Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the experience of DSTBG drops off significantly after the mini boss fight.

Up until then, you have a steadily escalating battles and (with a few variants) the game doesn't take too damn long. And honestly, the game feels finished after the miniboss.

After that, some of the fights are still interesting, but the second half tends to feel anticlimactic (especially if you're going after the Dancer).

So- I was thinking that the game might just be better to stop after the first half (like the Steamforge folks do in their playthrough video).

Has anyone tried simply replacing a mini boss with a full boss? Play through the mini boss' dungeon like normal, and then when you fight the boss, you just use one of the full boss fights instead?

Looking over the stats, I get the impression that the full bosses aren't all that much stronger than the mini bosses. Has anyone tried this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing several campaigns we noticed the same thing. So we replace 2 normal cards with heat up cards from the beginning and then add in all heat up cards and subtract all but one regular cards when the boss gets to heat up health. This helps the boss feel more powerful. This last time we also added a +1 to the attack and armor ratings once heatup hit. Much better boss experience. Oh, we also did not reset health after each encounter. We absolutely love the changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like this idea in principle - the Boss Draft variant lets you do just that - but the main bosses are much tougher than the mini bosses, and the level 3 encounters are considerably more interesting and tense than the level 1 encounters, so I would actually start the players with a big chunk of souls and jump straight to the second half of the game if they choose to fight a main boss.

The main problem here is that the game only ships with two main bosses, with very different difficulty levels. The Dancer has only 34 health and 2 defense, and she has too many non-targeted physical attack cards, so often she's a total pushover for high-level players. She can one-shot you with a Heat Up card, but that's it. O&S by contrast are very tough, with 40-60 health and 2.5 defense, a good variety of both physical and magic targeted attacks that are often quite hard to dodge, and just having two boss models on the board makes it much harder for your tank to soak up all the damage.

Try it yourself - my group has failed multiple times to kill O&S even with 32 souls per player, while I don't think we've ever failed to kill the Gargoyle or the Outrider Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.