Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The last two games I Kickstarted for alot were...

The Others
Mare Nostrum: Empires

I bought everything for both....they looked cool, but I didnt really like either game.

Im very tempted because of all the cool mini's. But is the game any good?

Wakrob
(8 hours left in Kickstarter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
South Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The inevitable risk of a Kickstarter ;-)

I assume you watched the playthrough of the game already?
There they give you a nice idea of the base gameplay and a look on how the mini's act on the board, what the powers do and how you go around the board. Along the campaign they introduced a lot of new mechanics, so they do have a challenge in balancing it out.

So for example the one vs. many variant isn't touched on in de video and that is off course a great extra to have in possible how to play the game.
But is it good? Wait and see.

Will it be a good game? Time will tell and don't forget it is also a lot of personal preferences how we perceive "a good game" or what we expect to be a good game.

Good luck with your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
If you arent sure, wait for the retail version.
I pass on that one, since I'm not sure either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having backed Rising Sun I'm just not sure both that and this would get played. I too am still sitting on the fence watching the hours tick down (currently at 6).

The base pledge seems to represent quite great value (once the exclusives are added), but all that value is no good if I simply won't get this to the table.

Sure this is different to Rising Sun, but they both fill the same game niche for me and it would involve playing one over the other when we get together to play these sorts of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander van der Drift
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Your 'problem' sounds very familiar. Some KS games look really great when you back them so you take the highest pledge with all add-ons, but when you actually play them they are just okay games. Nowadays when I'm backing a (very) expensive KS game, I've stopped buying all expansions/add-ons when backing. Or at least that's what I'm trying to do ;-) In case of Rising Sun I ended up with the expansion, neoprene mat and the metal coins, but at least I thought about it a little longer than normal... haha

In case of LoH I'm backing the Core Box pledge (82 GBP) and as add-ons I'm taking the sundrop and perhaps the atlas expansion (not sure yet). You're already getting an incredible amount of content with just the base pledge. All the expansions look really nice, but you can get them in retail when you like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it looks pretty good but not sure if it is enough different from my other dudes on a map games and the unknown on the shipping for Canada is what sealed it for me. I probably won't buy retail because there is so much i won't be getting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayo
United States
LAWRENCE
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more gameplay videos I watched, the less interesting the gameplay looked. It tries to do so much that it doesn't really integrate all the different options together (in my opinion). And these gameplay videos don't even have the extra content yet. It's really hard to pass up because of all the perceived "value," but I doubt I'd want to play this enough times to justify the money.

There are so many swingy effects and cards that all seem to surprise the players. There's a fine line between a tense strategy game and game that is tense because of powerful cards.

I'm passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I went back and forth three times in the end before deciding to just get three other, complete games that have 2 day shipping. Sticking to it this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was doubting right up to the last hour and then I dropped my day 1 pledge. The gameplay didn't really convince me in the end. Not to drop 100$+ into this game. I've backed too many CMON game and other bling bling mini games that just didn't deliver the joy in playing that was proportional to the money spent. Some of my most loved and most payed games are 50$ retail games and the only mini heavy kickstarter that makes my top 10 is Arcadia Quest. If this is a bust in the end I will not regret it. If it is a hit, almost everything will be available in retail, so I could jump in later still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any doubt that this will be at least a good and enjoyable game.

1. I played many similar games, and compare the mechanics. I know what I like and dislike about it, and what this game does better or worse than other games.

2. The preview rule book is online. Also a full print and play version of the base game is available, so everyone can test the game for free.

3. There are reviews of people who got the early review copies. When you follow some reviewer over a long period of time, you know his taste, and can trust his review.

So there are plenty of options to inform yourself about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I followed this game before the Kickstarter was released. I was blown away by the looks and the theme. Usually I'm not really into minis (I backed Barbarians for the wooden edition), however I love Greek mythology, and this game looks really epic.

When the Kickstarter was live, I was shocked by the steep price tag. The core box without terrain pack feels incomplete, so €150 for the Mythic pledge shipped. This is madness! They will probably stuff the box with €50 worth of unnecessary stretch goals to get away with it.

The video previews were indeed all about the looks and the theme, no part of the gameplay made me want to fork up €150.

For €150 I can get Kemet, Inis, and Blood Rage (without having to wait for months), which are proven, solid games with infinitely more gameplay value than LoH, even if it turns out to be a really good game.

I didn't back.

By the way, AR is based in Poland, did they list the campaign in GBP to make it look less expensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stayed in this at the 'All-In'. The minis give it a good value for sure and if the game play is solid it will be a super win. The sundrop may look cool enough to NOT paint. I like the eerie look of the shaded figures. We will see.

What will probably happen is that this game will end up with one of my children. My oldest received Blood Rage kickstarter as a gift from me so this may go to son #2 as a gift next year.

I try to give each of my children a different game in the same genre so they have variety. It works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
As a rule, I don't trust plastic-packed project on KS - too many expensive clones of Descent or shiny games that don't show anything interesting in gameplay videos. Of LoH I think that it will be a good, interesting game built on tried mechanics with some interesting twists. I don't expect revolution in boardgaming, but I believe this game will be worth its price.
Well, I'm also less bothered by shipping price (I live in Poland, so paying for shipment of games from US or Canada can a pain instead...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumoja wrote:
Well, I'm also less bothered by shipping price (I live in Poland, so paying for shipment of games from US or Canada can a pain instead...)

For those concerned about shipping, consider trying to find another five backers within day-trip driving distance, and do a group buy. No shipping, plus a discount!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.