8 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: New to Game - Hoth Decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all! Just getting started with the game.

I was looking to make some new decks and I have the Core Set and the first cycle.

I was thinking about making Hoth decks - and it seems logical (?) to simply throw all of the Hoth objective sets for both Light and Dark together to make a deck.

Would this be a decent way to go? Or should I approach more from the standpoint of put in a majority of Hoth objective sets and sprinkle in a few non-Hoth?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard, Matthew!

As far as the deck building thing goes, I find building decks for SWtCG to be the easiest due to the pod structure. The Hoth theme is strong in the first cycle so it does stand to reason it is a good way to go. Whatever the theme (Hoth or otherwise) I like to build my decks within the given faction and sprinkle in the neutral objectives. Very rarely do I cross factions. It makes it easier to resource match the affiliation you are putting into play and also keeps the decks fairly simple in execution. There aren't a lot of players for SWtCG in my area, so when I build my decks I build them to be as balanced as possible. A new player can use one of my decks and hopefully will have a fun experience.

Enjoy your exploration into SwtCG. It really is a wonderful card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I build Hoth decks, I like to put in mostly Hoth decks but then put in a few non-Hoth objectives as well. One of the themes used for the Hoth cycle was the idea of battling over the Hoth terrain. They did this by giving you benefits for having some number of Hoth objectives or by having more Hoth objectives than your opponent. When playing casually, I found that having all Hoth objectives limited this theme because it was all Hoth. By including some non-Hoth objectives, it feels like you really are fighting for this planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
Welcome aboard, Matthew!

As far as the deck building thing goes, I find building decks for SWtCG to be the easiest due to the pod structure. The Hoth theme is strong in the first cycle so it does stand to reason it is a good way to go. Whatever the theme (Hoth or otherwise) I like to build my decks within the given faction and sprinkle in the neutral objectives. Very rarely do I cross factions. It makes it easier to resource match the affiliation you are putting into play and also keeps the decks fairly simple in execution. There aren't a lot of players for SWtCG in my area, so when I build my decks I build them to be as balanced as possible. A new player can use one of my decks and hopefully will have a fun experience.

I second this sound advice. I do the same with deck building. Then someone just needs to grab the faction deck he or she likes, and away we go. BTW I try to have one light and one dark side Hoth deck to play against each other for theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebel and Navy are the only two you can make dedicated Hoth decks with. There might be enough Smugglers & Spies to make a Renegade Squadron deck, but I honestly don't remember.

They're playable. Not particularly fantastic, but they do work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Rebel and Navy are the only two you can make dedicated Hoth decks with. There might be enough Smugglers & Spies to make a Renegade Squadron deck, but I honestly don't remember.

They're playable. Not particularly fantastic, but they do work.

Rebel and Imperial Navy are my two Hoth decks, which make thematic sense amd I think that's what the designers intended for that cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CPBelt wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:
Welcome aboard, Matthew!

I second this sound advice. I do the same with deck building. Then someone just needs to grab the faction deck he or she likes, and away we go. BTW I try to have one light and one dark side Hoth deck to play against each other for theme.

I actually have a deck for each faction, so six decks total to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
mcd1982 wrote:
Hi all! Just getting started with the game.

I was looking to make some new decks and I have the Core Set and the first cycle.

I was thinking about making Hoth decks - and it seems logical (?) to simply throw all of the Hoth objective sets for both Light and Dark together to make a deck.

Would this be a decent way to go? Or should I approach more from the standpoint of put in a majority of Hoth objective sets and sprinkle in a few non-Hoth?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

One of my favorite parts of this game is crafting decks around a theme, and they did a nice job with Hoth.

As mentioned, Rebels and Navy are the best bets, but you can make decks with some of the other factions; just be prepared to sprinkle in some non Hoth. Don't bother with Scum though---not to say there aren't good Scum pods there; 'lucrative contract' is one of my favorite all time---Hoth just isn't their fight.

Interestingly, there are two force packs from Echoes of the Force cycle that gave Hoth sets: 'The Hoth Gambit' (from Knowledge and Defence) which contains General Rieekan, a tautuan and a snow speeder event, and 'The Admirals Assault' (from 'It Binds All Things') which has Admiral Piett. I include that Rebel one in my speeder deck routinely.

Rebels:
2 x Hoth Operations
2 x The Hoth Gambit (since it sounds like you don't have this, sub out for 1 x Defense of Yavin IV (core) and 1 x Hold the Line)
2 x Sensors are Placed
2 x Attack Pattern Delta
1 x Frozen Refuge
1 x Echo Base Defense

Navy:
2 x Lord Vaders Command
1 x Deploy the Fleet
1 x Sabotage in the Snow
2 x A Dark Time for the Rebellion
2 x The Generals Imperative
2 x Unstoppable Advance

Sith:
2 x The Killing Cold
2 x Shadows on the Ice
2 x Vaders Fist
2 x The Executor Arrives
1 x Fall of the Jedi (core)
1 x The Emperors Web (Core)
Edit: 1 x Shadows on the Ice as this is limit 1 per deck. Substitute with 1 x Counsel of the Sith (core). The theme here is that the Sith hope to use the harsh environs of Hoth against their enemy to slow the light side charge. Throw in a few monsters, sacrificing them even, to accomplish their evil goals....

Jedi:
2 x Preparation for Battle
2 x A Message from Beyond
2 x A Heros Resolve
2 x A Deep Commitment (since you likely don't have this, sub out 1 x The Secret of Yavin IV (core) and 1 x Last Minute Rescue)
1 x A Heros Journey
1 x In You Must Go

Smugglers:
2 x Renegade Squadron Mobilization
2 x Prepare for Evacuation
2 x Last Defense of Hoth
2 x Undercover Dealings
1 x Questionable Contacts (Core)
1 x Hit and Run (Core)

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.