Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Playing with 4 Players on a 5 Player Map, or even 6 or 8 Player Map ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Peikert
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

did anyone of you guys already tried to play on bigger maps as recommended and how were those games ?

In our last game were we played with 4 player we had the "problem" that cthulhu and yellow sign were on the 3 player map map with windwalkers while the tcho tchos "hided" on the 5 player map ... And that faction had much more room to grow ...

So, anyone had similiar problems and how did you solve it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're asking. Are you talking about playing 4-player games on a 5 or 6-8 player map configuration?

If so:
I don't think that's ever been recommended, for the reasons you state: it becomes easier to turtle, and harder to attack. At the risk of stating the obvious, the solution is to use the right-sized map.

But then you mention a 3-player map and a 5-player map, which makes me think you're talking about using the 3-player side for one hemisphere and the 5-player side for the other, which is in fact a valid 4-player configuration.

If that's the case, and you're asking about how to stop the other factions from taking advantage of the extra space:
Don't let them. Cthulhu starts out only 2 spaces from most of those areas, so if he moves to either the North Pacific or the South Atlantic during the 1st turn and builds a gate, he should be adjacent to their territory. That's not to mention his Submerge spellbook, which can be used to carry his army across the entire map, or his Dreams spellbook, which is excellent at punishing other factions for over-extending.

You could also try flipping the map. That is to say, have Cthulhu's side be 5-player, and the other side 3-player. That is also a valid 4-player configuration, and the rulebook generally recommends you pick whichever half has (or might have) more starting factions as the 5-player side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Peikert
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey Adam, thats a goods idea.
i didnt read that passage where it was told me by the rule book to use in a 4 player game that side which has more factions on it.

yeah, that can maybe be a good idea ...

Thanks a lot for it. Appreciate it. Thank you and good night

will test it tomorrow when we play another 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! Let us know how it goes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a question along these lines.

Since the Library map has some pretty tiny areas, with 5 players, can you use a 3 player lower level and a 6 player upper level? The size of the areas would all increase, while theoretically keeping the right amount of areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.