Escape Room: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Problems with the decoder. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Was thinking about purchasing this today as I have all the Exit and Unlock games as well and love all of them. Do more people have no problems with their decoders than have problems with them? Do the majority of them work because I don't want to spend $35-$40 on something and have it not work. Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank I
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I think they are releasing an app which will take the place of the decoder sometime this year. But I have it and have never had a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My decoder is fine.

And lets be honest, it's kind of cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't they sell this game in Walmart and Target? Pretty sure would pull the game if the majority of the decoders didn't work.

It's a great game and we are glad to have it in our collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
No it's definitely cool. I wasn't denying that. I was trying to make sure that most of them worked and it was just a few people that had problems that's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part the decoders seem to work quite well for almost everyone. If that wasn't the case, the forums would be filled with people complaining rather than just a handful of cases which you would expect. I wouldn't avoid purchasing because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Ordered it from Amazon guys. Thank you for your help and happy gaming to all of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our decoder is fine - it was trying to keep up with the speed of my kid's logical decision-making that was my problem. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Sodani
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had problems with our decoder in our first play. Awesome game, but we haven't pulled it out again since - we're too wary of the frustration repeating itself. Waiting patiently for the app instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had any issues w/ the decoder here. I like the idea of an app to help w/ this, though. It could also make sure you're on the proper "room" so you don't have issues with accidentally putting in the wrong set of keys to start and somehow get a success. However, I really like the way the keys feel and look. You can't replace that w/ an app.

(I think I managed to get the base game in-store @ Wal-mart for $20 and each of the expansions later for $10 each. Couldn't beat that online, but it was sporadic when I saw that pricing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah I got the game in Amazon for $30 and I remember seeing the expansions in Walmart at one point but I'll have to go back and look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Bennetts
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
fcatlanta1977 wrote:
I think they are releasing an app which will take the place of the decoder sometime this year. But I have it and have never had a problem.

What makes you say that? Im curious if that info was posted anywhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigo Velito
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a problem with our second game with the decoder.

It had buzzed early when we put in the third key and fourth; we knew we had the right answer. We turned off and on just making a note of our time...still had the same problem. We fixed it by putting in the key with larger prong into each spot to release whatever was stuck...haven't had a problem with the next 2 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Beeckmans-Cop
msg tools
We had problems too in the second game. We gave in the right keys but the decoder 'said' it was wrong.
No problem in the first and third game. And we didn't escape the 4th room ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
Was thinking about purchasing this today as I have all the Exit and Unlock games as well and love all of them. Do more people have no problems with their decoders than have problems with them? Do the majority of them work because I don't want to spend $35-$40 on something and have it not work. Thanks guys.

From publisher-side: electronic units normally have a 1% chance of being defective, making problems. So when you buy a fridge, you can just be unlucky and get 1 out of 100 that doesn't work well. Judging from the customers that contact us because of faulty decoders, we are about there.

One hint from my side: try to use fresh batteries - we had some reports of some Chrono Decoders making problems when using old batteries.

If someone reading this bought the German version and is having troubles with their CD, feel free to contact our customer service (see rulebook for more information), we'll try to help asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list of people who had problems with the decoder. It really spoiled the fun, since we were pretty certain we had the right answer but we were continually told we didn't. We confirmed we had the answer by looking at the final Hint cards and the walkthrough.

Disappointed. And perhaps Jaded, but we weren't overly impressed by the puzzles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
We had an issue with the decoder on our first game at the end of prison break. Decoder kept buzzing us when we put in the third key. Looked up the walkthrough after time ran out and we had the right code. Tried again and it buzzed us at the third, but then ok'd the fourth key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ours worked fine for Prison Break and Virus

Just tried Nuclear Countdown and puzzle 2 didn't work which then meant puzzle 3 didn't either. Disappointing that there is nothing posted on their website FAQ regards this. They do reference dead batteries, but Puzzle 1 gave me the correct sound so don't think that's the issue.

I put fresh batteries in based on the FAQ online and tried the Nuclear Countdown codes again. All Worked! Woohoo. It is that simple.

There is an app that does sound only, surely couldn't be that tricky to add something to allow it to work like the decoder. Despite the fixing of the machine with batteries, still think a better app would be a good addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
We went back a second time with fresh batteries, trying codes for both Prison Break and failing, then playing Virus. We've spent a lot of time trying to get the device to work. Total fail. Had to use the walkthrough, which most won't know about, to verify when we got the codes right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Skoog
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
We went back a second time with fresh batteries, trying codes for both Prison Break and failing, then playing Virus. We've spent a lot of time trying to get the device to work. Total fail. Had to use the walkthrough, which most won't know about, to verify when we got the codes right.

I think I'm in the same boat. I've tried new batteries in mine multiple times as well as following the FAQ on the website all to no avail. When I managed to get a customer service rep on the phone, his advice was to "hold down all the buttons for 15 seconds" on a device with only an on switch and a single button... He also told me that they had no decoders available to effect a replacement. Maybe since this is now post-GenCon, I can finally get a competent CSR on the phone to replace it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game not too long ago, had a similar issue - second code of the Prison Break did not work, and we verified we had the right code on the second try. But once it stopped working, it wouldn't take anything as the answer. Had to restart the decoder entirely, and then it worked after that. Batteries are fresh out of the box, had never been played before.

Not sure what happened, really. It is more frustrating to have a malfunction with this type of game since you are not 100% sure whether it's equipment failure or that you just don't have the right answer.

Still, overall a pretty fun experience. Will have to see if any problems recur with the other rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems on our end, finished all four scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.