Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferdinand Rivera
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi first time posting here but I've exposed games like Catan, Time Stories, Eldritch Horror, Pandemic, etc for over a year now. I lost my gaming group so when I moved(military) so for now it's just me and my wife. I've concentrating on co-op games like some mentioned above. But sometimes it's only me that has the itch to play a board game so I was wondering if I can get some recommendations from you guys. Also I'm tasked to deploy in the future so is they are portable is a nice bonus. Mainly looking for games that can be played 1-X amount that way I can always play with my wife if she's up to it. So far I'm eyeing Scythe which I believe has a 1 player mode but I'm sure there has to be others. Thanks in advanced for taking the time to reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sabine Scholl
New Zealand
Porirua
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there, I found Agricola a good solo option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of such games, and an active community on BGG. Try starting with the suggestions in this post:
Newcomer's Guide to Finding Solo Games on BoardGameGeek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Crazy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
For more Board Crazy content, visit our website: https://boardcrazygames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games that I've found enjoyable by myself (or with 2 people) are: Agricola, Tiny Epic Galaxies, A Feast For Odin, Terraforming Mars, and Arkham Horror. These are only a handful - there are so much more. I agree dthurston - you should check out some of the guides here on BGG. They're really helpful and detailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Rivera
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sweet, thanks so much guys! I knew about Tiny Epic Galaxies but I forgot that it had 1 player mode, so thanks for the reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Since you don't seem to prefer to play multiple characters (as you don't consider Pandemic or Eldritch Horror solo games), besides the games other people have already listed:

Imperial Settlers: I personally am not that much of a fan of the solo mode since I think a lot of the cards are kind of wonky solo, but it is definitely highly regarded both solo and not solo, and there is no doubting the engine building is really addicting. I logged 62 solo plays before I sold the game.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game: Again, I think some of the mechanisms don't work as well solo, but others highly regard it as a thematic solo or two player experience, and the 5 characters means that you can still get good mileage despite only 3 scenarios.

Race for the Galaxy with Gathering Storm expansion. Warning: Icons are really hard to learn, but if you do invest the time to do so this is an incredibly deep tableau builder for 30 minutes. I'm up to over a thousand solo plays now.

Also you might want to ask the question again in the 1 Player Guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies in fact all the tiny epic games. Galaxy is the best though.

Scythe is fantastic solo (but is a large game)

Almost any coop can be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey W

Bonney Lake
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure solo mode on Renegade app is great.
La Granja: No Siesta a roll and write game with some depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viticulture Essential Edition
Terraforming Mars
The Gallerist

Those are the best in my collection. (Opinion only)

I'm tackling High Frontier (3rd edition) next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game
Asgard's Chosen

Both games have solo player modes and play up to 4 players. I own both but haven't played either game just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FUSE

That has a single player mode, i havent tried it out yet though as my daughter loves the game so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz D
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like deck builders, Valley of the Kings comes in a tiny box and plays 1–4. Also, Star Realms is an extremely fun and portable two-person deck builder that also has solo scenarios. The solo cards are in the "Gambit" expansion pack. (NOT "Cosmic Gambit.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned Pandemic - if you like it that is my suggestion. Yes officially it is 2 players +, but it is trivial to play solo (just play 2 players by yourself - the only think you have to take care of is not mixing their cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving Earth

+1 Terraforming Mars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mb
How about Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. Or perhaps it should be named: 'How many horrible things can happen to me in an hour and a half?'

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
New Bedford

The back of each player mat is a different captain that plays different from each other made specifically for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Mage Knight Board Game has a decent solo option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vashel wrote:
Hi first time posting here but I've exposed games like Catan, Time Stories, Eldritch Horror, Pandemic, etc for over a year now. I lost my gaming group so when I moved(military) so for now it's just me and my wife. I've concentrating on co-op games like some mentioned above. But sometimes it's only me that has the itch to play a board game so I was wondering if I can get some recommendations from you guys. Also I'm tasked to deploy in the future so is they are portable is a nice bonus. Mainly looking for games that can be played 1-X amount that way I can always play with my wife if she's up to it. So far I'm eyeing Scythe which I believe has a 1 player mode but I'm sure there has to be others. Thanks in advanced for taking the time to reply.

Maybe you can expand on what types of games you like. I'm sure there are exceptions, but there are now solo options for games in pretty much any mechanic category and theme. Without knowing what you are looking for, I'm afraid you are just going to get peppered with random suggestions, which probably isn't really going to help you.

Also, perhaps take a look at the 1PG Top 100, an annual vote of favorite solo games:

2016 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games (+)

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recomendation to consult (perhaps join) the 1 PLayer Guild.

Solo / soloable games have become increasingly popular and there is a lot of variety to choose from depending on your taste in games.

Looking at the ones I have in my collection, have solo mode out of the box, and come in a small package I would recomend: Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, Onirim (second edition), Tiny Epic Galaxies and Samurai Spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda a melancholy game, needs the expansion for proper solo play - very portable The Grizzled, expansion The Grizzled: At Your Orders! Not for everyone, so worth watching some reviews

Solid dice game D-Day Dice. Not sure if it's still in print though

Not very portable at all but very very good solo and scales well Mansions of Madness: Second Edition

Samurai Spirit Quite portable and has a similar feel to Ghost Stories (which appears to have been out of print for a long time, but would also get my recommendation)

If you liked Pandemic, I prefer Flash Point: Fire Rescue Lots of maps available for future expansion, but base game offers loads of replay value

Castle Panic with Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower has been a long time favourite of mine solo.

VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game seems to be pretty good solo and 1-X, but it is not co-op

Solo only, amazing and very portable game Friday

I own Scythe, and love the game, but rarely feel like playing it solo for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Rivera
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm very open minded so I'll give every idea a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.