15 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Am I playing this wrong? The game loses steam before ending. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
André Gaiarsa
msg tools
Hello,

I've played this game numerous times on solo variant, and I love it. But every single time I played the normal TM with 3-4 players, the game starts out really fun and simply never ends. Everybody just does what they can to max out their points, and the global parameters eventually are almost forgotten.

People accumulate so many resources the game's cubes run out, the cards run out, and we are still just raising TR, placing cities and going after awards and achievements since they give SO many more points then raising one of the parameters. What are we doing wrong? Is it supposed to have a generation limit?

We always have a blast in the beginning to mid, then on the end everyone has accumulated a ridiculous amount of resources, and since we can get more than 1 VP per action with cities and those other things I mentioned, no one ever spends an action to raise a parameter unless they get a big parameter-raising card like a meteor.

What ALWAYS happens is that the players who are most tired of the game start just raising the parameters every turn (and because of this have decided that losing is better then playing forever), while the others spend their actions getting much more than the measly 1 vp from spending heat and such.

I don't understand how this can be different. Two actions is so little that you normally can either get a much higher income raise than a parameter raise would provide, or you can get more VPs than a parameter raise could give.

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you raising the TR without raising the end game parameters? Building cities does not increase your TR.

Regarding the turns, you can only take two actions per turn, but you can take unlimited actions per generation (provided you still have resources that you can use).

It sounds like you're making a couple of key errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andregaia wrote:
Hello,

I've played this game numerous times on solo variant, and I love it. But every single time I played the normal TM with 3-4 players, the game starts out really fun and simply never ends. Everybody just does what they can to max out their points, and the global parameters eventually are almost forgotten.

People accumulate so many resources the game's cubes run out, the cards run out, and we are still just raising TR, placing cities and going after awards and achievements since they give SO many more points then raising one of the parameters. What are we doing wrong? Is it supposed to have a generation limit?

We always have a blast in the beginning to mid, then on the end everyone has accumulated a ridiculous amount of resources, and since we can get more than 1 VP per action with cities and those other things I mentioned, no one ever spends an action to raise a parameter unless they get a big parameter-raising card like a meteor.

What ALWAYS happens is that the players who are most tired of the game start just raising the parameters every turn (and because of this have decided that losing is better then playing forever), while the others spend their actions getting much more than the measly 1 vp from spending heat and such.

I don't understand how this can be different. Two actions is so little that you normally can either get a much higher income raise than a parameter raise would provide, or you can get more VPs than a parameter raise could give.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you have unlimited actions per generation until you pass, the 2 action limit is per turn, not generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Casey
msg tools
mbmbmb
You get unlimited actions per generation. A generation does not end until all players have passed. So play is like p1 takes 1 action, p2 takes 2 actions, p3 takes 2 actions, p1 takes 1 action, p2 passes, p3 takes 1 action, p1 passes, p3 takes 6 actions, p3 passes, production happens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Gaiarsa
msg tools
We are raising it only when prompted by cards or raising parameters, that part I'm sure we're playing right! I know cities don't raise TR, but they give a lot of VP.

But we are playing wrong with the actions then. So everyone can keep playing before generation ends? And if someone cant play anymore they just pass?

That does seem like it would work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Gaiarsa
msg tools
THanks for the help guys!

So if you have a card that makes an action, you can do it over and over on the same generation as long as you have a resource to activate it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andregaia wrote:
THanks for the help guys!

So if you have a card that makes an action, you can do it over and over on the same generation as long as you have a resource to activate it?

Nope, once per generation unless it says otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Casey
msg tools
mbmbmb
You have to take at least one action on your turn or be forced to pass. After you take 1 or 2 actions, play goes to the next player still in the round. Once you pass, you cannot jump back in.

The 2 actions per turn is something a lot of people have misinterpreted as 2 actions per generation. This forum is littered with posts saying the game is broken that result in op being informed they have this rule wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
andregaia wrote:
We are raising it only when prompted by cards or raising parameters, that part I'm sure we're playing right! I know cities don't raise TR, but they give a lot of VP.

But we are playing wrong with the actions then. So everyone can keep playing before generation ends? And if someone cant play anymore they just pass?

That does seem like it would work!

It would work because that's how the game is meant to be played. If you are running out of resource cubes this is likely what you are doing wrong. Sure there are more points you can gain from 1 action, but once you use all the actions on your blue cards, spend all your money on playing other cards or cities, you still have loads of heat or plants left over, use remaining actions to raise temperature and oxygen... because at that point they are "free" points for raising the TR (assuming you have no other way to use the heat and it doesn't cost you the thermalist award).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirusx715 wrote:
You have to take at least one action on your turn or be forced to pass. After you take 1 or 2 actions, play goes to the next player still in the round. Once you pass, you cannot jump back in.

The 2 actions per turn is something a lot of people have misinterpreted as 2 actions per generation. This forum is littered with posts saying the game is broken that result in op being informed they have this rule wrong.

Btw, this is also true when playing solo - you can have as many actions during 1 generation as you wish

The way you play it - without raising your TR - how on Earth do you get enough money to afford...well...anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Casey
msg tools
mbmbmb
esed wrote:
Sirusx715 wrote:

Btw, this is also true when playing solo - you can have as many actions during 1 generation as you wish

The way you play it - without raising your TR - how on Earth do you get enough money to afford...well...anything?

Are you directing your question at my post or the op?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
esed wrote:

Not on Earth. On Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever have serious doubts if you play a game correctly it is a good idea to read the FAQ to the game.
In this case the very first clarification of the TFM-FAQ is about the number of actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirusx715 wrote:
esed wrote:
Sirusx715 wrote:

Are you directing your question at my post or the op?

Sorry, to the OP. I quoted your post for the uppor part of my comment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Glad I saw this thread. The rules are obviously confusing if the query keeps coming up again and again.

I played a 2 player game and by the end we’d nearly used all the resource cubes and spent much of the game over-flowing with resources and cards. Didn’t feel right, and now I know it’s not righT,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.