Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Robo Rally» Forums » General

Subject: What edits should i do for the most fun/value of this game(justgotacopy) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
So i read a little about this new version and what happened with Richard Garfield - i never owned robo rally before-

so what modifications are you guys doing to get the best out of this game?

what rules should i use

i think one is 3 upgrade cards for each player at the start to pick one

what else?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:
So i read a little about this new version and what happened with Richard Garfield - i never owned robo rally before-

so what modifications are you guys doing to get the best out of this game?

what rules should i use

i think one is 3 upgrade cards for each player at the start to pick one

what else?


Try it Rules-as-written first. You might find it enjoyable.

8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Option Cards
A. No Market place for Options. Just a face down deck.
B. Players start with 3 options in hand but must pay to play them.
C. Players can draw additional options into hand for 2 energy.

2. Movement turn order.
A. Move 3 first
B. Move 2 second
C. Move 1 third
D. Back up fourth
E. Ties broken by distance from the Radio tower

3. Crab legs costs 1 energy to use

4. Use the advanced rules in the back of the book.



Optional
Upgrade the cards from Arts Cow.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:

1. Option Cards
A. No Market place for Options. Just a face down deck.
B. Players start with 3 options in hand but must pay to play them.
C. Players can draw additional options into hand for 2 energy.

4. Use the advanced rules in the back of the book.


We use these two modifications also. Except we also draft the 3 start cards (pick one and pass two, pick another and pass the last one).

Also we have started putting an energy cube back onto the battery spaces at the beginning of each round (not each register) if a bot has already picked up the cube from the space and there is no bot current sitting on it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
sancmat wrote:

1. Option Cards
A. No Market place for Options. Just a face down deck.
B. Players start with 3 options in hand but must pay to play them.
C. Players can draw additional options into hand for 2 energy.

4. Use the advanced rules in the back of the book.


We use these two modifications also. Except we also draft the 3 start cards (pick one and pass two, pick another and pass the last one).

Also we have started putting an energy cube back onto the battery spaces at the beginning of each round (not each register) if a bot has already picked up the cube from the space and there is no bot current sitting on it.



Ohhh I like those.

For reference my change to turn order is just to speed up game play. It results in a lot less checking of who goes first.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Grimstringer wrote:
So i read a little about this new version and what happened with Richard Garfield - i never owned robo rally before-

so what modifications are you guys doing to get the best out of this game?

what rules should i use

i think one is 3 upgrade cards for each player at the start to pick one

what else?


Try it Rules-as-written first. You might find it enjoyable.


Completely agree.

sancmat wrote:

1. Option Cards
A. No Market place for Options. Just a face down deck.
B. Players start with 3 options in hand but must pay to play them.
C. Players can draw additional options into hand for 2 energy.

2. Movement turn order.
A. Move 3 first
B. Move 2 second
C. Move 1 third
D. Back up fourth
E. Ties broken by distance from the Radio tower

3. Crab legs costs 1 energy to use

4. Use the advanced rules in the back of the book.



Optional
Upgrade the cards from Arts Cow.

I do not know what is wrong with the option market. I think it works fine. Turn order by the radio is also perfect. Most of the time you do not need to check anyway and if it matters, it is easy to determine. Crab legs are strong; but so are some other cards (I cannot remember the name, but the one that lets you put cards on the discard pile makes you pretty much auto destroy all damage).

What actually are the advanced rules? That you have to play every card and not discard the unused cards at the end of the turn? I do not know how this is more fun. It certainly makes the game harder, but so would be a 7 card hand limit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
See Richard Garfield's comments on the market changes. What I posted is what he intended the rules to be. Why do I like it more? because there is less time with people looking over the market. determining turn order to see who gets to buy from the market first ... etc. it just works more smoothly.



Yes. those are the advanced rules. With the basic rules there is almost no point to damage cards. You can easily go an entire game without ever playing a damage card. Having to decide when to take risks is such a valuable part of the game. Is it worth it to take the damange? do I want to play a damage card in hopes of drawing the card I need? The basic game lacks the stress.



Again this is all my opinion. I am affected by 22 years of playing Robo Rally. If you've never played before then make your own decisions.


Ohhh and as far as crab legs goes. As compared to the other option cards that do not require energy to use it is OP. There is no limitation to its use and it allows you to turn a move 1 into a two move ones and 2 rotates. With efficient use of that card (more than any other I've seen) you can rip through a board. Other OP option cards such as the ability to walk through walls (sorry I don't remember the name right now) require 1 energy to use. Again my opinion. play how you want.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
See Richard Garfield's comments on the market changes. What I posted is what he intended the rules to be. Why do I like it more? because there is less time with people looking over the market. determining turn order to see who gets to buy from the market first ... etc. it just works more smoothly.



Yes. those are the advanced rules. With the basic rules there is almost no point to damage cards. You can easily go an entire game without ever playing a damage card. Having to decide when to take risks is such a valuable part of the game. Is it worth it to take the damange? do I want to play a damage card in hopes of drawing the card I need? The basic game lacks the stress.



