Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've suddenly become interested in the French and Indian War and I'm looking for games and books on the subject. What do you recommend? I've already found Quebec 1759 and 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War which seem fun, but what are some others? Also looking for good books, preferably available on Amazon Kindle.

UPDATE: I went with getting Quebec 1759, 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War, Wilderness Empires,and Wilderness War and maybe next month I might get Hold the Line with the expansion. I also got Crucible of War, so thanks for all the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilderness War is a very nice game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your user name you should probably check out Empires in America (second edition). It's my favorite of the longer more (relatively) complicated States of Siege solitaire games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Given your user name you should probably check out Empires in America (second edition). It's my favorite of the longer more (relatively) complicated States of Siege solitaire games.

Hmmm... maybe. I absolutely hated Zulus on the Ramparts, so I'm a little weary on States of Siege games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Early American Tactical & Light Wargamer
badge
Roger's Rangers by Don Troiani
mbmbmbmbmb
Go here, scroll down to "linked items," then sort by rank. Then enjoy your game search!

Take a look at the Hold the Line Family while you are there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
End of Empire: 1744-1782 covers not just the French and Indian War, but also Lord Dunmore's War, the War of Jenkins Ear, King George's War and the American Revolution at an operational scale. There is lots of bang for your buck in this package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ashgrove wrote:
Go here, scroll down to "linked items," then sort by rank. Then enjoy your game search!

Take a look at the Hold the Line Family while you are there!
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For wargames, I'd look for: Wilderness War, Mohawk (though difficult to find), and End of Empire: 1744-1782--in that order. End of Empire has some interesting aspects, but the victory conditions result in a misleading representation of the war.

For books, Fred Anderson's Crucible of War is a very thorough treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Books

Montcalm and Wolfe by Francis Parkman

Braddock at the Monongahela by Paul Kopperman

Armies of the American Wars : 1753-1815 by Philip Katcher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anderson's book is exceptional for the entire war; for a focus on the Plains of Abraham, I'd recommend "Northern Armageddon: The Battle of the Plains of Abraham and the Making of the American Revolution" by D. Peter MacLeod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
Montcalm and Wolfe by Francis Parkman

Wanted to recommend this one as well. Not only because it's supposedly a very good book on the topic (couldn't form an opinion myself yet since I just started to read it) but also because it's available for amazon kindle for free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a book that covers the entire conflict, not even one that covers a particularly pivotal part of it, and one to which I may be biased as a Vermonter, but:

White Devil: A True Story of War, Savagery, and Vengeance in Colonial America, by Stephen Brumwell.

I thought it was fascinating, and a good look at the role played by irregular troops and raiders during the conflict -- particularly Roger's Rangers, who were essentially the progenitors of the modern Army Rangers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saxon 357
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't forget this Epic 1992 Movie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the aforementioned 'Crucible of War' by Fred Anderson is the best book, if only because he also describes many foundations and causes of the American Revolution. He gives the impression that future events are a logical succession.

That said, I would also recommend 'The French and Indian War: Deciding the Fate of North America' by Walter Borneman

edit> Oh yeah, a giant +1 on that version of 'The Last of the Mohicans' movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not averse to fiction, take a gander at Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts, set during the French and Indian War. Was made into a movie, starring Spencer Tracy, that only covered the first half of the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rose
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll possibly be accused of heresy but you may be interested in trying Paradox Games Birth of America 2 - its a PC game but simply put is very board game like. Covers early French & Indian Wars (from 1630's onwards if I recall) plus War of American Independence, with lots of smaller scenarios thrown in.
As for books on Kindle, I'd narrowed my search down to French & Indian Wars by Francis Russell or The French & Indian War by Henry Roberts - you can download samples of both & see which fits.
Its a good conflict!
Regards
Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good book on the British military experience in North American in the mid-1700s.

This book is good for coverage of irregular warfare of the period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not out yet, but on GMTs p500:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-598-bayonets-tomahawks.aspx

Bayonets & Tomahawks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YosT wrote:

This is my favorite. It does a great job of capturing the asymmetry of the conflict.

I also like Quebec 1759 and Mohawk, but if I could only own one F&IW game, it would be Wilderness War.'

As for reading, I recommend Montcalm & Wolfe (Parkman), Crucible of War (Anderson), and Wilderness Empire (Eckert). The last book describes events on the frontier, which I found fascinating for its real historical characters, its explanation of the the politics (including inter-tribal), its depiction of the savagery, and insight into the impact of the war on the lives of civilians in the affected colonies and New France. I was particularly appreciative of Eckert's research and narrative of the major role that Sir William Johnson played in bringing the Six Nations (Iroquois Confederacy) into the war on the side of the British, when the more western members -- particularly the Senecas -- were leaning toward the French, especially early in the war.

Wilderness Empire
is also the first (chronologically) of Eckert's excellent series on frontier warfare in America before the American Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Wallace's A Few Acres of Snow is a fun and thoughtful game that I still enjoy. Just avoid threads containing the words 'Halifax' and 'Hammer' if you value your sanity and don't want to get sucked down into a vortex of "it's broken!" / "it's great!" debates ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
Martin Wallace's A Few Acres of Snow is a fun and thoughtful game that I still enjoy. Just avoid threads containing the words 'Halifax' and 'Hammer' if you value your sanity and don't want to get sucked down into a vortex of "it's broken!" / "it's great!" debates ...

I like A Few Acres of Snow, too. Wallace captured the asymmetry of the strategic situation in North America in a 2-player deck building game with a Euro feel. While it has no turn limit and no calendar reference, it appears to me that it begins around 1710-1720 and runs through 1760.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
YosT wrote:

Yeah it does look good. I think I'll pick it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught the war for over 10 years and am a huge fan of it myself (My avatar is a statue of Wolfe in the village near where my aunt/uncle live). I collect games on the topic and have:

Wilderness War
Wilderness Empires
Hold the Line: The French & Indian War
1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War
End of Empire: 1744-1782
Quebec 1759
Empires in America (second edition)

I like each for different reasons, so it depends on how deep you'd like to get into the subject matter. Wilderness War is a joy to play, but Hold the Line and 1754 are excellent lighter games. Wilderness Empires needs some house rules because the right cards can allow the British to take Louisbourg off the bat, which initially ends the game for the French. Otherwise, it is a beaut.

For books, I will echo what other have said about the Crucible of War.

For video, the best war documentary out there is The War That Made America, which I used in class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.