Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fast, light, soloable, squad-based tactical dungeon crawl? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dungeon crawlers I have at the moment are Clank! and Death Angel.

I have something in mind, but don't know if it exists. Genre is less important than availability.

Basically, I would like to be able to take 4 characters through a dungeon and have them watch each other's backs. However, I don't want it to drag out.

I'm guessing something like Zombicide would be okay, but if there is anything smaller, lighter, and faster that would be even better.

I don't know if this is an unreasonable request, but thanks either way!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chance
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients or Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the title my first thought was Death Angel, but you already have it.

Though I have not played it myself, I have read that Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game has a lot of similarities with Death Angel.

Also, though it is not technically a dungeon crawl, Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin has a dungeon crawling feeling combined with deckbuilding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not available yet but Dungeon Alliance might be what you are looking for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUR13L wrote:
The dungeon crawlers I have at the moment are Clank! and Death Angel.

I have something in mind, but don't know if it exists. Genre is less important than availability.

Basically, I would like to be able to take 4 characters through a dungeon and have them watch each other's backs. However, I don't want it to drag out.

I'm guessing something like Zombicide would be okay, but if there is anything smaller, lighter, and faster that would be even better.

I don't know if this is an unreasonable request, but thanks either way!


Step 1 : Check out Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia
Step 2 : Get your mind blown
Step 3 : Thank me later
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Moore
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Mice and Mystics
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireteam Zero

Fits the description you gave. Don't try to kill all the baddies - they are constantly spawning. Check your goal and go for it. Use the abilities of the soldiers to support each other. Watch the cannon - fodder specialists since they can't survive without you and use their abilities for the best of the mission.

thumbsup
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
odinMithrandir wrote:
ZUR13L wrote:
The dungeon crawlers I have at the moment are Clank! and Death Angel.

I have something in mind, but don't know if it exists. Genre is less important than availability.

Basically, I would like to be able to take 4 characters through a dungeon and have them watch each other's backs. However, I don't want it to drag out.

I'm guessing something like Zombicide would be okay, but if there is anything smaller, lighter, and faster that would be even better.

I don't know if this is an unreasonable request, but thanks either way!


Step 1 : Check out Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia
Step 2 : Get your mind blown
Step 3 : Thank me later


+1 for Masmorra.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUR13L wrote:
Basically, I would like to be able to take 4 characters through a dungeon and have them watch each other's backs. However, I don't want it to drag out.
I think that describes the D&D Adventure System games pretty well.
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game is the first and most difficult one.
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game is the latest and supports campaign play.
Dungeons & Dragons: Tomb of Annihilation Board Game will be released later this year.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
odinMithrandir wrote:
ZUR13L wrote:
The dungeon crawlers I have at the moment are Clank! and Death Angel.

I have something in mind, but don't know if it exists. Genre is less important than availability.

Basically, I would like to be able to take 4 characters through a dungeon and have them watch each other's backs. However, I don't want it to drag out.

I'm guessing something like Zombicide would be okay, but if there is anything smaller, lighter, and faster that would be even better.

I don't know if this is an unreasonable request, but thanks either way!


Step 1 : Check out Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia
Step 2 : Get your mind blown
Step 3 : Thank me later


+1 for Masmorra.


Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!

I haven't pulled the trigger yet...

How does solo / co-op Masmorra compare to pvp? I've heard it may be the game's saving grace?

Thanks and keep 'em coming!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUR13L wrote:
Esvath wrote:
odinMithrandir wrote:
ZUR13L wrote:
The dungeon crawlers I have at the moment are Clank! and Death Angel.

I have something in mind, but don't know if it exists. Genre is less important than availability.

Basically, I would like to be able to take 4 characters through a dungeon and have them watch each other's backs. However, I don't want it to drag out.

I'm guessing something like Zombicide would be okay, but if there is anything smaller, lighter, and faster that would be even better.

I don't know if this is an unreasonable request, but thanks either way!


Step 1 : Check out Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia
Step 2 : Get your mind blown
Step 3 : Thank me later


+1 for Masmorra.


Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!

I haven't pulled the trigger yet...

How does solo / co-op Masmorra compare to pvp? I've heard it may be the game's saving grace?

Thanks and keep 'em coming!


From my personal experience, (and i've only played it 3 times so far: Twice as 2p and once as a 3p)
I'd highly recommend playing Masmorra in the co-op mode with higher player count - even 3+ players. And would even slowly give a disapproving nod to playing PvP at higher player counts.

Likewise and vice-versa, if you are only 2 players, PvP is a blast. We had a really amazing experience every time we played it.

Let us know what you think!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D00MSTALKER wrote:


+1
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Four Against Darkness

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaller and Lighter and tactical- Mice and Mystics, Masmorra
Medium and roughly the same size as Zcide and tactical - Galaxy Defenders




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 for Masmorra so far. Interesting...

I do want to check out AQ at some point, so even if Masmorra didn't work out, it wouldn't be a total loss...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masmorra is fun and fast, and as the characters level up and you get more options, it becomes more tactical too... My wife likes this game a lot.

The main negative that I have with it are low tile variation and no real treasures. Treasures are one time use items, and coins are more like MP or stamina used on skills. Still in the end these gripes don't ruin the game, it's very fun to play. (I own the KS version, lots of monster dice came with it, If you enjoy it, I recommend getting the monster dice expansion.)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kanter
msg tools
The D&D board games are good dungeon crawls with great miniatures. Each box has five heroes with varying classes: a cleric, a fighter, etc. I usually play with 2 characters, usually one of them being a healer.

Since it's based on Dungeons & Dragons you get classic monsters and playable classes, lots of treasures, and plenty of random traps and random events that fit the theme of a dungeon crawl.

Each game has a bunch of scenarios, or adventures thats fit within the setting of that game. They are all thematic and fun. Gameplay can get tense as well, since you're not only having to deal with monsters but traps and events happening within the dungeon as well. I haven't played Zombicide but it will be a bit like Death Agnel where you progress through a dungeon, fighting monsters along the way, having to survive to complete a quest, usually involving fighting a bigger monster at the end.

For squad-based dungeon crawl that suits solitaire play, I don't know anything that will be much lighter. Any dungeon crawl will have some complexity, and with multiple characters it won't be a "quick game." But you will get that dungeon crawl feel to it.

Another option is LCGs (Living Card Games) like Lord of the Rings Card Game or Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Not so much dungeons, but deck building and adventures in those fantasy worlds.

Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


for a Cyberpunk theme, with various characters, right now on KS for a few more days is:

Human Interface: Be a Better Human

Shadowrun: Crossfire is a deck-builder, suitable for solo play.

Marvel Legendary is a deck-builder, where solo you play as a team of several Marvel characters
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.