Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

After 2 false starts/resets and 2 dentist-grade Ibuprofen tablets, i finally made it through the Prologue and have the obligatory questions...

1) The enemy which appears at Story Point 1: when it is defeated, does its card go into the Enemy discard pile, such that it can be drawn again later during spawning, or is it removed from the game? (That particular enemy seems rather unthematic in the following parts of the scenario.)

2) "Active Hero" during the Event Phase: Events are drawn after all heroes have finished there turns, and there is no Active Hero during the Event Phase (see section 4.2, page 14). The Event Phase docs (page 15, section 4.3) say: "As the main step of this phase, the active hero must...", without defining who the active hero is. i can only assume that "Active Hero" means the last hero who acted before the Event phase?


Sidebar: i made the mistake of using a 3D Chest miniature. They're kind of useless because they have to be used together with the 2D chest tokens (which the 3D minis ostensibly replace) in order to figure out what's in them (page 10, "Chest"). Facepalm. Seriously, the contents of chests should be scenario-dependent (and declared in the story book), not hard-coded onto 3 static tokens. Now i feel like a dope for having painted them all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Hi, all,

After 2 false starts/resets and 2 dentist-grade Ibuprofen tablets, i finally made it through the Prologue and have the obligatory questions...

1) The enemy which appears at Story Point 1: when it is defeated, does its card go into the Enemy discard pile, such that it can be drawn again later during spawning, or is it removed from the game? (That particular enemy seems rather unthematic in the following parts of the scenario.)



It's removed from the game.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the story book it says, "Note: When any Green Raider dies, remove it from the Quest."



sgbeal wrote:
2) "Active Hero" during the Event Phase: Events are drawn after all heroes have finished there turns, and there is no Active Hero during the Event Phase (see section 4.2, page 14). The Event Phase docs (page 15, section 4.3) say: "As the main step of this phase, the active hero must...", without defining who the active hero is. i can only assume that "Active Hero" means the last hero who acted before the Event phase?


The Active Hero in this case is the last hero who acted. This was confirmed somewhere, but I can't find the thread right now.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
It's removed from the game.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the story book it says, "Note: When any Green Raider dies, remove it from the Quest."


Thank you! Apparently i need to learn to read more closely.

Aha, here it is... in the Book of Secrets.

Sidebar: i was "just a tiny bit" annoyed when the BoS called for new minis/enemy cards, as i had already taken out only the minis called for in the Story Book, and packed up the boxes and put them back on my shelves. (i haven't any spare space to leave them laying around while playing.) This type of interruption while playing (in the middle of a hero's turn, no less) is horribly distracting and frustrating. i understand why it's set up that way, but it still sucks.


DancingFool wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
2) "Active Hero" during the Event Phase: Events are drawn after all heroes have finished there turns, and there is no Active Hero during the Event Phase (see section 4.2, page 14). The Event Phase docs (page 15, section 4.3) say: "As the main step of this phase, the active hero must...", without defining who the active hero is. i can only assume that "Active Hero" means the last hero who acted before the Event phase?


The Active Hero in this case is the last hero who acted. This was confirmed somewhere, but I can't find the thread right now.


That's the only sensible definition i can think of.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

Sidebar: i made the mistake of using a 3D Chest miniature. They're kind of useless because they have to be used together with the 2D chest tokens (which the 3D minis ostensibly replace) in order to figure out what's in them (page 10, "Chest"). Facepalm. Seriously, the contents of chests should be scenario-dependent (and declared in the story book), not hard-coded onto 3 static tokens. Now i feel like a dope for having painted them all.


They're decorative. And they fit perfectly over top of the token, so if you care enough to use them when their only purpose is visual bling, you just put down the random token(s) and then stick the fancy chest on top of them. I couldn't paint anything to save my life, so consider yourself lucky you have the skill and will to do it.

Why should they be static? The chests are just well-protected loot bags, which are also random tokens. It varies up the results, so you don't know whether the chest will be worth going after or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Sidebar: i made the mistake of using a 3D Chest miniature. They're kind of useless because they have to be used together with the 2D chest tokens (which the 3D minis ostensibly replace) in order to figure out what's in them (page 10, "Chest"). Facepalm. Seriously, the contents of chests should be scenario-dependent (and declared in the story book), not hard-coded onto 3 static tokens. Now i feel like a dope for having painted them all.


