fancy (again, since you don't really have the option to pick up just the Mediterranean exp).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Anything is my car ride game of choice. You can dispense with the scoring altogether if you wish (as with many party games) but because the game is played with a handheld disk and wet (or dry) erase marker boards, it's totally playable without a table. The game also prompts pretty good conversation, so I recommend not rushing to score and talking out each topic amongst the players, because you're in the car anyway and have plenty of time.

Pete (uses the questions from Say Anything Family Edition and the standard scoring when playing with the kids)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find it, we used to play Are We There Yet? It requires people to look out the windows, and pay attention to what's out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Curious, "no electronic devices", but still consider apps?

No electronic devices is just for the mission trip, but as one of the chaperones I think I will be allowed to use them if they are facilitating a game that is helping the High Schoolers get to know each other and interact. I believe the rule is in place so that people aren't just doing a solo mobile app.

I will be sure to bring King of Tokyo along and will play without the power ups, great suggestion!

I'm not sure of the logistics of the trip yet, but I don't think there will be a flat surface.

I'll be looking into wits and wagers, Say anything, and Are We There Yet?

I will definitely bring One Night, and The Resistance but we will only really be able to play those when we aren't in the van.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interstate Highway Bingo there are 2-3 versions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive Pocket in a board game lid, might work.

Can I just say thank you for thinking about bringing games. On our Mission trips we also had no electronics rules, and we mostly just slept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ribbon Drive is great. Here's a link with a review:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_reviews_info.php?&review...

Spyfall would work really well too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Craven
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could buy some hex graph paper so you can play Atoll and Racetrack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits and wagers would also work. You could theme the questions around the missions trip and destination.

I've done this in the past for various things - Mother's 65th birthday (all questions about mom), Board game fundraiser event (questions about the charity that it was for), etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming no easy flat surface to work with my suggestions would be:

Coup
Love Letter
Sushi Go or Sushi Go Party
Spyfall

If each person has their own surface to use:
Kahuna
7 wonders
San Juan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read some where that they play Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures in the car
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot about any surface and play Dragon Punch. May need some variety like license plate counting in between rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Sherlock Holmes would be good, only need one 'reader' and one note-keeper.

You could also play something like "Fiasco" or any number of light RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Over/Under
Spot it! On the Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cow Tiger Santa Claus of course.

Also we've used Black Stories to great success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Perrine
msg tools
mbmb
Here are some games I would suggest:

Saint Malo
Avenue
Love Letter - or any of the others in that series
Spyfall - Could be fun with a group, might be difficult when learning the different locations
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had moderate success playing Black Stories on a car trip - even the driver can participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series or similar book-based games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.