Subject: Chicago loot - based on facedown card or last card placed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oren Bernstein
msg tools
mb
Hi,

Is the loot from Chicago:

Option A. half of the sum of the facedown cards to its left (i.e. half of the total loot awarded to the players who control the cities to its left)

or

Option B. half of the sum of the last face-up cards placed on each city to its left

?

Based on my reading of the rules, I was 100% certain that it was Option A. However, the website boardgamearena.com uses Option B.

Option B is confusing and less thematic IMO. After it was explained to me on the website, my initial reaction was to want to go back to Option A. However, maybe I'm missing some cool strategic possibilities here?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Option B: All the online videos explain the rules this way. The most recent Blue Orange edition states "Whoever controls Chicago at the end of the round ... scores half the total value of each of the last cards played at all of the cities to the left of Chicago’s current position."

I'm not sure what's to be gained by using the city reward cards instead. Seems to make Chicago less strategic and a bigger gamble until the last rounds. By using the last cards played at least you have some control over the possible reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played on boardgamearena.com, so option B seems right to me.

It allows the players to have some control over how much Chicago is worth. Thematically, maybe think of it as all the gangsters stash some of their loot in Chicago. Depending on who is controlling Chicago, they might choose to stash more or less loot there. Okay, that's pretty weak, but just an idea. I think it is just a game mechanic that lets players have control over the value of Chicago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john newman
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The prior responses are correct: option B.

This adds an extra layer of strategy. If you aren't going for Chicago, get your high cards out early (but this has the draw back of letting people know the other cites aren't worth very much. That could intensify the bidding for Chicago. If you play your zeros & hospitals early, that could heat up the bidding for Chicago and the cities on the left. That could be a great strategy if you are going for cities to the right of a Chicago.

Saying all that to say this: It adds another element of which cards to play when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.