Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you sell nothing and take the starting player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that you have to sell something to get the benefits (Finally, the player who sells goods), including the starting player card.

As with other parts of the English rules translation, the German rules state that whenever you sell goods, you receive the starting player card. This includes when you place and use the Warehouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took it to mean taking the sell action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
As with other parts of the English rules translation, the German rules state that whenever you sell goods, you receive the starting player card. This includes when you place and use the Warehouse.

In fact, I believe that this "whenever you sell" clause exists principally to call out the Warehouse case.

I'll note that the initial English text says, "the player who sells goods receives the starting player card."

In contrast, the German text says, "erhält der Spieler die Startspielerkarte."

Thus, the German refer only to "the player" - meaning the player who selected Action 3 (sell goods).

This suggests that the intent may be to allow a player to claim the starting player card by consuming an entire turn by choosing Action 3 to no other benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
This suggests that the intent may be to allow a player to claim the starting player card by consuming an entire turn by choosing Action 3 to no other benefit.

I would be fine with this. Reading the German rules for the warehouse though it says
German rules wrote:
(Hinweis: Besitzt der Spieler zu diesem Zeitpunkt keine
einzige Ware, hat er Pech gehabt!)

Note: If the player doesn't have any goods, too bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
[q="gillum"]This suggests that the intent may be to allow a player to claim the starting player card by consuming an entire turn by choosing Action 3 to no other benefit.

I would be fine with this. Reading the German rules for the warehouse though it says
German rules](Hinweis: Besitzt der Spieler zu diesem Zeitpunkt keine
einzige Ware, hat er Pech gehabt!) [/q wrote:

Note: If the player doesn't have any goods, too bad!

Wouldn't that simply mean that by placing the warehouse they just wouldn't be able to sell good if they don't have goods to sell? I wouldn't take it to mean anything more.

Our game last night ended with me using silver to take a final action along with my last action, which i used for a sell action to steal the starting player card. Before taking into consideration the point you get for the starting card, we ended up with a tie. So, whether my move was legal enough will determine who won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Wouldn't that simply mean that by placing the warehouse they just wouldn't be able to sell good if they don't have goods to sell? I wouldn't take it to mean anything more.

I guess it comes down to that the rules are unclear about this.

As the card game is not a super heavy strategy game where you have to plan for everything, I will play that you can take the action "sell goods" to get the starting player card. However, to gain it with the warehouse, I'll play that you have to sell to gain it (if that makes sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

I guess it comes down to that the rules are unclear about this.

As the card game is not a super heavy strategy game where you have to plan for everything, I will play that you can take the action "sell goods" to get the starting player card. However, to gain it with the warehouse, I'll play that you have to sell to gain it (if that makes sense).

Been awhile since I read the rulebook, but I thought when talking about the warehouse, it said to see the sell action. So I would think whichever rule you go with, would be the same for both.

But that's just my 2cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
Been awhile since I read the rulebook, but I thought when talking about the warehouse, it said to see the sell action. So I would think whichever rule you go with, would be the same for both.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Hmm, maybe this bit helps? The text for action 3 says "The die number indicates the type of good that may be sold. In contrast, the other two die number dependent actions have "die number matches...".

Anyways, for a clear ruling I would like the text to read whenever you take the Sell goods action instead of selling goods to qualify for getting the starting player card.

It comes down to if your group accepts that selling 0 goods qualifies as a sale. On that part, how would you handle someone playing a card/the warehouse who doesn't want to sell goods, e.g. claiming he sells a type not in display (1 - 2 goods, but has 3 - 4 or 5 - 6 goods)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
belial1134 wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense.

Hmm, maybe this bit helps? The text for action 3 says "The die number indicates the type of good that may be sold. In contrast, the other two die number dependent actions have "die number matches...".

Anyways, for a clear ruling I would like the text to read whenever you take the Sell goods action instead of selling goods to qualify for getting the starting player card.

It comes down to if your group accepts that selling 0 goods qualifies as a sale. On that part, how would you handle someone playing a card/the warehouse who doesn't want to sell goods, e.g. claiming he sells a type not in display (1 - 2 goods, but has 3 - 4 or 5 - 6 goods)?

I agree there's a grey area but here's my take

Let's say I have 3 games for sale and 0 sold, I didn't actually make any sales. Therefore, I say if you sell 0 goods, then it's not a sale and you would not gain any of the benefits that comes with selling.

I read the 'may be sold' part as you may sell those goods (the one matching the die number) because you may also use that die number for other actions - not necessarily as in it's an optional sale.

But again that's just my take it on. Maybe that is correct, maybe not, but it's the way we've played it to keep things simple and consistent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted my question to Ravensburger. If they reply, I will update it here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had also written to Alea, and I heard back from Stefan Brück, the production manager there.

Here are the questions that I asked, along with his answers:

>>> Suppose that a player selects Action 3: "Sell goods" but has no good of
>>> the type determined by the die number on the discarded action card.
>>>
>>> Does the player received the start player card?
[SB] No! He does not sell anything so that move is actually not possible/allowed.

>>> Similarly, suppose a player builds a Warehouse and has no goods at all.
>>> Does the player received the start player card?
[SB] no. No selling, no progress (on the imaginary ship track ... ;o)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.