Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

as a member of the local School Advisory Board in my town I am participating in the preparation of the "School Day" event for the next year - which will probably be held by end of May 2018. We had a preliminary event just this past Friday, mainly to see what the response would be and also to gauge interest from the kids, parents and the school staff.

It was on a limited scale with a 3-round competition between the 9th-grade kids (leaving the school soon), parents and teachers - teachers won, but barely! We also had multiple groups performing, consisting of children attending our school - dancing, singing, playing musical instruments etc.

So for next year I would like to start collecting ideas for outdoor activities/contests for kids/parents/teachers, that would be engaging for the onwatchers and challenging (but not THAT difficult) for the chosen participants. End of May should already be sunny and reasonably warm (but not too hot, as is end of June here), so unless rain comes surprising us, the event should be held outside in open space.

Do you folks have any recommendations from past events that you attended, or perhaps even ones you helped to organize? Do you have any links to websites detailing such contests/activities? I would appreciate any ideas!

Please note for more physically demanding ones again the 8/9th-graders would be chosen, who already come close to adult physique in their 15/16 years of age. But this would all be decided after we collect ideas etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Removal of a flattened tire on an automobile and then mount the spare tire.

2. Start a fire using primitive techniques.

3. Clean an entire White (EXPO/ DRY ERASE) board that has notes written upon it in permanent mark, such as Sharpie.
And if you happen to have some nice chalkboards, instead of white boards, just get the contestants to give those chalkboards a nice pre-school cleaning.

4. A test of counting back cash. (Check out the following for context: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1801833/lost-art-counting-b... )

5. See which group can hold a conversation the longest without anyone using a cell phone or smart device.

6. Give each group the same limited directions about making a specific sandwich, preferably Submarine style, and see which comes out the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

One that's a lot of fun is a good old-fashioned staring contest. Groups of about 15 people in a circle is good. You know what I mean; if you smile you're eliminated from the circle, until there's only one person left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.