Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the "hidden knowledge" nature of many of the cards in this game, I'm wondering what the best approach is for teaching the game. Do the skill cards and initial starting position provide enough examples to teach the game?

I know there is a limited base of people who can answer this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe so. You are allowed to look at all the Skill cards before you start the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter includes a PNP for this purpose, though that was based on the beta rules. Have any rules changes invalidated it, or is it still useful for the purposes of teaching?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
PNP is too much work. It does seem like the Action cards plus starting location will cover enough to get started with basic concepts. Still deciding whether to mention the hidden numbers rule or leave it as a surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
PNP is too much work. It does seem like the Action cards plus starting location will cover enough to get started with basic concepts. Still deciding whether to mention the hidden numbers rule or leave it as a surprise.

I'd say that since you actively need to be keeping an eye out for hidden numbers, leaving it as a surprise might result in missed opportunities (you'd be the only one looking for them). You don't need to go into details regarding the mechanics (or of the mechanics for the banner symbols, for that matter), but it seems worthwhile to let them know that hidden numbers exist, and they should look for them. Maybe show them one of the (admittedly fairly obvious) examples from the campaign imagery and point out they won't always be so easy to spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
The Kickstarter includes a PNP for this purpose, though that was based on the beta rules. Have any rules changes invalidated it, or is it still useful for the purposes of teaching?

There were some minor changes - mainly food, state, and other separate decks were integrated into green/gold Adventure deck. Also discarding cards due to acquiring a state was changed a bit. Aside from that, the PNP is still good to learn the game, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read the rule book or watched the Rahdo Run through?

Ok so I've played the PnP demo. The rules for entering are literally like a few sentences, from then its like reading a choose your own adventure book. Totally self explanatory and simple, I think anyone could just come along and start "exploring " straight away with little more than a "this deck represents Idea's and is also health careful not to let it run out - look around the island for clues to solve the curse". I didn't even look at the Idea deck before starting it was really cool when something came up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that you could probably mostly go in with just a few comments on how the base rules work, but I also agree that you should at least show that the hidden numbers mechanic exists.

I can think of two ways to demonstrate hidden numbers:
1) Show the rulebook example.
2) Pull out the card from the rulebook example (Green 054) and show it to people so they can spot the number for themselves.

Edit: The second method doesn't actually work as
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The final copy of card 054 does not have a hidden number!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Thurston
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the starting area is basically the same as was used in the Rahdo runs through it videos, there is an obvious hidden number in the first few terrain cards, so you could just describe that mechanic when you see that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that as long as one person understands the rules, others can play the game blind. However, I predict one of two things will happen:
1) you'll end up explaining most of the rules before leaving the first tile
2) you'll lose, and probably fairy quickly

Why? Because on the other player's "turn" (understanding that turns are flexible) they may want to *do* something. And in order to do something, they'll have to draw cards. And the less you explain this step, the more cards they will draw (and the faster you'll lose).

You might want to run, say, the first tile as a "prologue" of sorts. Give a basic overview, then play the first tile solo, explaining concepts as you go along. You'll want to focus on how to decide numbers of cards drawn and the game impact of doing so. In fact, start off with a small number of cards in your action deck (maybe a half dozen, including a curse or two), and deliberately draw more cards than you should for each sample draw. That way you can illustrate how the action draw pile goes into the discard pile, then gets flipped over and drawn from until you die -- even though every challenge was easily overcome.

Then once you're dead, reset the tile and start the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given my game has arrived and I was able to sort it out last night, I thought I'd just mention that only one of my idea for teaching hidden numbers was flawed. This is because:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The actual card doesn't have a hidden number (at least in the position shown in the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that might be an "anti-spoiler", rather than a spoiler. Funny, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.