4 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: SyFy's Friday Knights - Killjoys/Dark Matter Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I wait for my new round of printer testing to arrive, I've been thinking about some upcoming projects. This is the last one for now, and likely to be the next major project I work on after The Black Market is done.

I already have a thread with a bunch of potential cards, but I wanted to offer a quick overview of what I'm thinking. If you're interested in the original thread, check it out here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1498003/syfys-friday-kn...

My current thinking goes like this:

DARK MATTER features few, if any, strong locations, while the first two seasons of KILLJOYS have been set exclusively in The Quad. The board will be modified with the addition of a single location - The Quad.

The Quad will likely be placed on the southern edge of the board, in the stretch of Border Space between Blue Sun and Silverhold (probably at around 7- or 8-o'clock).

That will make Blue Sun seem a little less remote - which I don't love - so I may create a "bubble" of sorts around The Quad: perhaps you can't Fly into it, but only Mosey in, so if you want to visit there, it will still take a while.

Contents of the expansion will include material from the first and second seasons of both shows, but probably not the third.

The RAC (based on The Quad) will appear as a semi-contact related to Bounty Hunting. Like a regular Contact, you can be Solid with the RAC and there will be certain benefits. Unlike a standard contact, the RAC will not have its own list of Jobs, but will allow you to interact differently with Bounties.

Supplies will be spread across two Supply Decks sharing the same space (The Quad), as well as adds to existing decks. In general (although not exclusively), material from DARK MATTER will be likely to be spread across the board, while KILLJOYS material will be focused in the two supply decks.

The first deck, The Leith Bazaar, will lean toward legal and wealthy folks and expensive Gear, with a bit of a focus on Bounty Hunting. The second supply deck, Old Town (or possibly Eulogy), will be more rough and tumble, probably falling somewhere between Regina and Beamonde, with an emphasis on shady types, weapons, and possibly disposable Gear.

In theory, you'll be able to build a good, focused crew drawing from either deck, but a well-balanced crew will require hitting both.

To further differentiate The Quad, it will fall under "The Rule of the Company": The Alliance does not hold sway in The Quad. Alliance Alert tokens are ignored, The Operative cannot enter, and you may not engage in Bounty Hunting against another player unless you are Solid with the RAC. Additionally, the Black Market cannot be accessed here (the Quad has its own underground, found primarily in Old Town).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Highlord
msg tools
As someone who loves both Firefly and these two shows, i can't wait to see your deck and expansion for this....looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, let's talk about setlist a bit. There are versions of many of thee cards in the other thread, so I won't get into detail, and I also won't break down location yet.

Starting with Crew...

For DARK MATTER, of course, there will be the core crew from the Raza: One, Three, Four, Five, Six, The Android, and (for season two) Nyx. Wexler's weasels (Cain, and Tash & Vons, likely as a pair like the Grange Brothers) are also a must. This expansion will introduce Synthetic as a keyword, so Wendy will also appear. That's 10 definite.

Devon and Misaki are very likely, as is Inspector Kierkan (Is there a better Lawman among all three shows?).

Milo, Nero, Jace Corso, and maybe even Danny Bones are possibilities, although a bit more outside.

For leaders - Two, Wexler, maybe Truffault.

Then we get into characters who I'm not so sure about: Alex Rook, Calchek, and the Seers, for example, are all interesting characters, but don't seem like folks who'd spend too much time hanging around on a Firefly...

On the Killjoys side, of course there are the main characters: Johnny, D'Avin, Dutch (as a leader), Pree, Pawter, and even Alvis. I love Clara, Carleen and Fancy Lee, so they're all in.

Hills and Jelco are good Lawmen, and minor characters like Spider Dravos and Hector might offer an interesting angle to the game. Big Borna and her Salt Flats settlers might make a nice addition to Hill Folk, and some generic Scarbacks may help round out the lower tier of crew. I may also throw in a few of the really minor characters for flavor. The Behemoth (from the second episode, I think) and the old codger dude who has a motorscooter full of explosives (Count as TRANSPORT and EXPLOSIVES?) come to mind.

There are about half dozen prominent characters who may not fit in as Crew or Leaders: Khylen, Turin, Bellus, Delle Seyah Kendry... I think I'm forgetting one or two.

Any prominent characters from the first two seasons of either series that I'm forgetting? I know there are a few Galactic Authority folks from DARK MATTER, but they don't necessarily lend themselves to the feel of the game, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, space is 3 dimensional. So why not put the Quad on a separate board, connected to the halo in the southwest corner. Put it one or two spaces ABOVE the plane of the ecliptic. If one space, then it's easy, if two spaces you'ld need an intermediate board of adjacent spaces. So I'd stick to one space above the plane of the boardgame, at position whatever.

And I thought they named a planet or two, so making it the size of Heinlein or Murphy would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.