United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
How'd ya do it? He's atop this winged mouth thing, and the wings make it impossible to reach much of the model. I've already figured I'd put it in the freezer to make it brittle, then pop it apart - are there any natural break points I should take advantage of? Where are the wings glued on? It's *really* hard to figure this weird model out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
How'd ya do it? He's atop this winged mouth thing, and the wings make it impossible to reach much of the model. I've already figured I'd put it in the freezer to make it brittle, then pop it apart - are there any natural break points I should take advantage of? Where are the wings glued on? It's *really* hard to figure this weird model out!

Please try the hot water version first!!! It allows you to separate the pieces without actually breaking the model. I am not sure how this freezer trick has spread so well.

The plastic has awesome shape retention, so you can tug, twist, and pry it quite vigorously to separate the glue joints. Then place the pieces back into hot water and they will go back to their original shapes. Simply take them out and let them cool after that!

That said, here is mine I painted without separating the pieces:

Wizards by Chase Norton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Seems like you'd have to speed paint while the model was pulled apart...? The freezer-snap trick has worked really well on other CW monsters, they glue back together seamlessly.

Nice paint job, btw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Seems like you'd have to speed paint while the model was pulled apart...? The freezer-snap trick has worked really well on other CW monsters, they glue back together seamlessly.

Nice paint job, btw!

No speed paint necessary! You simply take the pieces apart, put them back in hot water to correct any deformations from the deconstruction (and also shipping deformations), then take them out and let them cool.

After testing fit, you can proceed to paint the separate pieces and put glue them back together when they are all painted.

I did this with the Mi-Go and Byakhee which was a life saver. I was able to hold onto each individual piece by the glue key (little brick that fits into the main body of the figure). I did this with some alligator clips or binder clips.

I imagine holding the pieces while they are being painted would be difficult if you simply broke pieces off after freezing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote leave wings off! He looks super creepy lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nice! Were the wings particularly hard to yank off? I'm heading home tonight to try this after work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SlyMcNasty wrote:
I vote leave wings off! He looks super creepy lol.

Haha! I totally cannot tell what is going on with that model... Is the wizard sitting inside that thing's "head"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He is fused with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just to close the loop here: I froze the wiz (overnight) and when I took him out I was able to easily pry the wings off. They're attached at the shoulders of the wizard, and they popped right off with no problem (be gentle but firm, and off they come!)

Now he's all ready to paint. Once done, I'll reglue the sucker and no one will be able to tell.

Sitting him in hot water and attempting to bend the wings wouldn't have worked (I think), as they're attached at the shoulders, so you can't pull them backwards and out of the way very easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Montado
msg tools
If I understand correctly, you freeze it so the glue that was put during production breaks and the piece can be removed without breaking everything, then you would glue it back once you have painted it, in the same place the original glue was applied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
yes, it works really well. I left the wiz in the freezer overnight, and just put my fingers under the "eyes" of the wings as close to the wizards shoulders as possible (that's where the wings are glued to the body) and pulled up and back. With a little bit of gentle force, they came right off. It sometimes pulled the tab out (ie, the plastic broke), but that doesn't matter. The join is under the wings, and once you've painted it (don't paint the plastic where you'll reglue them, that way they will fit perfectly) you won't see the break points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.