They're decorative. And they fit perfectly over top of the token, so if you care enough to use them when their only purpose is visual bling, you just put down the random token(s) and then stick the fancy chest on top of them.


They're twice the setup time of normal chests, so i won't be using the 3D chests again. This game has enough token-overflow as it is, without needing more. (BTW, the doors and chests were the only minis i painted/will paint, for a given definition of "painted" - i simply washed them with a dark color and dry-brushed a lighter color over it.)


More Mellotron wrote:
Why should they be static? The chests are just well-protected loot bags, which are also random tokens. It varies up the results, so you don't know whether the chest will be worth going after or not.


The chests' contents are static. There are 3 chest tokens, each with a static treasure result printed on the bottom. i.e. we know, with 33% accuracy, what's in every chest. That gold amount on one of them is the same no matter what Quest or Act you're in, which just seems kinda wrong. The Book of Secrets should define what goes into each chest for each mission.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

They're twice the setup time of normal chests, so i won't be using the 3D chests again.


Twice 15 seconds? I guess so. As you already noted, it's also a simple D6 roll to determine which of the three you get, so it's actually no extra setup, in point of fact.

sgbeal wrote:

The Book of Secrets should define what goes into each chest for each mission.


And I don't think it should, or at the least certainly doesn't need to. I could certainly ask for more chests, but that's trivial too, just make up a result table, stick the figures down, and roll randomly when you bash one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:


The chests' contents are static. There are 3 chest tokens, each with a static treasure result printed on the bottom. i.e. we know, with 33% accuracy, what's in every chest. That gold amount on one of them is the same no matter what Quest or Act you're in, which just seems kinda wrong. The Book of Secrets should define what goes into each chest for each mission.


I don't really see the issue. The gold one is a nice sum and the other 2 give you treasure cards, which are random, so you don't know what's in them. What more could they do? One that lets you draw 3 treasure cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
I don't really see the issue. The gold one is a nice sum and the other 2 give you treasure cards, which are random, so you don't know what's in them. What more could they do? One that lets you draw 3 treasure cards?


Maybe one is empty? Maybe one contains a Soul Weapon? We'll never know, because someone hard-coded 3 specific results (and Soul Weapons aren't in the Treasure deck).

It just seems like a waste to hard-code those results on the chests, considering that chests can conceivably contain anything at all (within scenario-dependent limits).

Edit: for example, i'd prefer that the chests are simply labeled (on the bottom) "A", "B", and "C", and the scenario description tells us what A, B, and C mean. When placing a chest, one would do so randomly (unless the scenario says otherwise).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

It just seems like a waste to hard-code those results on the chests, considering that chests can conceivably contain anything at all (within scenario-dependent limits).

Edit: for example, i'd prefer that the chests are simply labeled (on the bottom) "A", "B", and "C", and the scenario description tells us what A, B, and C mean. When placing a chest, one would do so randomly (unless the scenario says otherwise).


I didn't grasp that that's what you were suggesting, but I kind of agree with that. The rest of the game makes use of that approach of reusing tokens and cards to mean scenario-dependent things.

I guess my point is that I wouldn't want most scenarios to pre-define what's in a given chest, but I could see using different variable contents that fit the scenario. It's not exactly a big reach to do that in the custom scenarios people might build with the quest editor.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
You can actually shove the chest token into the bottom of the chest and just draw the chest randomly, which means no extra set-up time (but you won't be able to get the loot token back out).

They could have a chest in a quest with something special. They would just use a waypoint in the chest room and when you read from the book of secrets it will say ignore the symbol on the chest and take ... instead.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy I read this thread! I had no idea the chest tokens were still needed! I was about to throw them out still in the punch board. I just assumed they weren't needed since we had the 3d ones!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pushed the tokens into the bottom of the 3D chests. Works great
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cozar wrote:
You can actually shove the chest token into the bottom of the chest and just draw the chest randomly, which means no extra set-up time (but you won't be able to get the loot token back out).


Don't do this if you intend to paint them, unless you are confident that you can paint them exactly the same.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.