Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Norad Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Thomson Bill Thomson
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
I have this optional card in my hand in a vassal game. (it is not in my 1986 game so I not familiar with it). I am the US player and control Canada. Card says:

If the US controls Canada, the US may add 1 Influence to any country already containing US Influence at the conclusion of any Action Round in which the DEFCON marker moves to the '2' box. This event is cancelled by #42 Quagmire.

If I forsee Defcon may move to 2, and I play this card in advance? when it goes to 2, do I get 1 influence in every or any one country where I have influence, is this one round, or every round which defcon moved to 2 again? or is at 2?, every time it moves back to 2? until Quagmire cancels. I hate to ask my opponent in advance for clarification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilkens
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the card is played as an event, every time the Defcon marker moves to 2, you may place 1 influence in any 1 country where you have influence. Note that this does not apply if Defcon goes to 2 during Headline (not an action round).

It stays in play until Quagmire is used as an event.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it doesn't have to be the US round. If the USSR player causes DEFCON to go from 3 to 2 in their action round, then the US player gets the benefit at the end of that round. Hence the "any".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thomson Bill Thomson
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification. Card will get played tonight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
dpbush wrote:
Also, it doesn't have to be the US round. If the USSR player causes DEFCON to go from 3 to 2 in their action round, then the US player gets the benefit at the end of that round. Hence the "any".


Isn't an 'Action Round' considered to be over after both players are done their 'action'. The rules define it as there are six action rounds and not as each player is having a round. In that case if the USSR causes the DEFCON to go to 2 than Norad doesn't fire off until the US player finishes what they're doing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JIM SMITH
United States
California
flag msg tools
The USSR and USA each have an Action Round. The rule book is slightly ambiguous at first, but the rule becomes more clear as you read it in its entirety:

D. Action Rounds: There are six Action Rounds in turns 1 to
3 and seven action rounds turns 4 to 10. Players alternate playing
cards, one per Action Round, for a total of six cards during
turns 1 to 3, and seven cards during turns 4 to 10. The USSR
player always takes his or her Action Round first, followed by
the US player. All actions required by each card must be resolved
before the next player starts his or her Action Round by playing
a card. The player taking his or her Action Round is called the
‘Phasing Player’.


Thus if the USSR player drops DEFCON to 2 during its Action Round, the USA player will get to place its NORAD influence before it starts its Action Round.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
stevekerr25 wrote:
After the card is played as an event, every time the Defcon marker moves to 2, you may place 1 influence in any 1 country where you have influence.


Bit of clarification for the edge case: If defcon moves to 2 and NORAD is in effect at end of that AR, then US gets to add the 1 influence even if NORAD was not in effect at the time that defcon moved to 2. For example, if defcon is 3 and Soviets coup a battleground with the NORAD ops, choosing to trigger the event after the ops, the US still gets to add 1 influence because NORAD was in effect at end of AR when defcon moved to 2.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelVal wrote:
stevekerr25 wrote:
After the card is played as an event, every time the Defcon marker moves to 2, you may place 1 influence in any 1 country where you have influence.


Bit of clarification for the edge case: If defcon moves to 2 and NORAD is in effect at end of that AR, then US gets to add the 1 influence even if NORAD was not in effect at the time that defcon moved to 2. For example, if defcon is 3 and Soviets coup a battleground with the NORAD ops, choosing to trigger the event after the ops, the US still gets to add 1 influence because NORAD was in effect at end of AR when defcon moved to 2.

Interesting. I had never considered this. So, for another example, say NORAD is in effect, Defcon at 3, Canada is at 3/0, USSR has no Mid War BGs. USSR plays CIA Created, and coups ME to deny US MilOps, thinking to avoid NORAD trigger. US uses the 1 OP to take Canada to 4/0. NORAD triggers?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah. It's a little misleading. I'm surprised there isn't an appendix with some definitions of terms like other GMT rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck
France
flag msg tools
Defcon is changed when the coup occurs, not at the end of the round. So I can't see why NORAD would trigger if it is activated after a coup, even if it is in the same round of the coup.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilkens
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, defcon changes when the coup occurs, but NORAD's text triggers at the "end of the action round in which defcon moved to 2," and not "whenever defcon moves to 2."

Imagine the following flow:
1. Defcon is at 3. Soviets play NORAD and resolve event later.
2. Soviets coup Iran, defcon drops to 2.
3. NORAD goes into effect.
4. It is now the end of the action round. NORAD is in play and we check its condition. The ability triggers because it's the end of an action round in which defcon moved to 2.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
MichaelVal wrote:
stevekerr25 wrote:
After the card is played as an event, every time the Defcon marker moves to 2, you may place 1 influence in any 1 country where you have influence.


Bit of clarification for the edge case: If defcon moves to 2 and NORAD is in effect at end of that AR, then US gets to add the 1 influence even if NORAD was not in effect at the time that defcon moved to 2. For example, if defcon is 3 and Soviets coup a battleground with the NORAD ops, choosing to trigger the event after the ops, the US still gets to add 1 influence because NORAD was in effect at end of AR when defcon moved to 2.

Interesting. I had never considered this. So, for another example, say NORAD is in effect, Defcon at 3, Canada is at 3/0, USSR has no Mid War BGs. USSR plays CIA Created, and coups ME to deny US MilOps, thinking to avoid NORAD trigger. US uses the 1 OP to take Canada to 4/0. NORAD triggers?


Yes NORAD triggers, because at the end of the phasing player's action round DEFCON was changed to 2 and Canada is Controlled by the US.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.