Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
...for a family setting:

1 Me - happy to play anything once, but generally gravitates to Euros
2 My wonderful wife - not really a gamer, but enjoying Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle and generally anything you cna play with a glass of wine (Splendor, Patchwork, Ticket to Ride: Europe, etc)
3 Our daughter (13) - happy to play pretty much anything (recent plays of Ethnos & Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle, but would probably have Dixit, Codenames and One Night Ultimate Werewolf as her favourite games)
4 Our son (15) - is an experienced gamer and regularly attends game groups, gravitates to more complicated games.

So given the number of these games currently available - Unlock series (all 3 together for Europe looks good value), exit series, escape the room series, Desckscape, I just wated some recommendations, especially from people who've played any of them with family groups including teenage children.

cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor is a good introduction to Escape Room Games. The difficulty is family friendly and many of the puzzles have a tactile element.

I have played most everything in the "TableTop Escape" genre, and in my opinion this is the best starting point for a group with mixed ages and gaming experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three "Exit" games and all three Unlock scenarios, and they're both very good. However, I much preferred the Exit games - and would recommend whichever of the three themes appeals to you the most to play first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and can comment on the following three titles:

Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor (ThinkFun)
Escape the Room: Secret of Dr. Gravely's Retreat (ThinkFun)
Escape Room: The Game (SpinMaster)

The third title (from SpinMaster) has the advantage that it contains four separate challenges, while the first two titles (from ThinkFun) only have one challenge in each. However the SpinMaster title is definitely much harder, and the retailer's suggested age for it is 16+. I think that younger teens can handle it if they like logic and puzzling, and have played an escape room game before and enjoy a tougher challenge, but I wouldn't recommend it as your first Escape Room game for them.

The ThinkFun titles are especially designed for families; they're great for older children, and yet there's enough going on for parents and adults to enjoy them too (although you might solve them much quicker). What I liked about them both is that they also have some dexterity puzzles, and actually require you to put pieces to together. The SpinMaster title is more about solving math and logic puzzles with pen and paper, and not quite as engaging. Of the two ThinkFun titles, you might find the Stargazer's Manor a little too easy, so for your family I'd recommend Dr Gravely's Retreat as a good place to start.

I've written detailed reviews on both the ThinkFun games, so if you want to know more of my thoughts, you can check those out here:
- The Stargazer's Manor: Ender's Comprehensive Pictorial Overview
- Dr Gravely's Retreat: Ender's Comprehensive Pictorial Overview

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.