Dan Romano
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys wasn't sure where to put this so I figured general was the best. I'm the Imperial and my group after weeks of playing final got to the last mission of the campaign. In preparation, I took some time to look over what's going on and honestly, I'm a little weary on how to read this mission to the rebels and also how to play it out. Let me note; I've played a lot of IA and have DM all of it since I own it. But I wanted to get some opinions about this mission because I'm afraid that too much information might make this mission go by too quickly. Reason is, since it's the last mission, the rebels hit like trucks.

- In the mission briefing it states that the door to ge throne room will open once the regular gamoreon guards (the group) are defeated. Also they cannot be redeployed or reinforced. I understand because that how the mission will progress. But it's just seems that the stacked rebels will bull rush these weak guards and open the door. Already moving on to the next part.

- then there's where you have to negotiate with Jabba. When he's not incapacitated, it is difficult to succeed at performing an attribute test on him (negotiate with him). Although all that information on how to complete that must be read to the rebels, it just seems you just have to rush him down.

- after the rancor part, Jabba's runs behind the door, and he rebels have to exit the pit and defeat him. By that point the imperial can deploy to the back room that Jabba is in.

My concerns are that there may not be enough time between rounds to deploy units and put a fight. It seems easy for them to complete each section of this mission because of how strong they've become. Any advice on how to dictate the information in the campaign book or strategy on how to go about play this mission out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Symiant
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting my whole answer in spoiler tags, just in case!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Firstly, this missions is way more stacked against the rebels than it seems. It's the hardest of the two Jabba's end missions (at least according to the poll). Certainly having been an imperial player on this mission, when reading it I thought it would be easy for the rebels, but in the end the rebels didn't get past the Rancor.

Quote:
- In the mission briefing it states that the door to ge throne room will open once the regular gamoreon guards (the group) are defeated. Also they cannot be redeployed or reinforced. I understand because that how the mission will progress. But it's just seems that the stacked rebels will bull rush these weak guards and open the door. Already moving on to the next part.

Well yes, but not exactly. The guards are actually deployed in slightly awkward places. The key to this part is making it hard to kill the guards by seperating them, hiding them round corners, or hiding them behind other units. What you can and can't do will depend a lot on the specific group and your imperial class, but basically just stall for threat here. You might even want to consider not spending too much threat on units here (see later in the post). You can certainly run one of them right round the corner where the door is. If they go for the guards too much, then they AREN'T killing your starting troops, which can lay down a reasonable amount of damage

Quote:
- then there's where you have to negotiate with Jabba. When he's not incapacitated, it is difficult to succeed at performing an attribute test on him (negotiate with him). Although all that information on how to complete that must be read to the rebels, it just seems you just have to rush him down.

Well yes sort of. But they still have to succeed on the attribute test, which costs an action and can be difficult. And when they DO burn him down, that's when the Rancor droppings really hit the lightsaber.

Quote:
- after the rancor part, Jabba's runs behind the door, and he rebels have to exit the pit and defeat him. By that point the imperial can deploy to the back room that Jabba is in.

My concerns are that there may not be enough time between rounds to deploy units and put a fight. It seems easy for them to complete each section of this mission because of how strong they've become. Any advice on how to dictate the information in the campaign book or strategy on how to go about play this mission out?

I'm going to skip advice about the last part of the mission, because the critical part of the mission for the imperial is what happens when they get into the rancor pit.

Firstly, if they burn Jabba down mid or late round, they're pretty much screwed. The rancor hits like a truck, AND you get some extra units down there to pound on the person that dealt with Jabba. Even if they wait till the beginning of the round to negotiate, then they've probably either wasted time, or at the least used up some activations. So you get a round when they don't have all their actions to deal with the Rancor.

Secondly, what you really want to do is to save up your threat for when they get down the rancor pit. Obviously don't waste any by sitting on 20 without spending it, but if they ignore all the units and burn Jabba down, and you then spend 20 threat they are in real trouble. Remember, whilst the Rancor still lives, they can't get out of the pit. So they have to chose between jumping down the pit to deal with the Rancor, or staying up top with your army of troops. And the rancor is HARD to kill. Make sure you eat units with the rancor basically every turn, probably starting with the guy that is in the pit with him giving him movement points (in the book it says he is neutral, but it's been erratered to be imperial - short story is you can eat him for an 8 point heal). Also, if they DO all jump down the pit, your troops up top can jump down and land ANYWHERE in the pit. Make sure you've got some Royal Guards here, as they can jump down and stun someone, which they REALLY don't want with the rancor around.

Another thing to remember is that Jabba can make the rancor attack an extra time in the round, and that attack will be focused(an ability which also heals the rancor). So don't underestimate how long it can take them to deal with the rancor, and how much damage that rancor can dish out. Hopefully you've got some agenda cards saved up - if you've got personal shield generators or anything that heals save them for the rancor. If you have anything that stuns or boosts your troops, again save that for the rancor so that you put maximum pressure on at this point in the mission.

Earlier than the rancor pit, you proably want to try and focus on wounding their support/lower health characters unless there's a reason not to. They will HAVE to put their high damage characters in the Rancor pit, so you should find it easy to wound at least one or probably even two of them.

Finally, what's your Imperial Class? You really want to think about how your Imperial Class will interact with the mission. I had Nemeses, so I spawned a Grand Inquisitor and Greedo early on to get in a bit more damage. If I did it again, I'd save them for the Rancor pit though. I also had an agenda card that stunned, and personal shield generators and the healing one that really made the Rancor stick around.

Ultimately, don't worry - it's harder for the rebels than it appears and there are a lot of points where they might end up wasting time. Even if the Rancor hadn't killed my group, they would have run out of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Romano
msg tools
mbmbmb
My class deck is Nemeses, with agent Blaise and Boba. I have high priority target, personal shield generator, a dark power and as you wish. thank you for your response really cleared up and opened up some real solid options
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Symiant
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reply in spoiler tags again!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I found Nemeses really good for that mission. Powerful Forces and I'm on the Leader is a must, those two really are the key to burning down your rebels.

I'd save your villains until they are either in, or close to, the pit. Personally, I'd say not to bother with As You Wish on the missions, he's just too expensive compared to what else you can have. (Although that partly depends on whether you have Leave Them To Me - though even if you do have that, personally I'd use Leave Them to Me to get Boba cheap, and your natural threat discount from Powerful Foes to get Blaise out). On the other hand, the combo of A Dark Power and High Value Target is going to be insane - just make sure that you have the space to actually gain that threat when you think it's going to happen. Don't be afraid to spend a little threat to delay them before the door, but if you're lucky you'll be able to have around 18 threat when they get in to the pit, in which case they're probably in trouble. On the other hand, don't be afraid to put on a bit of pressure before the door if they seem to be leaving troops alive, as you don't want to let them have space to rest. (Mind you, the damage you'll be able to put out once the pit opens is pretty insane - you get to use Jabba, but he's hidden behind a door!)

Oh yeah, Prepare the Ambush is super useful on this mission - it means that once you've eaten the guy that gives the Rancor extra movement, you either get to move him around a lot, or else can make sure that one of the other troops can move close enough to him to be eaten. And like I said before, save Shield Generators for when they are hitting the Rancor.

Probably a bit late, but I wrote a guide to Nemeses that can be found here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25980267#25980267

Let me know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Romano
msg tools
mbmbmb
Will do and thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.