Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Local Color 2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Not sure when I'll get to work on this, but I know there's a great deal of interest, so I figured I'd start a thread for discussion.

The original Local Color was created not long after the release of the initial game, so it does not include content from Pirates & Bounty Hunters, the two Rim Expansions, or Crime & Punishment. The deck is 40 cards, each with two options - you may PLAY the card immediately for your own benefit, or you may KEEP the card to play at a later time, against an opponent.

I envision 2.0 being very similar, but larger (probably 60 cards). Many of the current cards will be carried over either as-is, or in a very similar format, potentially updated for new mechanics. For example, a number of the original cards include Wanted Rolls or Warrants. Some of those might become Alert tokens, or the crew becoming Wanted.

In playing with the deck, it's become apparent that there are at least two problems:

1) When can cards be played against other players (especially if they state "at any time")? (As a related question - what happens if a player's intended action is outright negated?)

2) In games with a large number of players, the accumulation of cards can become brutal as multiple cards are played against a single player.

I'm thinking - and would love feedback, especially from players who've played with the original LC - that you can still hold up to 3 "saved" cards, but:

1) Only one card can be played during a single Action. If multiple players want to play against a single player, it defaults to "player to the right" gets dibs, then goes around the table.

Alternately, maybe only one card can be played per turn?

2) Cards are typically played at the beginning of an Action (unless otherwise indicate, because some are very specific "interrupts").

3) If a player has their specific Action negated, the negation goes into effect before the action starts, so the player may re-use the other action. For example, if I try to deliver for a Job as a Work Action and another player negates the delivery, I don't expend the action and could decide to, say, Make-Work.

Other than some tweaks around the PvP aspect, the main objective will be to bring the cards in line with the game as it exists today.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:


1) When can cards be played against other players (especially if they state "at any time")? (As a related question - what happens if a player's intended action is outright negated?)



The way my group plays it is this:

Some cards are straight up interrupts, but if the trigger to play the Local Colour card is that a rival initiates (attempts to carry out) an action (Postmaster - A rival tries to load Passengers or Fugitives when dealing with Amon Duul) then they have started an action.

The Local Colour result is that they cannot load passengers or fugitives and so they cannot complete that work action, essentially losing that action for that turn.

Another example - Temporary Landlock - a rival tries to take a fly action - The rival cannot take a fly action.

One of the players actions is to take a fly action, which is then impacted by a card, (just like a nav card one sector out) and so the action fails.

gwek wrote:


2) In games with a large number of players, the accumulation of cards can become brutal as multiple cards are played against a single player.



Which is why we don't play the keep option, if we play the LC cards at all.

This game throws enough obstacles in our way by itself without us helping it along.

gwek wrote:


I'm thinking - and would love feedback, especially from players who've played with the original LC - that you can still hold up to 3 "saved" cards, but:

1) Only one card can be played during a single Action. If multiple players want to play against a single player, it defaults to "player to the right" gets dibs, then goes around the table.

Alternately, maybe only one card can be played per turn?


The second option, except I'd add "only one card can be played against a rival player per turn. Player on the right gets first option to play. If that option is declined, it passes around the table" or words to that effect.

When multiple opponents are gunning for you, one turn of being Local Colourised can result in crew/parts and cargo disappeared and you're left with active jobs that you spend the rest of the game trying to gear up to complete. When that happens to everyone around the table (which it does), no-one is happy and the game length is really extended.

gwek wrote:


2) Cards are typically played at the beginning of an Action (unless otherwise indicate, because some are very specific "interrupts").


3) If a player has their specific Action negated, the negation goes into effect before the action starts, so the player may re-use the other action. For example, if I try to deliver for a Job as a Work Action and another player negates the delivery, I don't expend the action and could decide to, say, Make-Work.



Option 3 is a better option.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bowlwoman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking about making a supplemental "Hard Work" deck, but maybe some of these ideas could work for a LC 2.0. The Local Color 1.0 deck is fun, but we don't play a lot of PvP and it would be nice to have the option to make some extra $$$ when the jobs are lean.

Basically, if you're on a planetary sector, you can do the normal Make Work action and get $200, or you can draw a Hard Work card with a higher risk/reward option. You have to pass skill tests or do some other mechanic (maybe use some of your goods during the job), but you get paid more than just the $200. Or maybe you get a small side job ferrying cargo and passengers to another planet in the same solar system. Things that give you some extra oomph, but not so much mess with the other players.

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
That concept was one of the elements at the heart of LOCAL COLOR, definitely.

When I re-do, perhaps most of the cards will have:

OPTION ONE: PLAY NOW

a. Some conditional thing that could be better than Make-Work, often with a requirement.

b. Some other opportunity.

OPTION TWO: KEEP

Something to play against the other players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Malbrough
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Just got my deck, and it looks great! Thanks for doing this, I'll post feedback after my next game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Enjoy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.