Again this is all my opinion. I am affected by 22 years of playing Robo Rally. If you've never played before then make your own decisions.


Ohhh and as far as crab legs goes. As compared to the other option cards that do not require energy to use it is OP. There is no limitation to its use and it allows you to turn a move 1 into a two move ones and 2 rotates. With efficient use of that card (more than any other I've seen) you can rip through a board. Other OP option cards such as the ability to walk through walls (sorry I don't remember the name right now) require 1 energy to use. Again my opinion. play how you want.

Couldn't agree more, including the (roughly) 22 years of playing RoboRally. I trust the game designer's intent for the rules much more than the typo-ridden, sub-par componented, half-assed version Avalon Hill hastily assembled and put on store shelves. **That being said, I do like how much faster the new version plays over the old Wizards of the Coast editions**

And you are spot-on about the new version of Crab Legs. The game where it came out, the player who nabbed it was the run-away winner due entirely to that card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I recently got the game and have played a couple of times (and love it). I agree with others that the "new" rules as-is are worth a shot first, especially if you're new to Robo Rally overall. Some other people's issues may boil down to their group's history, abilities, and play style and you may not have the same issues at all.

My only real issue so far* is that the option market slows down the game a bit with many new players. Last night we had 6 players so 6 cards in the option market. It took a little while for everyone to understand what was available to them. Still, I think I prefer the idea of the flexibility in the market versus having your own personal "hand" of potential options, so I'm hoping that more plays will lend familiarity and speed up the upgrade phase. This also was less of an issue as the game went on and people didn't have enough energy to buy many/any of the options.

* determining priority quickly is an issue for some people. I highly recommend this post showing how to use 45-degree angles to eliminate counting. I've used this in both games I've played and seriously, absolutely zero counting squares.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
i played 2 games with the hasbro rules, and my only thought so far is that crab legs feels broken and should be toned down..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Steeves
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
I do not know what is wrong with the option market.

When playing with new players who do not know the options, time is spent each round where they have to learn what the options are. It's a drag.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ricks03 wrote:
ringo84 wrote:
I do not know what is wrong with the option market.

When playing with new players who do not know the options, time is spent each round where they have to learn what the options are. It's a drag.


It also creates a lot more checking what the turn order is just to see who buys in what order. since there are a lot of turns in robo rally these two factors can really slow the game down and take away from the good part (watching robots crash).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
ricks03 wrote:
ringo84 wrote:
I do not know what is wrong with the option market.

When playing with new players who do not know the options, time is spent each round where they have to learn what the options are. It's a drag.

This is true, but I still see the value in having more options to choose from. Maybe I'll try the "hand" variant, with the drafting idea and bump the starting hand size to five cards. Also wonder if buying a random option off the deck to add to your hand is overpriced at 2 energy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
sancmat wrote:
Ohhh and as far as crab legs goes. As compared to the other option cards that do not require energy to use it is OP. There is no limitation to its use and it allows you to turn a move 1 into a two move ones and 2 rotates. With efficient use of that card (more than any other I've seen) you can rip through a board. Other OP option cards such as the ability to walk through walls (sorry I don't remember the name right now) require 1 energy to use. Again my opinion. play how you want.

Couldn't agree more. It's way too OP to leave in the game unchanged. I haven't had this version of the game long, but (like previous versions) much of the challenge in the board designs is built around a presumption that players will be moving in straight lines. "Crab Legs" wildly subverts that, letting a player make moves in a single register that would otherwise take a full turn. And it massively expands the move options available to you, too. In the few games I've played, I've had it twice; both times I got it early in the game, and both times I found myself using it over and over again, to the annoyance and significant detriment of my opponents. A "1 energy to use" house rule seems likely (whether it's then over-priced, compared to other cards that have a similar requirement, is another question).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
kirkroberts wrote:
ricks03 wrote:
ringo84 wrote:
I do not know what is wrong with the option market.

When playing with new players who do not know the options, time is spent each round where they have to learn what the options are. It's a drag.

This is true, but I still see the value in having more options to choose from. Maybe I'll try the "hand" variant, with the drafting idea and bump the starting hand size to five cards. Also wonder if buying a random option off the deck to add to your hand is overpriced at 2 energy.

Played last night with the three-card hand (drafted) instead of the market. Game play is definitely smoothed out and sped up overall. I haven't noticed this talked about elsewhere, but we still did the Options Phase and each player could only buy one option out of their hand per round. We didn't talk about it, but it makes sense to me that adding a card off the deck for 2 energy would be in place of buying a card from your hand. Once per round only.

No one except me paid 2 energy to get a new card off the deck, and that was probably only because I got the "three free energy" option. This leads me to think that 2 energy really is too much for an additional card-in-hand. Might be better if it was only 1 energy. I'm actually wondering about having each player draw a new card anytime they buy an option out of their hand (so each player always has at least three cards in hand). Keep in mind I've only played short games, and in a longer game this might not make sense.

All that said, if playing with people that know the option cards well I might opt to go back to the market.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.