The War: Europe 1939-1945» Forums » Rules

Subject: Automatic Victories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Hi,

after some trials this week on scenario 7 Barbarossa it appeared necessary to validate our understanding of AV rules.
Could you please confirm or correct the following :

1. I move a stack of 12 INF and 8 ARM next to an enemy 2-8 ARM unit. I think I cannot AV it (there are no other units next to it) because the INF units must stop when entering enemy ZOC ( and the ARM unit alone is not enough to AV) correct ?

2. AVs does not cost ANY MP as long as you do not enter the hex you AV. So for example a 24 ARM stack could move next to 4 enemy ARM units (1-8), spending 2 MPS to do so, then AV all 4 of them for no MP at all, and move into only the last AVed hex for 2 MP. Then it would still have 4 MPs left to continue its mischief. Correct ?

3.for ARM/MECH/MOT/CAV units it costs 2 MPs to enter any number of ZOCs. (Entering 2 ZOCs at the same time stills costs only 2 MP)
But leaving a ZOC and entering another ZOC (possibly the same unit's ZOC) would cost 3 MPs. Correct?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Hi,

after some trials this week on scenario 7 Barbarossa it appeared necessary to validate our understanding of AV rules.
Could you please confirm or correct the following :

1. I move a stack of 12 INF and 8 ARM next to an enemy 2-8 ARM unit. I think I cannot AV it (there are no other units next to it) because the INF units must stop when entering enemy ZOC ( and the ARM unit alone is not enough to AV) correct ?

2. AVs does not cost ANY MP as long as you do not enter the hex you AV. So for example a 24 ARM stack could move next to 4 enemy ARM units (1-8), spending 2 MPS to do so, then AV all 4 of them for no MP at all, and move into only the last AVed hex for 2 MP. Then it would still have 4 MPs left to continue its mischief. Correct ?

3.for ARM/MECH/MOT/CAV units it costs 2 MPs to enter any number of ZOCs. (Entering 2 ZOCs at the same time stills costs only 2 MP)
But leaving a ZOC and entering another ZOC (possibly the same unit's ZOC) would cost 3 MPs. Correct?

Thank you

Hello, Robin - in order:

1) not exactly - you are right that it's not an AV; but the reason is that infantry can only participate in an AV when they are initially adjacent to the enemy unit being AV'd - that is, the infantry units haven't moved yet;

2) correct; I'd observe that the defender in the case you've cited was pretty careless in placing his defending units, but yes, you are correct;

3) correct.

Hope this helps,

Ernie

ps - sorry to be slow in responding to your questions - I've just moved to a new house, so all of my stuff, including my computer, had to be boxed up and moved into the new house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Hi Ernie,

Thank you again and take your time, no worries

Indeed defender was careless with that pack of 1-8 ARM, but to his defence we were not sure of the rules. This week-end's Barbarossa will be tougher!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Hi Ernie,

Thank you again and take your time, no worries

Indeed defender was careless with that pack of 1-8 ARM, but to his defence we were not sure of the rules. This week-end's Barbarossa will be tougher!

Hi Robin - Glad to help. Good luck with your game

ernie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.