Hide
5 Posts

DOOM: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game ground to a halt over cover rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Danger
msg tools
Cover rules state that the defender has cover if any of the lines drawn from the attacker's designated corner to the defender's corner crosses through a wall. What if one of the lines runs parallel along the wall? See the diagram below.

++|+A
D++++

Figures are definitely not adjacent in case the diagram looks that way to you. A for attacker D for Defender.

You can also simulate this scenario by going to E1M1 Knee Deep in the Dead. Place an attacker on tile 09a at the North arm of the cross (where it connects with 10a hallway) against the right wall. Defender is immediately to the left of the inactive blue portal on tile 09a (placing the defender on the same tile as the chaingun, not on tile 09a itself).

Pick either of the bottom corners for the attacker. Two lines drawn to the bottom corners of the defender clearly do not provide cover. They pass through empty squares marked "+"

Now draw a line from that same bottom corner of the attacker to the top corners of the defender. The lines run along the wall (designated by underlined crosses and vertical hashmark) but do not cross through a wall. This would be a thick black line on the game board.

Does the defender have cover provided by the wall? I argue no. The defender is out in the open. Line determining cover does not pass through the wall, and rules specifically state the line must pass through for the defender to benefit from cover.

My friends argue that the line passing along the wall counts as passing through, so the defender has cover.

This comes up so much and just plain sucks. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaweĊ‚ Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_______
A+++++D

If going along a wall would provide cover in above situation i believe defender would be covered Which has no sense. Rules state it clearly - "through a wall". Not along a wall. Not touching the wall. I would go for D has no cover in your situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blurpy RABID
United States
flag msg tools
mb
misioooo wrote:
_______
A+++++D

If going along a wall would provide cover in above situation i believe defender would be covered Which has no sense. Rules state it clearly - "through a wall". Not along a wall. Not touching the wall. I would go for D has no cover in your situation.

I concur. The lines drawn from the attacker's desinated LoS corner to the defender's upper corners in your diagram are parallel to the wall; they do not pass through the wall. In this particular scenario, it'd be equivelant to the attacker leaning out enough around the corner to take his shot at the defender. The defender has no cover from this "peekaboo" attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Danger
msg tools
Awesome. The rules made a point of boldfacing the part about going through a wall, and I just really didn't see how the lines from the designated LoS corner crossed through a wall. Parallel, yes, but not crossing through. And intuitively, it just did not make sense that someone who is effectively standing out in the open would have cover. The defender has been outmaneuvered by the attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chapman
msg tools
Yeah, D definitely isn't in cover there. I think of it like 'peeking' out from a corner. Imagine A is in an actual corridor, behind a corner, and D there is clearly in the open of the corridor. A 'peeks' around and D has no defence at all, but you cannot say the same when A & D are reversed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.